Fear

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fear Reviews

Nicki M

January 20, 2008
Good thriller, and the movie that introduced me to Reese Witherspoon. Still enjoy it many years later. How did I only just notice David has a Chucky doll in his room!
Apeneck F

August 19, 2011
The decent right-side-of-the-tracks family unit is threatened by local not-so-right-side thug types in this thriller that borrows extensively from Peckinpah's "Straw Dogs" (1971). Wahlberg and Peterson do well as the tension mounts for the big winner-takes-all showdown but the final payoff's a trifle abrupt.
vieras e

July 22, 2011
The first hour is nothing to get worked up about, which is why I can't give this a particularly high rating. But do not despair - the ending is sure worth the wait!

Reese Witherspoon's character Nicole can sometimes be downright painfully gullible and na´ve when it comes to all the crap David is shoving down her throat, but hey, let's be honest here: some teen girls really are.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 11, 2011
Laura: What's the big deal?
Steve: The big deal, Laura, is that the guy gives me the creeps, and the girl is my daughter.

The only way to describe Fear is it's a not so thrilling thriller. It's unoriginal and really offers nothing but what you'd expect. Nicole(Reese Witherspoon) starts dating a seemingly nice guy, David(Mark Wahlberg). Soon her family and eventually her comet to see that he isn't the nice guy he appears to be.

Both Witherspoon's and Wahlberg's acting are suspect. This is an early role for both. I normally like Wahlberg, but he just wasn't at all convincing in his psycho role. I can take or leave Witherspoon. Some times she really impresses me and other times she doesn't. This is one of those where she doesn't.

Overall I guess it's entertaining enough to hold your attention for awhile, but don't expect anything above average here.

David: Hey Mr. Walka!
Dan S

October 20, 2007
A disappointing melodrama concerning a confused 16-year old (Reese Witherspoon) who falls in love with a mysterious young man (Mark Wahlberg), who appears to be charming at first, but is actually nothing more than a creepy psycho-stalker. I have no idea how this movie served as the initial launching pads to two otherwise outstanding actors' careers. The acting, except for William Peterson as Witherspoon's father, is downright terrible, and the climax is ridden with action-movie cliches that don't offer any suspense whatsoever. There is a unique, memorable love-scene that takes place between Witherspoon and Wahlberg (on a roller-coaster), but other than that, I hope I forget about this film, and quickly.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 8, 2009
CAST: Mark Wahlberg, Reese Witherspoon, William L. Petersen, Amy Brenneman, Alyssa Milano

DIRECTED BY: James Foley

SUMMARY: What begins as an innocent romance turns to deadly obsession when a charismatic young man sets his sights on Nicole Walker, a 16-year-old girl who always dreamed of being swept away by someone special --someone who was strong and sensitive and cared for her more than anything else in the world. At first Nicole is mesmerized by David, a polite, respectful--yet sexy--charmer she meets at a rave party, having slipped out for a wild night with her thrill-seeking best friend Margo. But then Nicole catches a glimpse of David's dark side, and her dream becomes a nightmare. When she tries to break free, her family is forced to draw together in order to confront David's determined, vicious attempts to take her back.

MY THOUGHTS: Such a great movie. Probably my favorite Mark Wahlberg movie. It's the only film I have really seen him be his strongest in a film. He really scares me in this. I guess its how he easily pulled off the "Jekyll and Hide" persona. The movie is very creepy, unnerving, it is scary, violent, gory and just really disturbing. All good factors for a good suspense movie. Reese and Mark had really good chemistry. Their relationship was believable and you really need that to make a good movie. Watch this if you haven't yet. Probably one of the better movies of the 90's.
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
I fear nothing apart from maybe a sequel to this rubbish film!
Jason O

September 8, 2009
"Fear" is a horror movie that can seem sort of like a true story of what some people would do these days. Nicole (Reese Witherspoon) starts going out with David (Mark Wahlberg) after they meet at a pool hall and a dance. All seems to be going great until David shows that he's super jealous. Nicole wants to end her relationship with David, but David just won't give up on getting her back and soon he's stalking Nicole and her family.
For the most part, "Fear" is a pretty good movie. It's a little slow getting started, but once the stalking and fighting begins, the movie is suspenseful and it's a lot better from that point on. By no means is it a "Scream" ripoff like some people might think it is. As a matter of fact, after I saw the whole movie it seemed to me like it could've been based on a true story because some people get jealous or angry enough to do things like David and the rest of the bad guys did in the movie.

If you like good horror movies, I'd recommend at least seeing "Fear." It has good acting by everybody and it's exciting in parts. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Don't remember this movie much at all now, which isn't a good sign.
Dean !

January 5, 2007
A very good thriller, I was very surprised I've not heard this mentioned before as it stars a young Reese Witherspoon and Mark Wahlberg. A little slow to start and predictable but a very good tense ending with some memorable scenes! Very enjoyable check it out if you missed it to.
Red L

August 5, 2008
Scary movie. Seen a few like this. Out of control kids want to make havoc on good guy's home. I didn't like the role portrayed by Nicole's father. He seems to be as childish as David, Nicole's beau.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

August 4, 2008
It's a movie with a confusing story I think... The beginning of the story didn't impress me, I'm just confused with where the story will be going... Yet, I'm just knowing that it is a story about a crazy young man with his terror in his girlfriend family... Mark Wahlberg didn't great for playing such a psycho like this, his face just too nice for me... Reese Witherspoon herself still lovely in her young age... I'm not impressed a lot with this movie, especially the title, it just didn't fit for the whole movie... Even that, I do sense a little fear here, it just a little thrilling anyway...
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 3, 2007
excellent
its exciting keeps you on the edge of you seats and wiliam petersen and mark whalburg are pretty damn gawjus in itbrilliantly acted out by all actors and actresses
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
creepy but good thriller
deano
deano

February 8, 2007
Mark Wahlberg's performance is awesome as a boyfriend from hell in this thriller movie.
Jason S

July 11, 2007
Again with the whole not too original but the cast was cool. When Marky Mark snaps a dudes neck you know your in for a decent flick.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
A girl (Reese Witherspoon) is terrorized by her psycho boyfriend (Mark Wahlberg), for a creepy time. The end sequence where he is trying to get into their isolated home, is suspenseful and scary. It's not a fun ride, and doesn't let up. (Maybe that's why they called this film "Fear"?)
Drew S

March 24, 2007
Okay, the acting is lousy (even from big-name performers like Witherspoon and Wahlberg), and the script is moronic, and the entire thing builds up to the 10-minute climax, AND I fell asleep for a 20 minute stretch about an hour in, but it's still a decently entertaining thriller for all it's worth. It's derivative and stupid, though good for a few laughs.
James A

March 13, 2006
Fo Eva he says.
Jacob P

June 9, 2011
Not that scary or suspensful...Mark Whalberg doesn't really fit for this role either.
Christopher H

May 10, 2011
In his first major role, Mark Wahlberg proves why he is still around, and with Witherspoon in her youthful prime, the two create amazing chemistry, which makes the sometimes absurd plot more bearable.