Kicking and Screaming - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kicking and Screaming Reviews

September 27, 2015
Decent. Beginning of something good, but not quite there yet. All the comedy's pacing felt just a bit off. Maybe it needed better editing or just better acting, but none of it landed. I saw so many of the same dynamics I saw in Baumbach's other films, but they didn't stick here.
½ September 3, 2015
And I mean *no one*. These actors sleepwalk (and sleepsmoke) their way through the film with pseudo-intellectual dialogue that is so obviously contrived and unbelievable. It's meant to be hip and deep, but it just sounds ridiculous. Plus, no one comes close to "kicking and screaming" in this film. It should have been called "Moping and Smoking".
September 3, 2015
This is essentially Noah Baumbach's Slacker or Dazed and Confused. Mostly focusing on a group of high school graduates, they usually just sit around drinking, smoking, and doing not much of anything while they try to find meaning in their lives. There's some good moments here and there, and ultimately the easy going nature may be a turn off for some. But the dialogue is fantastic, and that's why I watched this film.
May 11, 2015
A very well written "Generation X" comedy about a group of friends who recently graduated from college and are confused about how to move on with their lives. The movie feels very surreal and runs heavily on its dialogue, which is absolutely fantastic. It is extremely quotable and underrated, in my opinion. Not all the characters are interesting, but most of them seem to work and mesh together quite nicely. It's a very slow movie as well but the humor and character interactions flowed so well, never allowing it to feel sluggish or boring.
½ August 4, 2015
"Kicking and Screaming" is largely devoted to a band of entitled, interchangeable, pretentious white boys and their struggles after college (a struggle Baumbach would later return to with "Frances Ha" yielding much more rewarding results). These types are typically the most irritating people on earth, and these characters certainly have their grating moments; that being said, a majority of the film exists to mock their put-on sensibilities and their obvious condescension and as a result, you end up rooting for them anyway. Putting aside the annoying, very writerly indulgences (like a derivative scene involving a writers' workshop containing a meta-critique of the film) and while it's certainly not Baumbach's best work, the constant stream of witty lines and the humorous insights into the awkwardness of college life make it a consistently entertaining (if often glib) debut.
July 3, 2015
Kicking and Screaming, Noah Baumbach's directorial debut feature, has Baumbach stamps all over it. A movie about four college graduates, who are pretentious, pseudo-intellectual in their own way, trying to figure out what they want to do in their lives. The writing is so intelligent and insightful, the dialogue could've fallen flat if it was spoken by average college stereotypes. Thankfully, they are not. Everybody is so lost in time and forced to face the real life, like any college graduates would be. I liked the characters and did identify with them. It's a wonderful slice-of-life film. It's not for everybody, but if you like talking about philosophy, art, ideology, Kicking and Screaming is a perfect movie for you. It's really good,
May 28, 2015
I swear this film has been on my Netflix queue for almost 10 years and it's really stupid of me that I've never watched it until today as it was a really good movie and one I would have appreciated even mores years ago when the characters would have been my age. The dialogue is really good and really carried the film. I've liked a lot of Noah Baumbach films and this one, his first film, was one of his best in my opinion. The cast all do really good jobs and I liked the casting of all of the characters, even though it did take a little bit of time to keep them all straight. Overall a great Generation X coming of age film for the college graduates.
January 29, 2015
Nineties indie about a group of young adults trying to start threir life after college. Baumbachs debut is a child of its time in good and the bad. A bit dated but has many witty dialogue scenes and situations we're all familiar with at that age.
May 21, 2013
For anyone who has faced the real world, and promptly ran away from it--Save yourself..!!
February 22, 2014
another generation X comedy like 'slacker' or 'singles'
January 31, 2014
it was okay but i felt the characters were unlikable and the plot crashed from cold irony into dripping sentimentality toward the end
September 13, 2013
It's one of Noah Baumbach's early works and as a fan of "The Squid and the Whale" was really curious to see this. It's about a group of college students who just graduate or are about to graduate. It's a wonderful film about young adult characters each struggling to move on to the next phase of their lives. This movie could have gone wrong in so many different ways. It could have been boring, the characters could have been annoying, it could have been too preachy, etc. But it's almost none of that. Instead, what I got are strong hints of a terrific cinematic voice in writer-director Noah Baumbach. It's a delightful, funny, poignant film.
August 23, 2013
Smart and astute, but lacks emotion
½ June 19, 2013
The dialogue just kills. It's a bit stiff, and not quite ripe, but there are few complaints for this one.
½ April 25, 2012
The slow pace makes it a little hard to stick through but if you do you are in for a treat. Keenly observed characters and story with the greatest sense of relatable melancholy I've ever felt. Hilarious dialogue and wonderful acting; a fantastic story.
March 6, 2013
This is one of the best films you will ever see. The cast, the story, the whole film...sublime!
December 12, 2012
An incredibly poignant, wonderful film... doomed to forever being remembered as "Isn't that the Will Ferrell soccer movie?"
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ January 18, 2012
The monotone nature of every character in the film dominates and it does so in a surprisingly effective manner. There is nothing visually exciting or developmentally exciting, the film is all about these young adults interactions with one another.
August 2, 2012
Witty dialogue, relateable characters, and philosophical remarks. And it appears that Mr. Baumbach continued to make good movies after that.