Stand (MINI-SERIES) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stand (MINI-SERIES) Reviews

June 4, 2011
A strong Stephen King adaptation - a gem among the others. Solid performances and an overall interesting atmosphere that it creates makes it very worthy of being watched, especially for the fans of the novel.
April 5, 2011
I just spent more than six hours watching what my stupid friends have been trying to get me to watch for years. Well, they can't be wrong all the time.
July 11, 2010
Stephen King's masterpiece brought to the small screen.

Too short by far to do the novel justice...and a bit awkward in places but such a fun (if disturbing) ride despite these faults.
½ May 7, 2010
Even though I hate positive goals in movies, The Stand was amazing and Randal Flagg is the best devil I've seen in a long time.
March 2, 2010
Stephen King's movie, "The Stand" written in 1994 is one of best movies I have ever seen and still enjoy seeing today. Although the movie is six-hours long, Stephen King's unbelievable story line is able to keep you squirming in your seat the whole time. Three things that make this movie truly one of a kind are the story line, casting, and music. All three of these things set the mood for which you will understand after watching.
The story line basically starts out with a government lab facility fenced off to the rest of the world holding the world's most dangerous viruses. Obviously one of these deadly virus accidently lets gets loose and a guard and his wife and child escape across the country before crashing into a Texas gas station. This is where it all begins and all hell breaks out from beginning. The small town in isolated, including the Stu Redman, main character in the movie who witnessed the crash at the gas station. As the military tries to cover up the accident the virus spreads and kills nearly the whole world in a matter of days. Soon 95% of the world population dies and only a select few people are immune to the disease. These individuals soon travel the world looking for other survivors and realize that they are the chosen ones. Two groups are created and you soon begin to realize that the movie is about good and evil. The good being a Christian group who is led by Mother Abigail Freemantle, who is 106 years old in the movie. The bad being led by a weird "Satan" like figure named Randall Flagg. As the movie comes closer to the end you begin to realize that these two groups are going to confront one another.
The casting contained great actors that seemed born to play the roles in this movie. A good group portrayed in the film was a rock star, a mute, a professor, a farmer, a socialite, a mildly retarded man, a teenager, a mother, and a judge. The bad group portrayed in the film was a Satan, criminals, outlaws, and crazy people. Gary Sininse, was one of these main characters who delivered one of his best performances of all time. In fact he was nominated for, "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor" in 1995. Other actors like academy award winning actor, Ed Harris and 1988 best actress, Molly Ringwald, and 4 golden globes winner, Rob Lowe. All of these actors did an unbelievable job when it came to making the viewer intense, sad, happy, creepy, and scary while watching the movie.
The last thing that made this movie truly great was the music. At the beginning a crow is sitting on a fence looking toward the government lab facility and playing in the back ground is Blue Oysters Cults, "Don't Fear the Reaper," is probably one of the most chilling events every recorded on tape. This truly makes you nervous as you watch the scene unfold into total ciaos.
"The Stand", is truly one of the greatest movies ever written. Stephen King's movie allows viewers alike to grow with the movie and begin to love and hate the people in the movie. Every major scene is there and touched on to give the viewer a sense of realness and pleasure. If you have not seen it, I suggest that you take a day the off, go rent or buy the movie, and watch all six hours of it.
½ April 1, 2009
A great film/ mini series. All the actors fit into theyre roles extremely well. Flagg was one of the best adaptations of A Stephen King villain I have ever seen. Manages to easily keep up with the long and twisting narrative of the novel.
January 7, 2007
The first time my older sister saw this, she had a kidney infection. The first time I read the book, I had heat prostration. Every time since that I've read the book, I've gotten sick--or started out sick. Power of suggestion only goes so far, I think.

And today, as I'm lying in bed trying to bring up the phlegm that sits and tickles the back of my throat for hours on end, the Sci-Fi Channel presents Stephen King's [i]The Stand[/i].

Sigh.

At any rate, this was the only possible solution to bringing this work to the screen. This book, considered by many to be King's masterpiece, in manuscript form weighed the same amount as Stephen King's favored bowling ball, he says. It works out to roughly 1000 pages, give or take a hundred. What's more, every subplot ties into the whole, so there are no characters that can be left out easily. (And [i]man[/i], there are a lot of characters!) The Kid, yes, and The Kid is left out of the book's initial release. But The Kid is only perhaps thirty pages; no big deal in the main scheme of things. You have to lose hundreds of pages to make a shooting script for theatrical release.

So. Mini-series. We are given eight hours. Time enough to really explore Stu and Franny and Nick, Larry and Nadine and Lloyd. The saved and the damned all together, as God and Stephen King intended.

IMDB lists three men offered the role of Flagg who turned it down--Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, and Christopher Walken. Leaving aside the obvious "One of these things is not like the others" factor, I'm not sure having anyone so well-known would have been good for the character. Flagg is supposed to be mysterious, and thinking, "He was great in [i]Mississippi Burning[/i]," for example, would hardly help that. I'm not sure I like the guy they did end up casting, but it helps that I don't really know him from anywhere else.

It's different for the others--I actively wish they'd gotten a relatively well-known singer to play Larry, for example. They're supposed to be sort of familiar. They're people you just kind of know from around, or at least, they ought to be. They're ordinary people. You know the educated, slightly dreamy Fran, and so she's Molly Ringwald. You know the earthy, practical Stu, and he's Gary Sinise.

At least that's how I see it. There's also, I suppose, the obvious "They got who they could" aspect to things as well. And good ol' King himself as Teddy Weizak. Because, with that many characters, there's one for everyone. I only wonder that Tabby isn't in there somewhere.
March 15, 2006
this movie scared me sh*tless! enough said,and I bow down to it's creators-well done!:fresh: :up: :up:
½ December 3, 2004
it's Stephen King, so i hate to not like it, but the movie leaves a lot to be desired.
To start with I must say that the book the Stand is my favorite book ever next to the Dark Tower books.
Good things:
- the plot of the movie and most of the nuances of the plot are excellently close to the book
- little "stephen king-y" things like the judgement guy in the beginning, the writing on the walls, the rock songs (like the lyrics he uses in his books)

However... bad things:
- the casting is so-so over all (Gary Sinise, Adam Storke, Ossie Davis, Miguel Ferrer, and Bill Fagerbakke are great)
- but Molly Ringwald especially (and some others) are baaad) their acting is forced, annoying, and laughable in some instances. This is not, as I have read some places, a byproduct of the book - the book is beyond criticism - there's nothing wrong with it or King's characters in it.
- Also, effects are bad (i'll let that go, as this is on a tv budget).
- I really wish we wouldn't see Flagg's monster forms... it kills the Stephen King mystery effect from all the other books Flagg makes appearances in. - A lot of the character development is lost (ie. Lucy, Trashcan Man) because of time

and all in all, i just didn't get the same effect i got from reading the book (which i can still remember perfectly after 3 readings and 6 years)
READ THE BOOK!!!
August 8, 2010
While it peaked during the first episode, this one is worth watching if you get the chance.
October 6, 2011
Very compelling for a horror film that is rare these days.
June 4, 2011
April 5, 2011
½ September 12, 2010
Det här lär jag väl få skit för men....vore det inte på tiden för en re-make av den här? Nya fräscha effekter, korta ner den lite grann.
Den här mini-serien är ju jävligt bra men dom kunde kortat den tvår timmar eller nått.Kul att Parker Lewis är med.
August 24, 2010
I own it on DVD and have seen it many times but I love it every single time!
August 19, 2010
Probably one of the greatest horror series of all time turned into my favourite King adaptation for the screen - everythng is perfect