The Prophecy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prophecy Reviews

blkbomb
February 12, 2013
Gabriel: I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

"There is a war in heaven and hell is about to break loose."

The Prophecy is a pretty good little religious horror, thriller. If there's one way of describing this film, it would have to be, interesting. Every development in the plot and with the characters(humans and angels alike) are all very interesting. If there's a problem with the film, it's the lack of satisfaction that comes from the ending. As the movie wrapped up, I was left with a feeling that someone came up with a great story, but had no satisfactory way of ending it. All in all though, this is still a more than worthwhile movie.

Thomas once had the voice of God with him, and he was on his way to becoming a priest. Then on the day he was to be ordained, the voice left him. Now he is a detective, but with his knowledge of the bible and angels, he soon comes to realize that there is a second war among the angels going on. This war concerns the souls of all humans. See, a group of angels became jealous when humans were given souls and they weren't. A fallen angel named Gabriel is now lurking around trying to find the darkest of all souls, which was hidden in a little girl, and Thomas has taken it upon himself to save the little girl.

Although the story is pretty intriguing, the best part of this film has to be Christopher Walken as Gabriel. There couldn't have been a more perfect choice for Gabriel then Walken. Also, Elias Koteas, a very underrated actor does a good job as Thomas, and Viggo Mortensen shows up near the end as Lucifer in one of the more optimistic characterizations of him we've seen.

The Prophecy is by no means a great film, but it is an entertaining and fairly well thought out one. These religious horror films almost always turn out bad, and it's nice to see that every once in a while, a good one can be made. This is worth a look, if not just for Christopher Walken's performance.
garyX
November 8, 2006
The two sides of an angelic civil war hunt for the soul of a war criminal who may tip the balance of power in a backwater town in Arizona. The Prophecy slipped under the radar at the time because it was a straight to DVD release, but don't let that put you off. Rather than big budget effects and star names, the strengths of this film are in its excellent cast, strong concept and some smart dialogue making for an entertaining off beat thriller. Very much in the vein of the X-Files, The Prophecy combines a police investigation with religious mythology and the supernatural and features some nice Tarantino-esque humour. Christopher Walken's trademark charisma and eccentricities make him perfect for the part of a malevolent angel and Viggo Mortensen makes a memorable Lucifer. This of course means the bad guys are much more interesting than the heroes and the narrative doesn't flow as well as it might; the ending is actually something of an anti-climax. But the good far outweighs the bad in a film that has influenced everything from Dogma to TV show Supernatural. Well worth a look if you're a fan.
½ November 18, 2009
I really enjoyed the whole idea that this movie was approached by more of a sci-fi aspect than religious. It's shot really well, the acting was surprisingly great and the story is original. Christopher Walken as Gabriel, Viggo as Lucifer and Elias Koteas as a detective. It's almost too good. I just really liked the overall tone of the film, it was able to jump from comedy to drama and horror.
January 4, 2009
Chris Walken and Eric Stoltz were great, but something was just lacking.
puffchunk
½ November 30, 2007
Walken is great as usual, and Viggo Mortenson playing Satan is pretty cool. I generally like movies about heaven or hell, so it gets those bonus points, but overall not something amazing.
½ November 19, 2006
One of the best and finest supernatural thrillers made in years. An extroadinary, haunting, stylish and riveting edge of your seat thriller. Lots of action, humor, suspense and intelligence. Christopher Walken gives an outstanding performance. Wickedly entertaining and cool.
June 6, 2012
The Prophecy is a dark, supernatural thriller that doesn't quite live up to its potential. The story follows a celestial battle led by the archangel Gabriel, who comes to Earth in search of a weapon that will turn the tide in his favor. The cast is fairly solid, and includes Christopher Walken, Elias Koteas, Virginia Madsen, Eric Stoltz, and Viggo Mortensen. Christopher Walken has tremendous screen presence and a great dry humor that is both funny and threatening. But the script is weak and fails to clearly outline the celestial conflict, what the weapon is, that it will do, and what the stakes are. The Prophecy has a lot of problems, yet it still has an interesting story and some fun moments.
½ July 24, 2011
The Prophecy is an odd film to gain cult status, but I can almost see why. Though it's often cheesy, especially the out-of-date special effects, most of the elements work together well. You have a cast that fits, all of whom play the absurd material straight, with special recognition going to Christopher Walken. The script is surprisingly refined, with the film often succeeding in being both funny and creepy. All in all, it hits on most of the right notes.
½ July 17, 2013
If you just watch the scenes one by one of The Prophecy, this might seem like a solid creepy film. Once they are all cluttered together and you look back at previous scenes you realize how bad this film is. The script was meaningless, instead of demons coming to earth lets put evil angels who don't curse. Writer Gregory Widen seemed to be making this up as he went not taking into account what was happening before and what he will do next. He must've figure why the hell not direct this, since no one else will be able to "display my image", and Christopher Walken was bored with his other projects so jumped on in. It's not scary, it's not creative, and it does an atrocious job of bringing spirituality in. Will not watch the sequels.
March 5, 2010
Its a dull and lifeless thriller. The idea behind it is really good, but it isn't executed well. People rave about Walken in this but he just seems lost here. The only good parts are at the end with a very young Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer, who is damn good. Too bad he is only in about five minutes of the movie.
August 26, 2012
I thought the cast of this movie meant that it would be great, but it just wasn't.
½ December 28, 2008
I liked the concept behind the film. It was entertaining. Viggo Mortensen was quite good in being evil.
KeepGuessing
½ June 17, 2008
Cool movie. I've always been a fan of movies which tackle the darker side of Catholicism.
November 6, 2007
Really only worth watching for yet another cool performance by Mr. Walken. I quote:

"Go to Hell!"

"Heaven. At least get the zipcode right."

Otherwise it's not a bad film, just very average.
iLeo
March 29, 2007
"Marked by fate, doomed by prophecy...Time is running out for mankind!"
How can one not be intrigued by that, here is the best & the first of the Prophecy collection. A film led by an all-star cast of actors: Christopher Walken, Elias Koteas, Virginia Madsen, Eric Stoltz, Adam Goldberg, Amanda Plummer, and-lo and behold-Viggo Mortensen (with a small part, that is). Of course this also gives a heartening welcome to uprising star, Moriah Shining Dove Synder. This movie is a reflection of Walken's ingenuity as he portrays an archangel, Gabriel. Mortensen also shines as the infamous fallen angel, Lucifier. Elias Koteas as Thomas Daggett, a detective who was about to become a priest but lost his faith in God. The film location is Superior, Arizona. This film gives a slight recognition to Native Americans (particulary Navajos). For example: Lucifer speaking a Navajo word that details "continue/go forth", a short scene where Mary is getting help by a hand trembler (a Navajo doctor who diagnoses which type of ceremony to use to "heal" [a person]), and of course, the last scene in the movie where a singing is taking place and Mary sits on a sandpainting (which also refers back to a Navajo ceremony). Fascinating! There's a cultural reference. Of course, there's Adam Goldberg. He's one among my favorite actors, and is simply brilliant in this movie. He portrays Jerry, a guy who commits suicide but is brought back to life by Gabriel (Walken) to serve, and through the film gives innovative, quirky quotes that only Goldberg is known for (which makes him terrific in my opinion).
--------------------------------------
Favorite scene:
Gabriel: It's not here.
Jerry: Bad news for the war effort.
Gabriel: SHUT UP!

EXCELLENT MOVIE!! IT'S A MUST SEE-
DrLappos
May 20, 2007
Walken is fantastic as this super evil angel.
½ April 10, 2015
Christopher Walken, Elias Koteas and Eric Stoltz do a great job at introducing us to the second War of the Angels. This is an interesting story with low-key effects and a delicious performance by Walken. Better than average.
January 21, 2015
This is the only movie I've seen from this franchise, and after sitting through this one I can't imagine wanting to see several more like it. It was mildly entertaining and just dark enough that I figured I might as well sit through it and see what happened, but there's nothing memorable about it. Even Christopher Walken seems weak in this role.
October 16, 2014
While The Prophecy can be just OK, I'll give it four stars because Christopher Walkens performance is fantastic.