The Scarlet Letter Reviews

June 10, 2013
M'eh. Demi Moore was a poor choice to star in this classic story. She doesn't really have the gravitas to pull it off and she's got zero chemistry with Oldman. I'd recommend it if you don't want to read the book and Cliff's Notes are too expensive. Otherwise, it's not much of a diversion.
August 23, 2011
A ridiculously loose adaptation that squanders the depth of its source material in favor of a generic overlong soap opera with laughably ham-fisted symbolism. English teachers may get a good laugh but otherwise stay far away from this star-studded turkey.
ScoopOnline
½ December 19, 2009
When intimacy is forbidden and passion is a sin, love is the most defiant crime of all.
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Very poor adaptation of the book, they changed the ending!
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
overly sappy an dramamtic
nuheart
January 5, 2007
Dimsdale lives? What a lame-ass, Hollywood cop-out!
February 7, 2008
Curse you, Chillingworth! Not as good as the Crucible.
June 7, 2008
Demi Moore is married but shags Gary Oldman anyway, and it's all very "Oh, Reverand", "Oh, Eliza"...I think that was her name, anyway, she has his child but won't say it's his so she gets sent to prison. Not sure exactly what happened after that as I got bored and started making up my own script involving time travel and the necessity of laser guns. I noticed that Robert Duvall popped up and went insane, then Gary Oldman was standing in the rain crying. Skipped a few chapters...then Moore had to wear a red 'A', hence the title, and then Oldman offers to give his life for hers, and then indians attacked, Robert Duvall died but I didn't see how, and then they rode off into the sunset together. Well, it wasn't a sunset, but you get the idea. Oh, and there was a bit where a slave girl stripped off for a bed that flew in the window. Actually, the best bit was finding out that Gary Oldman has no recollection of making this film as he was drunk the whole time.
iLeo
½ December 15, 2007
Beautiful!
½ May 25, 2007
Just when I thought I could watch Gary Oldman in anything.
½ October 8, 2014
When they say that this movie is "freely adapted" from the book by Nathaniel Hawthorne they are not kidding! This movie hardly resembles the story told in the book.
April 13, 2013
Not a faithful retelling of the novel, however it tells you that at the beginning by stating it is "freely adapted." Regardless, the story is a classic and retains its power even in today's society when you compare it to classes of people who are stigmatized and stunned for their actions. I found the acting to be above average; of course I could watch Demi Moore paint her toenails and be totally fascinated. The movie was longer than I felt it needed to be, and the ending is a cop-out. Worth seeing though.
June 26, 2008
Pretty much a Hollywood happy, dumb-downed. feminist version of the novel. This movie takes great liberties with the book and tries to make the minister out to be a John Smith, involving an unnecessary subplot with Indians. The directing was bad and the plot predictable, long, and corny. The sex scene was not very good at all, very bad! However, the acting wasn't that bad and it did feel like the time period. Some good romantic lines and parts and I particularly liked Oldman as Dimmesdale. The ending was completely changed from the book and the villain's death was inconsequential.
December 27, 2008
I have not read the book and that is a good thing. I have been told that this movie has the same characters, the same plotline, but severe differences- including in who lives and who dies. Thanks to my obsession with Gary Oldman in long hair, I enjoyed this. Demi I could take or leave behind- she's always playing the strong/tortured woman. Duvall is just plain crazy (he does that well) and in a movie centering around puritan America and what they consider 'sin', it's frustrating to see so many hypocrites on their high horses (as the characters keep pointing out). It seemed to me the only reason the Algonquin were put in there was a plot device- for Mr. Prynne to go crazy and the near end massacre that provided a convenient escape from the gallows. This is best taken for what it is- a period romance. I would liken it to Sommersby.
November 24, 2008
This will be the one movie with Gary Oldman that I will never own. And I'm including Lost in Space.
June 18, 2008
Read the book; it's better. I should follow my own advice and finish the book (I never finished it; too boring for me).
½ November 12, 2007
As far as I can remember this one, it was wonderful, though I did get a bit board after the whole sex scene..I will have to re watch it to fairlyjudge it
October 26, 2007
totally diferent from the book! if the book was boring the movie was ever more. the performances by gary oldman and robert duvall kinda saved the show but still it wasnt good at all.
hated the book, hated the movie
October 6, 2007
This actually was a pretty good movie if I remember right. Its been a while since I have seen it, but I am a sorta fan of the novel so I will recommend it.
August 23, 2007
Gary Oldman's amazing performance is really the only reason to see this. It deviates a lot from the book.