The Specialist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Specialist Reviews

½ January 31, 2016
That seat's taken.

An ex-girlfriend calls her ex-boyfriend and claims to have had her family killed by the mafia. The ex-boyfriend is a former bomb expert for a tactical force but he has retired. He reluctantly begins helping the girl only to find himself caught between the mafia and police officers working for the mafia.

"You know, the next time you order a hit you might want to consider taking out your decorator."

Luis Llosa, director of Sniper, Anaconda, Fire on the Amazon, The Feast of the Goat, and Crime Zone, delivers The Specialist. The storyline for this picture is very straightforward and unimaginative. The action scenes are just okay and the characters are mediocre. The cast delivers average performances and the cast includes Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, James Woods, Eric Roberts, and Rod Stieger.

"Anybody shoots and I shoot them."

I recently came across this on Netflix and decided to watch it again for the first time in a long time. I never thought this was anything special and having watched it again...I now know why. Overall, this is a very average addition to the action genre.

"That's new."

Grade: C
October 20, 2015
I suppose there's a reason why I never heard of this movie. All the cool explosions and Sharon Stone's sexy legs couldn't save this one. Heck, not even James Woods being his usual smarmy self made me like this one. The horrible plot combined with the ridiculous romantic subplot is what killed this. No doubt Sly Stallone's worst outing, blegh.
½ April 21, 2015
One generic poorly done movie.
September 11, 2014
Out of my favourite movies of the action and thriller genres 'The Specialist' would have to be one of my worst in these categories. Simply because it delivers several booby trap bombs going off, to eliminate specific targets, and that does sound fun, but not when there's absolutely no point to this movie at all.
The other major downside: Sylvester Stallone and Sharon Stone star as the two leads, and there's no proper definition or point to their parts.

Sylvester Stallone is ex-CIA Explosives Operative Ray Quick. After leaving the Agency for good the story travels many years further to present day and he is working as a lone earner, receiving high payments from regular people who are in need of an explosives expert for specific jobs that require that sort of technique. He receives a call from a pretty lady called May Munro ( Sharon Stone ), whom sincerely believes she's in need of a man of his explosive talents, but he's filled with doubt. Her problem: is highly personal and she has an undying thirst for vengeance and will stop at nothing to get his help. To Ray Quick's observation: her problem doesn't require his sort of techniques, but he makes up his mind to do the job.

The acting is alright. It's not too debatable like in a lot of American action movies; the performances of Stallone and Stone were expected from the audience to be the show stealers, but they're not really. James Woods is a superb actor in this who gives it a bit of gravity that it needs as nearly everything else makes the movie mentally a flop. The acting of Eric Roberts is also impressive. Woods and Roberts play the sort of perfect villains we always love to see in American action movies, for their villainous approach of their parts gives the movie a bit of delight. Woods is definitely the show stealer; there's no telling who would disagree.
It's not to say the acting of Stallone and Stone was awful; it's just not enough to give the spotlight performances of it.

This movie is based of one of the worst written screenplays. It delivers enough weirdness to make it boring and eventually questionable, with some dodgy pointless explosions caught up in the plot.
Stallone is a great presence to the movie as is Woods, but they're still in the middle of a weird mixture of bad screenplay writing and a misleading direction that needs a bit of work.

Ray Quick is a fine part for Stallone. He always suits those roles perfectly. What's awesome is watching him use big machine guns in awesome roles like John Rambo and we all love that. However in this role he lacks guns, has them hidden somewhere up his sleeves, and is the trigger finger this time for some nasty explosions. The change isn't all bad: he destroys enemies with bombs for a change instead of guns.
It's not all bad.
January 9, 2015
Sylvester Stallone is a specialist bomb maker who's recruited by Sharon Stone to put the three men responsible for her parents' death on ice. The premise is simple enough and the casting of James Woods as the over-the-top villain of the piece adds to the fun, but Stallone and Stone--aesthetically at their sultry best--lack the chemistry required to make us believe in their union. Overall, the film is well paced and the more than competent action and stunt sequences will ensure that this will please its target audience.

A box office hit, it was nominated for five Golden Raspberry Awards, winning Worst Actress (Stone) and Worst Screen Couple (Stallone and Stone).
½ December 7, 2014
At some point, every A-list actor winds up in a movie that isn't really worth the hype, and this movie is one of those examples where three big stars (in this case, Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone and James Woods) try their best in a movie that can only ever be mediocre. The story isn't very well constructed and it wasn't written very well, but in all fairness, that might be because every aspect of the plot seems all too familiar. Normally in a situation like this, the performances are what should save the day, but for the most part, it doesn't look much better. The acting is quite decent at times, but for most of the film, I wouldn't recommend expecting very stand-out performances (although James Woods makes for quite a competent villain in this film). The production values are decent, but it doesn't look very special at all. Not even the most explosive action scenes in the film make up for the overall mediocrity of this film, and that's perhaps the big problem with this film. While it could have been far worse, it doesn't actually do better. It's a by-the-numbers action movie with surprisingly less emphasis on action, and more of an emphasis on its double-dealing lead female.
½ September 5, 2014
It's not boring, but it is cheesy, predictable, outrageous, and in some places, unintentionally hilarious.
February 20, 2012
A film that had a lot of potential with an intriguing premise and cast but just never came together.
½ February 19, 2012
Just a guilty pleasure film with Sylvester stallone, Sharon stone, and James woods.
April 27, 2014
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
June 29, 2013
(40%)
One of Sly's weakest ever films, and despite the strong supporting cast, this is still very bland and uninteresting with little action or suspense. This also marks the start of his movie slump with the disappointing "Assassins", flawed "Judge Dredd" and awful "Driven" coming up that almost destroyed his career. Only worth a look for Sly completests.
½ January 31, 2014
good actioner but not much chemistry between sly & stone
January 16, 2014
An action film that owes everything to it's cast but lacks a bit of substance to really convince. Still it's fun, packed with action, betrayals & a beautiful Sharon Stone .... works for me guys.
March 11, 2007
A great action film full of great scenes, dialogue, intrigue, and a classic 1990's cast.
September 9, 2013
I enjoyed this film. I think it is entertaining. I have this film on Dvd and I love 2 watch it every now and then. Give this one a look. Great entertainment
August 11, 2013
Stupid Revenge Thriller That's Below Average, Has A Stupid Twist And Puts The Great Cast Of Sly Stallone, Sharon Stone, James Woods, Rod Steiger & Eric Roberts To Shame. A Dreadful Film.
½ June 9, 2013
I was well aware of this film's reputation, but I had a feeling that I was going to have fun with it, and I was not disappointed. The plot is convoluted, the acting is hilariously bad (Especially the performance by James Woods), there's plenty of action, shameless sex scenes and nudity, and cheesy music as well (Complete with the sexy saxophone music you'd expect from this era). Overall, if you enjoy nonsensical action flicks, The Specialist is a good piece of popcorn entertainment that will give you what you seek.
September 4, 2012
I own this on DVD in a four movie pack along with:
* Cobra (1986)
* Demolition Man (1993)
* Assassins (1995)

and i also own it on Blu-Ray
March 24, 2013
The simple-minded performances, the moronic dialogue, and the shockingly repetitious narrative add up to a flop of a film.
April 8, 2013
One of the worst films I've ever wasted my time watching.