Jumanji Reviews

½ August 15, 2014
Not only the special effects and make-up are atrocious but this excruciating movie also wants us to care about a silly game that has nothing compelling or adventurous about it and whose rules seem ridiculously arbitrary - and it all ends on an awfully sentimental conclusion.
paul o.
December 14, 2012
Probably the one movie every kid in the 90's had or wanted to see.
LWOODS04
½ September 28, 2008
"Jumanji has always been one of those films that are just a lot of mindless fun to watch. I have watched this movie more times then I would like to admit. But it is one of my favorites from my childhood. But I still love it as much as an adult then I did as a kid. Robin Williams will always be a huge favorite of mine. Bonnie Hunt is funny and I miss her in movies. The movie is great for all ages to enjoy. So if you get a chance, see it with your kids, or see it by yourself. Either way you can't come from this movie not liking it. I'll probably see it at least a dozen more times before the year is over with lol."
½ December 3, 2007
Surprising winner here which hits all the targets really well, its fun, exciting, well acted and looks good. Surprising because I recall this coming out and the trailer looked pretty dumb really, lots of CGI and not much else really, the effects were pretty special back then, I guess that was the hook. But blow me there was actually a really good story in there too.

There's an original fantasy or dream like quality in this that you only found in Disney classics of yester years but its captured so well here, a modern 'Bedknobs n Broomsticks' if you will. All the cast are likeable and the jungle aspect really works well, you never see it, just hinted at which is just right, teasing you but not going overboard.

The backstory and ending of the film are really well done too, could of gone on with more 'plays' from the game as there has obviously been previous adventures, but its open ended and adds mystery to the whole idea.

Quite a modern kids classic really with solid work from the crazy and youthful Williams who adds nice emotion to some scenes, he is a good kids film actor.
Directors Cat
½ November 1, 2011
Jumanji suffers badly because of its script. But it's got heart, and thats what keeps it on it's feet. Well, for a short while anyway. It's vastly over rated.
cosmo313
April 16, 2007
The is the story of a bunch of people caught up in a wild and frenetic game of life or death after they start messing around with a board game that literally brings a fantastic jungle world to life, with nothing but chaos and mayhem ensuing.

Oh sure, there are attempts at trying to throw in serious issues like family and that sort of thing, but let's be honest, this film is primarily a showcase for the special effects and the spectacle of seeing wild beasts run amok all over a New England town. The cast has notables like Robin Williams, Bonnie Hunt, Kirsten Dunst, and Jonathan Hyde in it, and, while they give it their best, they don't quite succeed in holding it all together. To his credit though, Hyde is probably the most fun to watch.

This isn't a terrible movie, but even as a kid, I never thought of it as being better than "okay". The film cares more about the effects and action than anything else, and that would be okay if they didn't also try to throw in other stuff. Basically, this is just unbalanced, unfocused, predictable, and kinda silly. If you want to see it, I won't stop you, but don't feel like you need to see it.
½ October 29, 2011
The strange thing is that amongst the films that were made when this was released, this actually felt like a professional had made it.
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
I was scared of this film as a kid, seriously this film is pretty messed up if you think about it, but its sometimes a fun fantasy film and I enjoy watching it sometimes.
skactopus
March 15, 2007
Joe Johnston puts the game in board game, as Jumanji unleashes the jungle fun.While taking a little while to get the game rolling on a consistent basis, Jumanji's story concept is one that easily amuses and it takes full advantage of that. Every roll of the dice warrants attention just to see what the game has in store for it's characters, whom are likable and funny.There is a mixture of CG and animatronics. For the most part, the latter is acceptable. The CG, while playing an integral role in the film, isn't that great; however, given the nature of the film, this isn't much of a disappointment.Robin Williams has a splendid character to work with. Thanks to some witty dialogue, he gets to be playful and comical without going overboard and becoming annoying. Kirsten Dunst and Bradley Pierce are quite adorable, while David Alan Grier has a few notable hilarious facial expressions. Jonathan Hyde proves to be the most talented of the bunch as he portrays two characters.Overall, Jumanji is a better than average 100 minute film. "Don't be fooled it isn't thunder, staying put would be a blunder."
½ September 6, 2010
I thought this movie was pretty cool when I was younger and didn't find Robin Williams as annoying as I do now, I even had the board game. Overall, kids will enjoy this movie more than grown ups. It's a silly, but exciting adventure fantasy movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 5, 2011
Jumanji is one of those childhood favorites thats still relevant as an adult as it was when you were a kid. First where to start, the film is visually stunning with jaw dropping special effects. Joe Johnston' directing is brilliant, and he's able to turn out something really good, entertaining, fun and humourous on screen. Sure the films story line is not all that developed, but it's still an interesting plot. The film is well acted by a good cast of actors including Robin Williams, Bonnie Hunt, a very young Kirsten Dunst and Jonathan Hyde. Jumanji is a must see for the whole family because it makes you rediscover that child inside, at least thats how I feel when I watch this film. The film is still very entertaining today as it was when first released. Robin Williams is terrific and so is the rest of the cast. Jumanji is the perfect family film, no matter how old you are, this film can appeal to different ages. I still view this film as one of my favorite childhood films. Some films from my childhood have lost their spark, and seem dated and plainly irritating and stupid; but thats not the case with Jumanji. Jumanji is a fun filled adventure thats very funny, well directed and well acted. It's rare that a film from ones childhood can still be good even when you're an dult, but Jumanji is one of the few films that is still great and you can watch it with your kids and still enjoy it yourself. A well made film with plenty of laughs, and one that brings back great memories.
michael e.
January 31, 2011
DISTURBING, the movie that still disturbs me to this day is the sound of "boom boom boom boom" noise that comes from the box
½ January 25, 2011
Definitely a bold move to turn a 10 page story into a feature length movie, but this actually pulls it off for the most part. Sure it has its corny moments, but they are over weighed with a really cool premise and zany Robin Williams. While a lot of the effects are probably out-dated now, for the time they were definitely top of the line. For a kid's movie, it's incredibly more mature than you'd expect. Having a child get sucked into a board game is pretty demented.
theunknownhobo
½ November 17, 2010
One of my favorite classics and always reminds me of when I was a kid. It is movies like Jumanji that subconsciously built up a tolerance for the creepy and intimidating in my mind. A lot of people do not understand my view point on Jumanji but for a child who used to go to sleep with Freddy Kruger in the background on her tv, I found Jumanji's subtext refreshingly menancing. It is not wholesome family fun but then again it does not fit into any other category so reluctantly there it stays. However movies have changed a lot since I was a kid and films like "Bridge to Terabitha" and "The Dark Crystal" genuinely making me think twice about letting my own children watch them, Jumanji may as well be Finding Nemo to the kids of today.
erika250
May 27, 2010
too hard for me to undrstand.
½ June 24, 2010
it's okay. C
Chiefilms
June 23, 2010
Jumanji messed with my head in the 90's, rollin' that dice messin' wif yo life, oh shitaki. Monkeys goin' wild in the kitchen, that scared me. This movie was freaky in it's day, like The Mummy. Now I watch it, Burtonesque but somethin' is a little off, it's those monkeys.
Kyle F.
February 17, 2010
There are a few sincerely goofy moments, but the fast pace, elaborate writing, and beautiful atmosphere (similar to that of I SPY TREASURE HUNT, or I SPY SPOOKY NIGHT) Jumanji is a winner. There's some very understandable emotion, some great ideas, and plenty of fun to be had.
3niR
½ January 23, 2010
Funny and exciting. Recommend it to watch.
½ January 13, 2010
Not the greatest film, but does enough to keep you involved throughout the whole movie!