Heavyweights (Heavy Weights) Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
July 1, 2012
This has got to be one of the worst ideas for a comedy that I've seen. The film should be a good comedy, but instead it just falls flat because to me it seemed to use the fat stereotypes a bit too much to create its humor. Thus, the film really didn't work, and ended up being pretty bad. This could have been a great film, but the script was too flawed, the acting was bad and the directing was unfocused. I think this film had potential of being very funny, but more than times than not, it fails to deliver laughter. Director Steven Brill can't seem to direct a good film, and Heavyweights is just an awful mess that actually could have been avoided. If the script was better, the cast was good and the director was more skilled, then maybe the film would have been better. There were just too many bad things going on on-screen to make this one worthy of seeing. In the long run, the film is very forgettable and is not worth seeing. There are too many areas where the comedy fails at making you laugh, and it's a film that simply doesn't work overall. I hated the film, and is one of the worst films I had to watch. There are far better comedies out there than Heavyweights. This film just fails at giving you good entertainment. The film is bad because it uses stereotypes constantly in a form of humor that just isn't funny. Avoid Heavyweights, this film is bad. The film is one poor comedy that simply isn't funny.
½ May 23, 2012
Insanely nostalgic. Tony Perkis and Lars are two of the greatest cult comedy characters of all-time! If you want to see Ben Stiller at his most over-the-top hilarious level, give this a look. And if you're a 90s kid, I'm sure you remember this film, too. If not, watch it now!
½ July 10, 2010
As an aspiring infomercial fitness-life coach-messiah playing God over a summer camp, Stiller goes out there, without fear of overplaying it, and it might be his best performance -- I think better than the variation in Dodgeball. Maybe the movie needs this hock of ham, since before Stiller's character takes over, the camp is a beloved dream vacation for kids -- motorized go-carts and track included -- who all happen to be fat and still won't ever feel deprived thanks to their abundant candy stashes. They had fun there because no one felt judged. This is sensitive and makes for a great family movie, even when the kids don't get the best jokes. I guess since I'm not 12, it's weird for me to see that all the kids harbor only goodwill toward each other, and only goodwill toward anyone except when they're being effed with by a psycho or jerk. Not that I'm asking for a Lord of the Flies where everyone is as fat as Piggy, but the movies Apatow wrote for adults, in suspended adolescence, didn't divide the world into good guys and villains, which made you feel you were being lied to before. -- Why am I being serious about this? It's a movie about a fat camp.
Chiefilms
March 1, 2008
Great Lines, emphasizes a massive consumption of food, so heck yea.

Update: From the creative genius of Steven Brill (Mighty Ducks) and Judd Apatow? In the 90's, Brill was a stud and Apatow was a dud. Brill peaked here and Apatow must have done some serious Perkis-sizing because after Heavyweights his career blossomed. I bet you no one has done an in depth analysis of the creative juicy forces behind Heavyweights. Ben Stiller out of nowhere dominates this movie, kills it. Goldberg is hilarious. Another 90's kid classic that still holds up.
July 28, 2009
i dont believe in magic, but for some odd reason i cant visit someone in the hospital without this poppin up on their t.v. aside from that its a pretty funny one and i think Judd Apatow wrote this?
MeetMeinMontauk
January 25, 2010
Dumb roommates... why do they force me to watch movies I KNOW I won't like?! A few little chortles, but really... not all that funny and really kind of offensive. Ben Stiller is so young in this! But I can definitely see a standard be set for all his future roles. *eyeroll*
September 14, 2009
I've never been able to relate to being fat, and never plan to, but still found this to be a very entertaining film and very much worth my time.
½ November 21, 2007
Did anyone actually think this was a legitimately good movie? Whatever. Childhood memories, etc etc.
October 14, 2007
Oh my.... OHHH MY!... YOU DISGUST ME!.. hahahah omg Tony perkis is def. the funniest character Ben Stiller has ever played!!!!! This movie is such a classic
½ June 2, 2006
It's not a very good movie. Funny at points, and creepy in others (like with Ben Stiller's character).
September 29, 2007
A past childhood favorite and a guilty pleasure of today.
May 12, 2007
This is a good movie for it's day and is still in my opinion, one of the last great adult Disney films there was. In this film we seen young pre-teen Gerry Garner come into a summer where he wants to just have fun, but his family is sending him off to Camp Hope, where it is a fun way for kids to be healthy and lose weight. Once Gerry gets there he realizes that things will not be as bad as it seems and that Camp Hope can be a very awesome place to be. That all changes however when a weight loss mogul named Tony Perkis comes and changes the camp and basically treats it like a dictator regime. This leads Gerry and the other heavyweights to rebel against Tony Perkis. Will it workout or can the kids expect their summer to be thwarted by a madman for health. Good movie, with plenty kid and adult humor that can make you enjoy this film again and again. I give this a 10 out of 10.
July 30, 2012
A cult classic that delivered on the silliness. Great early work from Ben Stiller, even if it is just a precursor to his Dodgeball work!
January 27, 2012
(4 Stars) "The Judd Apatow Disney Movie"... it exists and it's pretty funny. The first half of Heavyweights is very amusing and has a ton of quotable lines, so you can see why it's a cult classic. The story has so much potential for comedy: fat camp. And Ben Stiller as the insane Tony Perkins is very, VERY funny. So if you're a fan of these kinds of movies, that's enough to recommend watching it... but halfway through, the story jumbles and falls apart, which prevents me from loving it. I love when it's about fat kids VS a psycho health nut, but then it melts into fat kids VS rival camp of fit kids (aka underdogs VS obviously going to lose to underdogs by the end credits) and we've seen that before. The psycho health nut story isn't given that great of a payoff. However, I can't help but notice that the movie may have been hindered by its PG-rating; think of all the stuff they couldn't get away with. There's even a few over-dubbed lines, like the "Seymour Butts" scene, to tone down the language. But I can't say I'm too disappointed because I really like the premise and I laughed a lot for a PG-rated Disney movie. Heavyweights is very comical and due for a remake.
½ August 8, 2010
Ben Stiller's best movie ever? Probably pretty close...

Lovable and laughable campy classic about fat kids going to fat camp. Emphasis on the word "camp". Completely unrealistic plot line with semi-realistic dialogue, this movie is a great portrait of mid-90s America in all it's gloriously obnoxious splendor.

Just a fun teenage comedy that really starts to show it's wear after you've turned 18.
½ June 9, 2010
A very enjoyable movie. The first half is hilarious but it kind of loses its way in the second half. Still, it is a lot of fun.
June 11, 2009
Great summer movie. They don't make them like this anymore. Hilarious to watch. Ben Stiller performs his funniest role of his career.
March 30, 2009
this movie is soooooooooo funny!!! its a good one to just curl up and laugh your way to a better mood. if you haven't seen it, you should!
June 14, 2008
The movie is great, but it ruined Ben Stiller for me. I can't watch him anymore without thinking of this movie.
November 14, 2008
A family friendly comedy about a bunch of fat kids who rebel from their narcasitic and overbearing camp leader *led by Ben Stiller*. A good time is to be had by all.