Mel Gibson to Direct "Apocalypto" Now

Variety reports on the next project from director Mel Gibson, and it's some sort of ancient civilization action epic entitled "Apocalypto". Disney will distribute the film, which is being fully financed by Gibson's own Icon Productions.

"Gibson will not star in "Apocalypto" and may not use a star for the film, which is set in an ancient civilization some 3,000 years ago. The title is a Greek term which means "an unveiling" or "new beginning." Consistent with such Gibson films as "Braveheart" and "Passion," the script depicts abundant action and violence. Gibson has already begun pre-production; he is setting locations and has already begun casting."

Shooting will begin later this year in Mexico; Mr. Gibson plans to have the movie ready for the summer of 2006.

Comments

Pmflood1

First Last

uiyuiyiyuiyukyuk MEL GIBSON NEXT BLOCKBUSTER I HOPE!

Jul 22 - 08:41 AM

Pmflood1

First Last

MEL GIBSON IS THE COOL!~

Jul 22 - 08:41 AM

shanti venus

shanti ashanti

[b]awesome![/b]
now what happens to Under and Alone with Antoine Fuqua?

Jul 22 - 11:10 AM

shanti venus

shanti ashanti

[b]how about...[/b]
how about that movie he was supposed to do with Colin Farrell? what happens to that too?

So many questions!

Jul 22 - 11:11 AM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

i heard he was preparing a movie about john paul II, he even got a film crew on the funerals
not that i care about, i hate any kind of religion

Jul 22 - 01:29 PM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Sounds good. I think he should use some talented supporting acrtor who's not really that well know to the general public for the lead. Give someone their big break, like Bale with Batman.

Jul 22 - 07:56 PM

Sinizine

Fake Name

You do realize at the end of the movie, Gibson will approach the screen and scream at you for being filthy pagans watching movies about heathens right? Then he'll crap himself like in South Park.

Jul 23 - 03:37 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]Sinizine[/b]
what the hell are you talking about?

Jul 23 - 07:24 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]love machine[/b]
I think that Pope film is in the backburner, I think they took foottages in case they would need actual shots of the funeral.

Jul 23 - 07:25 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]lovelykeira[/b]
Christian Bale would be awesome but he's not considered a big star also. Jim Caviezel was fairly known when he was cast, but someone of his caliber would do.

Jul 23 - 07:27 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]either way[/b]
this should be awesome. I have great faith in my man Mel!

Jul 23 - 07:28 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]and about Colin Farrell[/b]
that would be cool if that movie happens. I heard it will be directed by Terrence Malick so that would be just about even more awesome I can taste!

Jul 23 - 07:32 AM

idiotproof

Jason Murphy

[b]Apocalypto..Disney? Wholesome apple pie violence[/b]
Gibson is a hypocrite, homophobe & a subtle evangalist.
How can one be all godly & Christian & then be in films in which death is portrayed merely for entertainment. He's made a career out of it.
And if a Christian makes a film about pagans & heathens then I'll be up in arms about it, just like if a non-Chrizzo made one on the pope. Ha ha!

But if Malick directs it I'll go & see it.

Jul 23 - 07:51 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

[b]Anti-Christianity[/b]
This tells me only that you don't know many Christians, haven't studied Christianity enough to have an informed opinion, and pay WAY too much attention to the media.

Have you read the Bible? Do you know how much justified violence is in that thing? Any Christian that claims to be a total pacifist doesn't know their own faith. Not justifying everything Mel's done in his earlier years, but we all act hypocritically or make other mistakes. Give him a break.

Jul 23 - 11:07 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

[b]re: Apocalypto..Disney? Wholesome apple pie violen[/b]
Mel will direct THIS movie. He's also screenwriting and producting it. Mallick directs the Mel and Colin Farrell flick (supposedly). Anyway, I can't comment with your religious comments and other stuff you mentioned as I don't know him personally. I suppose you don't either, but you seem extremely affected by him. :)

Jul 23 - 08:06 AM

princepipi

First Last

[b]Awesome!!![/b]
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Jul 23 - 08:13 AM

idiotproof

Jason Murphy

Maybe because I'm Australian & we hear more on his warped viewpoints down here. He just gets himself into trouble by saying stupid things.

Jul 23 - 08:39 AM

villie_bee

goat big goat

He's not even Australian. This one I don't get. He was born in New York and even now lives in California. His and his family's nationality is "American". He lived there, true and probably has a vacation house there, but that doesn't make him Australian.

So how do you guys know and hear more about him than us? My impression now is what reaches your radar are tabloid stuff.

Can you give me an example? I'm just interested.

Jul 23 - 09:13 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

[b]Anti-Christianity[/b]

Jul 23 - 11:07 AM

Smokey Jones

Stephen Wagner

[b]Look...[/b]
Look, Mel Gibson is, and always has been a great actor. And he's shaping up to be a great director. I myself am a huge fan of his and can't wait for his next project, whatever it may be.

Jul 23 - 06:13 PM

donna542004

Donna A.

And he has a nice ass! :D
Donna A.

Jul 23 - 06:53 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday