She Reviews

½ April 26, 2010
She is a Hammer flick high on style and weak on story. It might pass for a precursor to one of the latter-day Mummy movies or a really woeful Indiana Jones movie. She is a decent adventure movie where an in-her-prime Ursula Andress plays an immortal queen out to find the reincarnation of her lost love. For as foxy as Andress is in this movie, her charms kind of wear off once she starts spouting her dialogue (not that I'm expecting David Mamet, mind you) but Peter Cushing (who kills in the bellydancing scene at the beginning) and Christopher Lee never disappoint. The last act falls apart but I liked the lack of an upbeat ending.
garyX
November 9, 2007
The stunning Ursula Andress plays an immortal queen waiting century after century for the reincarnation of her love who bears a striking resemblance to John Richardson, who promptly falls under her spell. He and companions, archeologist Peter Cushing and likeable working class valet Bernard Cribbins, travel to her lavishly realised forgotten kingdom where he becomes torn between the coldly beautiful yet cruel "She who must be obeyed" and a warm and compassionate slave girl. All the best scenes are of course between Hammer stalwarts Cushing and Christopher Lee, but Andress is strangely convincing as the irresistible yet heartless Ayesha. The story constantly surprises, and despite the rather wooden performance by Richardson, always entertains. A solid old-school adventure yarn, which combined with some great production design, unusually (for Hammer!) well executed effects and location camera work makes this one of Hammer studio's finest moments.
½ June 26, 2015
A welcome change for this Tarzan director, Ursula Andress is perfect for this character study in antiquity, and her only interesting starring role. With great acting support from John Richardson (Leo) and Rosenda Monteros (Ustane), the heavy handed British cohorts can be overlooked. Great filming from 1965. I recently acquired this film and its a repeater.
June 24, 2015
All filler, no thriller.
November 23, 2013
(52%)
A minor 60's classic from Hammer with an intriguing plot running through a fun middle-eastern adventure. They clearly spent more money on this than they did on other Hammer films, with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee both appearing together (always a good sign that its going to be one of the better Hammer offerings) as well as the stunning Ursula Andress appearing at the hight of her fame, that along with some actual overseas location shooting, quite lavish sets and a large cast of extras resulting in a must watch for Hammer/adventure/classic British film fans.
½ December 1, 2012
Her wisdom is limitless. Her anger is boundless.

An archeologist in Egypt is presented with a piece of gold by a beautiful native girl. Shortly after seeing the girl he begins having visions of a beautiful woman in the middle of the desert. The woman resides in a lost city with more of the riches handed to him by the native girl. The archeologist convinces two companions to follow him into the desert to find the girl and city. Along the way he falls in love with a gorgeous native girl. Will he ever find the city, and if he finds the city, how will the queen of the city take to the archeologist's new love?

"I wonder what it is that keeps him going?"
"Whatever it is I wish I had some."

Robert Day, director of Peter and Paul, Two Way Stretch, The Green Man, Beyond Witch Mountain, Black Market Baby, and The Haunted Strangler, delivers She. The storyline for this picture is okay but nothing special. The women are beautiful and Christopher Lee plays a pretty good villain but Peter Cushing is a bit underutilized and the main character is just okay. I will say Ursula Andress and Rosenda Monteros looked hot.

"Just the type of chance we've all been looking for..."

This is another Peter Cushing picture I DVR'd this past Halloween season off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) during a Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee marathon (those guys are awesome). I was a little disappointed with this picture overall. It was okay conceptually but a little stale at times and the main character was boring and didn't have much charm. Overall, I'd probably skip this film.

"My priests die as easily as mortals."

Grade: C
May 22, 2011
My first Hammer Horror experience and it won't be the last as I'm now rather intrigued by them. It obviously doesn't size-up to films from today but it held my interest thanks to some interesting characters and a good storyline revolving around Ayesha, or known as She, a woman keen on finding her lost lover. It reminded me of 'The Mummy' in a way and while acting and special effects might look a little dodgy now I would think they were good for the 60's, so for what it's worth I'm impressed.
July 29, 2009
John Richardson, Bernard Cribbins and the Cush bump into She (Ursula Andress) who wants to put Richardson in a blue flame.
½ June 17, 2010
(**): Thumbs Down

Fun at times but it is more cheesy than anything.