Flipper Reviews

May 14, 2015
If you've come to read a full review of 1996's Flipper, read on. If you want a quick overview, the film is basically 97 minutes of Elijah Wood, Paul Hogan, and a dolphin.
Flipper is one of those film's that were completely capable of doing something right. This movie could have been an instant hit with Alan Shapiro's clever directing style, but nope, the story was terrible. You're probably thinking, what's the problem? A boy befriends a dolphin with his uncle, Crocodile Dundee. Doesn't sound half bad, right? The overall plot is just fine. The actions and events in this movie are often dumb and unnecessary.
First of all, Sandy (Wood) is dropped off at his Uncle Porter's (Hogan), which is located in at a beautiful, tropical beach that is absolute paradise. Sandy tries to escape from the area probably twice in the movie because he'd much rather be at a Red Hot Chili Peppers' concert. This tells me right off the bat that this is gonna be a bad 90s flick.
Unlike the 1963 film, Sandy is very lazy. He spends his time playing on his GameBoy, reading Playboy, and wishing he was at a concert that he is capable of seeing sometime else. I wish it wasn't this way, because now that I have been introduced to a teen who's lazy, and not to mention, an a$$hole, how can I expect him to be trusted with an injured dolphin?
Luckily, things go smoothly, with some pretty memorable scenes with Sandy and the dolphin he found. The dolphin is then named Flipper by Sandy. It turns out that the dolphin was injured by Dirk Moran (Jonathan Banks), who is known as the local ''Bounty Hunter'' when it comes to innocent wildlife. Banks pulled the performance off. Sadly, we have to deal with random characters, such as Kathy (Chelsea Field) and her son, Marvin (Jason Fuchs). While they have a reason to be in the film, and make an impact, they add an element to the film that makes it flat out complicated.
The point is, this film, which is an attempt to make a modern Flipper, with GameBoys, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, boating technology, and a boring 1996 teen, just doesn't work. I invite you to watch the 1963 Flipper and it's TV series for dolphin entertainment.
April 28, 2015
Can't we give back Hogan to the Aussies yet,isn't two Croc Dundee movies enough punishment.
February 6, 2015
Written and directed by Alan Shapiro (The Christmas Star (1986) and The Crush (1993)), this is a remake of James B. Clark's 1963 film of the same name which spawned a sequel and a television series in it's wake. This was made as an attempt to rival the success of the Free Willy films going on at the time, and while there was a lot of hype, nothing came of it. Which is a shame, as it's an old fashioned family adventure. Teenager Sandy Ricks (Elijah Wood) is sent off for the summer to stay with his uncle Porter (Paul Hogan) who runs a fishing trawler on the seaside island town of Coral Key, just off the Florida Keys. Sandy is upset at having to spend the summer there, especially as he'll be missing a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. But, things change when after witnessing Porter's rival and enemy Dirk Moran (Christopher Banks) shooting at a pod of dolphins, and one of the dolphins gets separated from the pod in the chaos. This dolphin follows Sandy and Porter back to the mainland, and Sandy soon becomes friends with the dolphin, who he names Flipper. It's a sentimental family film, but it's the sort you don't really get anymore, as they'd get accused of being mawkish and sugary. But, this manages to be compelling enough for an hour and a half, and there's some beautiful cinematography in the film, both above and below the water.
½ September 10, 2014
A favourite from my childhood; from Paul Hogan blowtorching his toast to Flipper ripping off kids, the film does well to switch from comedy to a serious tone throughout its runtime.
July 21, 2014
Aided by terrific casting, "Flipper" is a surpringly well made children's film that is faithful to the TV show that inspired it.
March 13, 2014
Cute movie with a young Elijah Wood.
August 16, 2013
A harmless family film with Paul Hogan in good form.
½ March 16, 2013
Wonderful story, my family loved that and I had to watch it more... :)
The sea was beautiful and we already bought the tickets to Florida.
February 21, 2013
A boy makes friends with a dolphin. The Flipper name comes with a legacy of well documented animal cruelty for the sake of entertainment, so it was a little tasteless to dust it off the shelf to begin with. It doesn't help at all that this film is dull and lacking in creativity.
March 7, 2012
There's enough genuine heart in the movie to prevent it from being anywhere near bad.
July 25, 2012
May need a rewatch to see if it still holds up
January 2, 2013
While sporting a nice cast, Flipper falls short of anything but a cliche.
½ December 7, 2012
Im gonna be sick again........ like free willy highly radioactively boring...........
November 9, 2012
like it i got 3 different flipper
½ October 19, 2012
Not what I thought it would be, but it wasn't to bad either. E.W wasn't at his best, in my opinion.
½ September 11, 2012
I watched it aloooong time ago and it bored the hell out of me
½ August 8, 2012
I orginally saw this movie in theatres. thats when Allijah Woods was still a teen heart throb, now he's a hobbit in lord of the rings. flipper is based on a tv series and made into a movie but with more well known actors. its ok. predictable and if you love sea life or when animals befriend humans this is your movie. the back ground is very seren and i must admit their are some good parts of the movie that make you laugh.
½ July 25, 2012
I like this movie! Dolphins are so gorgeous and my favorite sea animal!
½ July 3, 2012
Generic family film can be defined by putting Flipper in. Nothing new or original, and unless you're very young, it will not be overly enjoyable.