—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Scarlet Letter Reviews

Christian C

June 10, 2013
M'eh. Demi Moore was a poor choice to star in this classic story. She doesn't really have the gravitas to pull it off and she's got zero chemistry with Oldman. I'd recommend it if you don't want to read the book and Cliff's Notes are too expensive. Otherwise, it's not much of a diversion.
Christopher H

August 23, 2011
A ridiculously loose adaptation that squanders the depth of its source material in favor of a generic overlong soap opera with laughably ham-fisted symbolism. English teachers may get a good laugh but otherwise stay far away from this star-studded turkey.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
When intimacy is forbidden and passion is a sin, love is the most defiant crime of all.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Very poor adaptation of the book, they changed the ending!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
overly sappy an dramamtic
nuheart
nuheart

January 5, 2007
Dimsdale lives? What a lame-ass, Hollywood cop-out!
a b

February 7, 2008
Curse you, Chillingworth! Not as good as the Crucible.
Marcus W

June 7, 2008
Demi Moore is married but shags Gary Oldman anyway, and it's all very "Oh, Reverand", "Oh, Eliza"...I think that was her name, anyway, she has his child but won't say it's his so she gets sent to prison. Not sure exactly what happened after that as I got bored and started making up my own script involving time travel and the necessity of laser guns. I noticed that Robert Duvall popped up and went insane, then Gary Oldman was standing in the rain crying. Skipped a few chapters...then Moore had to wear a red 'A', hence the title, and then Oldman offers to give his life for hers, and then indians attacked, Robert Duvall died but I didn't see how, and then they rode off into the sunset together. Well, it wasn't a sunset, but you get the idea. Oh, and there was a bit where a slave girl stripped off for a bed that flew in the window. Actually, the best bit was finding out that Gary Oldman has no recollection of making this film as he was drunk the whole time.
iLeo
iLeo

December 15, 2007
Beautiful!
Anthony V

May 25, 2007
Just when I thought I could watch Gary Oldman in anything.
June 26, 2008
Pretty much a Hollywood happy, dumb-downed. feminist version of the novel. This movie takes great liberties with the book and tries to make the minister out to be a John Smith, involving an unnecessary subplot with Indians. The directing was bad and the plot predictable, long, and corny. The sex scene was not very good at all, very bad! However, the acting wasn't that bad and it did feel like the time period. Some good romantic lines and parts and I particularly liked Oldman as Dimmesdale. The ending was completely changed from the book and the villain's death was inconsequential.
December 27, 2008
I have not read the book and that is a good thing. I have been told that this movie has the same characters, the same plotline, but severe differences- including in who lives and who dies. Thanks to my obsession with Gary Oldman in long hair, I enjoyed this. Demi I could take or leave behind- she's always playing the strong/tortured woman. Duvall is just plain crazy (he does that well) and in a movie centering around puritan America and what they consider 'sin', it's frustrating to see so many hypocrites on their high horses (as the characters keep pointing out). It seemed to me the only reason the Algonquin were put in there was a plot device- for Mr. Prynne to go crazy and the near end massacre that provided a convenient escape from the gallows. This is best taken for what it is- a period romance. I would liken it to Sommersby.
November 24, 2008
This will be the one movie with Gary Oldman that I will never own. And I'm including Lost in Space.
wistre
June 18, 2008
Read the book; it's better. I should follow my own advice and finish the book (I never finished it; too boring for me).
calivettech
November 12, 2007
As far as I can remember this one, it was wonderful, though I did get a bit board after the whole sex scene..I will have to re watch it to fairlyjudge it
cp1923
October 26, 2007
totally diferent from the book! if the book was boring the movie was ever more. the performances by gary oldman and robert duvall kinda saved the show but still it wasnt good at all.
hated the book, hated the movie
October 6, 2007
This actually was a pretty good movie if I remember right. Its been a while since I have seen it, but I am a sorta fan of the novel so I will recommend it.
ambitiousdreams
August 23, 2007
Gary Oldman's amazing performance is really the only reason to see this. It deviates a lot from the book.
mrsrhettbutler
January 5, 2007
Okay so I have FINALLY seen this movie!! I was a bit skeptical, because I enjoy the book and was wondering how "loosely adapted" this movie was going to be. Well...it turns out that it is VERY "loosely adapted" but still decent. I am not a big Demi Moore fan but she was okay in this movie. And Gary Oldman. God!!!! First of all I LOVE Gary. I mean c'mon, he plays a brilliant terrorist, a TERRIFIC Dracula, and (even though he is a bit old for the role) a spot on Sirius Black. But man, I don't think I truly recognized his talent until this movie. His interp and the movie's interp of Arthur Dimmsdale was slightly different than I imagined when I read the book but it was incredible. I do not think I can gush ENOUGH!!! EVERY look was spot on. Even when he didn't say a word you could tell what he was thinking, feeling, and hoping from every glance. He has always held a bit of magnetisim in his performances, even if he is the bad guy, but in this movie he truly draws you in. Maybe it is just because I have become recently obsessed with dear Gary but I could not keep my eyes off of him, watching his every look and reading them like a book, breaking my heart all the way. I like to think I am at least a decent actress but MAN Gary takes acting to a whole new level in this movie. Alright, I have rambled enough. Decent movie, GREAT PERFORMANCE from Gary Oldman.
July 11, 2007
What in the world compels a filmmaker to create a sappy love story out of this? Did they actually READ the book?