Blue

86% The Knick: Season 1

Blue Reviews

Cassandra M

February 10, 2011
Jarman's masterpiece was always going to attract a lazy criticism from the mainstream mindset: pretentious, trendy, self-indulgent etc.

But to dismiss it out of hand as no better than a first year art student's project is to fail to appreciate the rich narrative.

The coldness of the blue focusses the mind on what Jarman has to tell us, perhaps far better than any other colour would've done. We cannot help but listen, and take in one very gifted man's grim yet positive perspective on gay life, and a slow death through AIDS.

Brian Eno's musical score is stark and haunting, with passages of female vocal harmony that are strongly influenced by contempory sacred music from Eastern Europe.

Watch this film with an open mind: Force yourself to keep staring into the blue yonder, and it will empower you with a new level of vision and perspective.

January 27, 2010
With his final movie "Blue", Derek Jarman again takes an intriguing angle, again proving how visual the medium of film is, by using an empty blue screen for its entire running time to emulate his blindness caused by AIDS which would claim his life in 1994. As the Washington Post pointed out at the time, he had lost his sight, but not his vision with his personal testament to the world around him that is alternately sad, sardonic and angry, mourning his friends who had already died, much too numerous. And it is sad how in Derek Jarman, we lost a talented iconoclastic filmmaker long before his time.

One of the particular details Jarman focuses on is the color blue and all of its shades which normally we would never think about. And then you have the blues, the saddest of music. In the present day, the Blue Lanterns of DC Comics encompass hope.
SonnyLighstrome
January 17, 2008
A very good movie, but not for everyone as it is mostly a blue screen with various voice overs. The story behind this movie makes it must view material alone.
July 30, 2012
It's preposterous, the goodness of the lady that's revealed eventually. Her rejection of the society after the demise of her family which is considered blatant is at max a feeble with her inelegant way of saying 'no' to everything. I don't know what the audience believes and likes anymore. This is a piece of trash if I were to rate it even though I would gladly never acknowledge the movie myself.
April 15, 2012
this is not part of the Three Colors trilogy, so . . . wth.
Lili Black
April 10, 2012
I think everyone should be made to watch Three Colors: Blue (1993), Three Colors: White and Three Colors: Red (1994). Blue is my favorite where Juliette Binoche plays a woman who deals with the death of her composer husband and their child in a rather unique way. White is about a polish immigrant seeking revenge on his ex-wife and Red is about a model who discovers her neighbor invades the privacy of others. I always wish more people viewed world cinema but if I was to suggest a place to begin, it would be these films. Incredible story telling, off the scale acting, great direction, true artistry.
March 21, 2012
Didn't realise that 'Blue' (which is, a blue screen throughout?!) also has a trailer!!
May 21, 2011
Hermosa, aunque emocionalmente drenante. Cuidado. D.R.
Balasanjeevi
February 20, 2009
slow, beautiful and gripping

January 27, 2010

dfg
January 26, 2010
Blue has an unbelievable emotional depth that is just under the surface because of Juliette Binoche?s brilliant performance. The film breaks the surface with its haunting score and observant visuals creating an exceptional piece of filmmaking!!
Independence76
January 30, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]I expected this film to be in a possible top-notch section, but it came close. The way everything in the movie had a symbol of something[/font],[font=Century Gothic] and everytime we see a reflection, it's in some kind of distorted form until the end. The cast was perfect. All the right actors for all the right characters. The story seems to get off at a quick start. The story is quite bare, and sticks to a basic two or three sentences to explain it. All it is is a woman looses her daughter and husband (a famous composer, where in reality, she wrote all the music). She decides to seal herself off from the rest of the world any way she can, as if she's lived a whole different life. Through time, the same pieces of the composition that was never finished keeps going in her head. Over time, it becomes apparent, that she simply cannot fix her own problems. At the end, she finally realizes that we must accept what has happened. Other characters that she was involved with are shown questioning their immoral lives, realizing there must be some kind of authority.

All in all, this movie just didn't hit 10 for me. However, it was a very good cinematic experience that makes symbolism the true star of the movie.
[/font]
braziliancinemaforgringos
September 5, 2008
The Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski struck gold with the first of the very acclaimed 'Three Colours trilogy', the colours being those of the French flag. Kicking off with blue then is a very 'french' film in look and feel but one which is so enjoyably simple, yet clever and swimming in symbolism sub contexts that its impossible for a film buff like me not to be drawn in.

The striking imagery of the main meaning 'liberation' is wonderfully crafted and the acting is amongst the most natural and satisfying i've ever seen. This mainly courtesy of Juliette Binoche (Chocolat, The English Patient) who plays her role at ease and with a cold indifference which really shows how different people react to grief. AAfter losing her daughter and composer husband in a car accident she trys to live a quiet life away from all she has known, but of course it does not stay like that, as she begins to become free and liberated from the pain she has been caused.

These films are not going to be to everyones taste, but when they rely on no violence, sex, swearing they become very surreal and true and that is what makes this first entry an incredibly bold creation of symbolising such feelings. A genuine classic.

9.5
carl the critic
July 31, 2008
[i]Review coming soon.[/i]
Existence
August 27, 2007
This is a masterpiece of cinema. Dealing with liberty as its central theme, Blue eloquently expresses the complexity of finding freedom in the face of an unsympathetic world. Binoche's performance as Julie is powerful and engaging. Julie finds out that she can't find liberty by disconnecting herself from the events that have made her. Rather, she learns to accept who she is and who others are, finding true freedom in the altruism her husband knew her for and the aesthetic experience of the music that her husband was loved for. Kieslowski's directing is perfect. Each shot, scene, score, transition, etc. flows to create a smart and engaging experience.
perrik
August 12, 2007
This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. We watched the whole movie to see if we could figure out what all of the critics talked about, but we never found it. There were whole scenes of the movie that we fast forwarded through because no one was talking and NOTHING was happening. The most interesting part of the movie was a small scene where an old hunched over lady was trying to reach up and put a bottle in the recycling bin (which had nothing to do with the plot of the movie). :rotten:
drews