She - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She Reviews

½ April 26, 2010
She is a Hammer flick high on style and weak on story. It might pass for a precursor to one of the latter-day Mummy movies or a really woeful Indiana Jones movie. She is a decent adventure movie where an in-her-prime Ursula Andress plays an immortal queen out to find the reincarnation of her lost love. For as foxy as Andress is in this movie, her charms kind of wear off once she starts spouting her dialogue (not that I'm expecting David Mamet, mind you) but Peter Cushing (who kills in the bellydancing scene at the beginning) and Christopher Lee never disappoint. The last act falls apart but I liked the lack of an upbeat ending.
garyX
November 9, 2007
The stunning Ursula Andress plays an immortal queen waiting century after century for the reincarnation of her love who bears a striking resemblance to John Richardson, who promptly falls under her spell. He and companions, archeologist Peter Cushing and likeable working class valet Bernard Cribbins, travel to her lavishly realised forgotten kingdom where he becomes torn between the coldly beautiful yet cruel "She who must be obeyed" and a warm and compassionate slave girl. All the best scenes are of course between Hammer stalwarts Cushing and Christopher Lee, but Andress is strangely convincing as the irresistible yet heartless Ayesha. The story constantly surprises, and despite the rather wooden performance by Richardson, always entertains. A solid old-school adventure yarn, which combined with some great production design, unusually (for Hammer!) well executed effects and location camera work makes this one of Hammer studio's finest moments.
July 13, 2011
I kept thinking it was like a campy prequel to Raiders of the Lost Arc.The acting a bit underwhelming,but the production was magestic,and Ursula Andress an extraordinary Besuty
½ December 1, 2012
Her wisdom is limitless. Her anger is boundless.

An archeologist in Egypt is presented with a piece of gold by a beautiful native girl. Shortly after seeing the girl he begins having visions of a beautiful woman in the middle of the desert. The woman resides in a lost city with more of the riches handed to him by the native girl. The archeologist convinces two companions to follow him into the desert to find the girl and city. Along the way he falls in love with a gorgeous native girl. Will he ever find the city, and if he finds the city, how will the queen of the city take to the archeologist's new love?

"I wonder what it is that keeps him going?"
"Whatever it is I wish I had some."

Robert Day, director of Peter and Paul, Two Way Stretch, The Green Man, Beyond Witch Mountain, Black Market Baby, and The Haunted Strangler, delivers She. The storyline for this picture is okay but nothing special. The women are beautiful and Christopher Lee plays a pretty good villain but Peter Cushing is a bit underutilized and the main character is just okay. I will say Ursula Andress and Rosenda Monteros looked hot.

"Just the type of chance we've all been looking for..."

This is another Peter Cushing picture I DVR'd this past Halloween season off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee marathon (those guys are awesome). I was a little disappointed with this picture overall. It was okay conceptually but a little stale at times and the main character was boring and didn't have much charm. Overall, I'd probably skip this film.

"My priests die as easily as mortals."

Grade: C
July 3, 2015
A middling production from Hammer, that whilst it has all the potential to be an epic adventure. Sadly it never really engages with its audience, today its a little slow and could have been so much more than what is presented. Sadly it wastes its topnotch cast, Andress, Cushing, Cribbins and Lee.
½ June 26, 2015
A welcome change for this Tarzan director, Ursula Andress is perfect for this character study in antiquity, and her only interesting starring role. With great acting support from John Richardson (Leo) and Rosenda Monteros (Ustane), the heavy handed British cohorts can be overlooked. Great filming from 1965. I recently acquired this film and its a repeater.
June 24, 2015
All filler, no thriller.
½ February 6, 2015
From Hammer Films, directed by Robert Day (The Green Man (1956), Corridors of Blood (1958) and Life in Emergency Ward 10 (1959)), this adaptation of H. Rider Haggard's novel She: A History of Adventure from 1887 had been a very popular book since it's release nearly 80 years before, and it had been filmed before in 1935. But Hammer gave their take a few lavish luxuries. They had more money this time around. Set in Palestine in 1918, Professor Holly (Peter Cushing), Leo Vincey (John Richardson) and Job (Bernard Cribbins) embark on an expedition, after Professor Holly finds a map that claims to have the whereabouts of the lost city of Kuma in North East Africa. The city is ruled by the mysterious yet powerful Ayesha (Ursula Andress), who is known as "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed", who has ruled this secret land for nearly 2000 years, with the aid of her fanatical priest Bilali (Christopher Lee), who craves for immortality. But, Ayesha convinces Leo to walk into a bonfire that emits blue flames to become immortal, but this has bad consequences for Ayesha. It cost three times as much as the average Hammer film, and it was filmed on location in the Negev Desert in Israel. It's a different kind of Hammer film, and it could have been done as a horror in different hands, but this was marketed to the widest audience possible. It's good, but it doesn't quite know what it wants to be.
July 13, 2011
November 23, 2013
(52%)
A minor 60's classic from Hammer with an intriguing plot running through a fun middle-eastern adventure. They clearly spent more money on this than they did on other Hammer films, with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee both appearing together (always a good sign that its going to be one of the better Hammer offerings) as well as the stunning Ursula Andress appearing at the hight of her fame, that along with some actual overseas location shooting, quite lavish sets and a large cast of extras resulting in a must watch for Hammer/adventure/classic British film fans.
½ January 16, 2014
Ursula Andress är, förstås, perfekt i rollen som den odödliga, amazonliknande härskarkvinnan Ayesha, men i övrig bjuder denna filmatisering av den gamla boken på många långa och sega transportsträckor. Kort sagt kan man säga att filmen är bra när Andress syns i bild, och mindre bra under den övriga tiden. Logiskt betyg: 2.5!
½ December 29, 2013
This lavish Hammer Films production proves to be a dull remake.
November 19, 2013
Silly, though entertaining, Hammer Production of the oft filmed H. Rider Haggard story. Ursula Andress is the ancient queen, luring soldiers across the desert, including Major Peter Cushing. Christopher Lee plays one of Andress' minion. It's a very silly story, but the production design is good, Cushing and Lee are always entertaining, and Andress is, of course, gorgeous, even without her diving knife.
½ December 1, 2012
Her wisdom is limitless. Her anger is boundless.

"I wonder what it is that keeps him going?"
"Whatever it is I wish I had some."

"Just the type of chance we've all been looking for..."

"My priests die as easily as mortals."

Grade: C
October 2, 2012
This begins really interestingly and although it suffers from a sluggish second half it does pick itself up for an exciting finale.
½ August 31, 2012
Adapted From H. Rider Higgard's 1887 Novel Of The Same Name. This 1965 Adaptation Is The Company's Most Lavish & Expensive Film To Date. The Glossy Outcome Gave Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee One Of Their Best Scenes Together. The Stunning Ursula Andress Stars Ayessa (She Who Must Be Obeyed), A Queen Thousands Of Years Old, Who Is Trying To Reunite With Her Lover Who Died Years Earlier. Now It Seems He Is Reborn Or Is He...
Despite Being A Box-Office Hit, Andress Didnt Return For The Sequel.
½ May 13, 2012
About 50 percent campy fun -- with another 50 percent of adventure.
½ May 6, 2012
Entertainin adventure yarn from Hammer studios!!
February 9, 2012
Decent Hammer production with the insanely beautiful Ursula Andress.