20% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Pocahontas Reviews

Alice S

April 12, 2014
For the past two years, I've had a hankering to rewatch "Pocahontas" to see if my childhood love for it still stands, and despite its glaring historical inaccuracies with Pocahontas's and John Smith's love plot, boy does it truly hold up in terms of animation, score, and message.

People are all praising millennial Disney princesses for not wanting to get married (Merida, Elsa, Anna), but they forget that 90s Disney heroines could be strong while still having love interests too. Mulan didn't want to get married at first; after fighting and winning the war, she sensibly invites Shang over for dinner. Pocahontas didn't want to get married at first; she falls in love with a perceived enemy but ultimately chooses to stay with her tribe.

The bold hues and watercolor effects are still captivating; "Just Around the River Bend" and "Colors of the Wind" are still sweeping and mature orchestral masterpieces; and the themes of interpersonal peace, ecological sustainability, and cultural understanding are still relevant and moving. So freakin' good!
Matthew Samuel M

November 26, 2012
One of the most powerful films in the Disney collection, Pocahontas suffers from a weak villain and some throw-away characters, but features raw emotions and tension, a haunting, beautiful score, and some of the best songs ever written for film.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 7, 2012
Pocahontas is one of the worst Disney films that I've seen. This was the end of an era as far as I'm concerned. The film was well drawn and had a good cast, but it just lacked the key ingredient that makes a Disney film so special. This film just feels like it was rushed and it just doesn't have anything memorable about. I really liked The Lion King, but this was such a disappointment. For me, it ranks as one of the most boring, uninspired Disney films. This could have been far better, but it failed to entertain me. This film feels uninspired and by Disney standards, it's a shame that they couldn't make a better film than this. This is a clichéd film that just doesn't succeed at pulling off what it tries to do. There are so many great Disney films, but Pocahontas just feels like the filmmakers took the easy way out by rehashing the same old ideas that have made Disney a brand name. By this point, you could tell that animated features were no longer the studios strong point, and as a result they would start to venture into more live action films. The Lion was a great film, this one, not at all, and then there was The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a decent flick, but nothing good or great. This film had potential in being a great little flick, unfortunately, it fails. If you want a terrific film about Pocahontas, watch The New World.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Good+
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic! I loved Pocahontas as a child!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I loved this movie when I was a kid, but now, I'm not as crazy about it. It does have a good Disney Princess, good songs, and nice animation. The story isn't fantastic, but it's good enough for a kids movie. Overall, a good Disney movie.
michael e.
michael e.

May 3, 2011
not the best disney movie and definitely doesnt follow history at all
Jennifer X

May 30, 2007
It blew my mind when I found out John Smith was played by Mel Gibson. I don't think I've ever seen a proper Mel Gibson movie, save for this one. Regardless, I just don't buy the romance between Pocahontas and Smith. Just because you guys had a jaunt painting with all the colors of the wind I'm supposed to believe that your love is one for the history books? Please. Plus Kokoum was ten times hotter.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
Pocahontas is a severely under-appreciated movie. On the basis that it contains the voice talents of Mel Gibson and Christian Bale alone makes it a must see. It also has some really great ideas about the world that existed before the English took over America. Sure, some of it is historically shady and the supernatural element is hokey, but it's the best way to tell the story of Pocahontas to kids. The truth is, this is a very well done movie that is much more fun and genuine than it gets credit for.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 16, 2011
A really enjoyable kids movie, but what really stands out is the mind bending and wonderful music. The story will bore some kids, but other will really like this.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C+
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
The end of Disney draws nigh.
3niR
3niR

January 23, 2010
Everything about this movie was cheap. But still I will give it two star because somehow I find it a little tiny miny bit interesting.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Holy racism! Why am I shocked? Mel Gibson and Disney. Ouch.
Jason O

September 14, 2009
Not one of my favorite Disneys
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
another disney classic. just not as classic as others
Emily A

July 15, 2007
This movie is one of the indicators that contemporary Disney hand-drawn animation was going down. A really ridiculously romanticized plot and an unlikeable title character make this hard to watch. The villain wasn't even any good. I can't think of anything good to say about this. Blech. It didn't even entertain me as a child.
deano
deano

November 23, 2006
While not an instant classic on a par with other contemporary animated musicals from the Disney Studios, Pocahontas is still a genuine pleasure, with fine songs, superb animation, and a story that can entertain young and old alike.
Luke B

December 17, 2007
Relies too much on Disney's formula. Adds nothing new and no effort seems to of been put into the character designs or songs. Even the vocal talents are pretty flat and it also contains DIsney's least threatening and laughable villain. Don't mind about the historical inaccuracies as this is Disney. Terence Malick's The New World this is not.
Dan S