The Old Dark House (1932)
Average Rating: 8.7/10
Reviews Counted: 6
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Jan 1, 1932 Wide
Average Rating: 3.6/5
User Ratings: 2,569
It's a wildly varied group that takes shelter from a raging English storm in the forbidding mansion of the Femm family. Among the reluctant guests are stuffed-shirt Philip Waverton (Raymond Massey): Philip's sensitive wife Margaret (Gloria Stuart); their mutual friend, disillusioned war veteran Roger Penderell (Melvyn Douglas); vulgar self-made millionaire Sir William Porterhouse (Charles Laughton); and Porterhouse's no-better-than-she-ought-to-be lady friend Gladys DuCane (Lillian Bond). Under
Jan 1, 1932 Wide
Aug 23, 1999
Watch It Now
Sir William Porterho...
Sir Roderick Femm
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It's a classic horror tale, the apotheosis of all "Old House" spooky films.
A great creeeeepy horror classic.
Richly atmospheric, beautifully crafted, creepy -- and most of all subversively funny and full of terrific dialogue.
Audience Reviews for The Old Dark House
- Sir William Porterhouse: Once you started making money it's hard to stop, especially if you're like me. there isn't much else you're good at.
- Margaret Waverton: For now heaven's sake stop, let's look at a map or something.
- Roger Penderell: My own view is we're not on a map.
Discuss The Old Dark House on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- The Old Dark House (1932) (DE)
- The Old Dark House (1932) (UK)