Quicksand (1950) (1950)
Release Date: Jan 1, 1950 Wide
Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 388
Mickey Rooney, with his kid roles and musicals behind him, went for a major change of image in this harrowing film noir. He gives what many consider to be the best performance of his career as Danny Brady, a well-meaning grease monkey whose life is destroyed in less than a week. Danny finds himself short of cash when he's supposed to take out Vera (Jeanne Cagney), a waitress whom he's just met who works at a hash-house. He borrows 20 dollars from the cash register, planning on paying it back
Jan 1, 1950 Wide
Nov 7, 2000
Dan Brady auto mecha...
Vera Novak cafe cash...
Nick Dramoshag Penny...
Mackey garage owner
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Audience Reviews for Quicksand (1950)
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: I don't get it, why do you want to help me? When things were going good all I ever did was give you the runaround - now that I'm in a jam... why don't you get smart and stay away from me?
- Helen: I've been away from you too long - and it isn't any good! Don't you think that I know that I'm dumb to throw myself at a guy that doesn't want me?; don't you think I know I'm a fool to wait at a street corner for an hour just waiting for you to come out of a door? I know all that; but I can't help it. I fell in love with you the first time I saw you, Dan.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: I'll drive you home.
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: Give me a nickel, Danny. I'll show you how to beat this game. [After less than a minute at a pinball machine, Dan is highly impressed.] One ball. Hey Nick, pay me! I hit the jackpot.
- Nick Dramoshag Penny Arcade Owner: Here. [Nick gives Vera a couple dollars as a prize - then puts up an 'Out of Order" sign.] That's all for you.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: Hey, wait a minute. [Dan flips the sign back out of sight.] Go ahead honey, play it as much as you want.
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: Take it easy, Danny; I can handle Nick myself. I used to work here, didn't I Nick?
- Nick Dramoshag Penny Arcade Owner: [mumbling] yeah. you come back, huh?
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: [referencing a mink coat by running her fingers along the lapel of her own plain coat.] It's still in the window, Nick, just like yesterday.
- Nick Dramoshag Penny Arcade Owner: You crazy? - what do you think I am; a millionaire?
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: What's going on here?
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: Oh let's skip it. [taking Dan by the arm] Let's have our pictures taken. C'mon. See you later, Nick.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: [Honking car horn off camera as Vera comes out of diner. She turns and slowly walks several feet his way.] Taxi, lady?
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: Where's your meter?
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: I'll figure out the fare as we go along. [He chuckles]
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: You might over-charge me.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: I might at that. Hop in honey. [She opens the convertible's door and sits next to Dan.] Where'd you like to go.
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: Let's go downtown, window shopping.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: ahhh, how boring can you get.
- Vera Novak cafe cashier: [with a smirk] Well, that's what I want to do. We can do, uhh, something else, later.
- Dan Brady auto mechanic: You have a deal, Honey.
Discuss Quicksand (1950) on our Movie forum!