62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Arrival Reviews

FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

November 24, 2007
I remember very little about this film to give it a higher rating than this. I'll have to revisit it one day.
Red L

May 7, 2009
Not a bad movie. Typical science fiction - aliens are on earth, and only one guy (Charlie Sheen) does something about it - even though he gets fired, loses his girl friend, has friends die mysteriously, gets framed for murder, etc.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
Not a bad alien film.
Ross C

February 2, 2007
Charlie Sheen playing a radio astronomer who discovers an alien base on Earth... need I say more? Fantastic. ;-)
Todd S

May 5, 2007
This is one of those direct-to-video gems that every b-movie fan hopes to find. There was virtually no advertising or information about this film when it first came out. It just showed up on the shelves at blockbuster and people had to take a chance on it. I'm glad I did, because it is one of the best original science fiction films of the 90s. Charlie Sheen was terrific as the nerdy scientist Zane. Zane works for NASA and when he brings some strange readings to his bosses they ignore it and fire him. Unwilling to let it go, Zane travels to Mexico to uncover the truth, and you won't believe what he finds. It's a strong cast and a great story that is full of surprises. If you enjoy sci-fi, than this should be on the must see list!
Alec B

May 2, 2012
The story is mostly unrealized potential (its clear that David Twohy was hoping to start a series that would go to more places, so most of whats here is setup without a payoff), but the elements that are explored are interesting. I like that its sort of an "anti-Independence Day" take on alien invasion, with an enemy that uses espionage and terraforming to make conquest easier.
Shrewlord
Shrewlord

January 6, 2011
A refreshingly different alien invasion movie in which the Aliens are really quite weird by human standards. That's nice as most sci-fi uses aliens as metaphors for various aspects of human behaviour rather than allowing for the possibility of them being just plain not-human - or "alien" in fact. Nice locations and performances abound in this underrated film.
jim222001us
jim222001us

August 30, 2007
Charlie Sheen stars as Zane, an astronomer that discovers alien life. But his boss (Ron Silver) is covering up his discovery.

The movie is well made, despite Sheen being a little over the top. The Arrival came out the same year as ID4 and wasn't as big of a hit of course. It was a lot more original though.

Just don't expect alien death rays or any big budget stuff. The aliens just use scorpions to kill people that uncover too much. David Twohy (Pitch Black) directing his first movie showed skill as well. The movie has some good visuals and is well shot despite a not so big budget.
iLeo
iLeo

December 28, 2007
Great movie!
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 25, 2007
A solid scifi offering. If you're a fan of scifi there's no reason not to see this well crafted story.
chadroesti
chadroesti

February 19, 2007
It was OK for a B sci-flick -
June 10, 2012
First off a full star is purely for nostalgia. Otherwise this movie really isn't that good but it has some cool sci-fi aspects and if it had the budget of contact it would have been what that movie should have been instead of the bad movie that contact was. If you can imagine terminal velocity, species, and contact as one thing its kind of this movie. Plus i'm pretty sure one of the aliens is william forsyth (the thin dick detective from deuce biggalo (rofl a thin dick dick HA)) But yea back in the day this was real good time for me.
May 19, 2012
Pretty regular body snatchers stuff, except without the snatching. Sheen spends most of the film running around trying to figure out what's going on. There is one twist at the end that I didn't expect, but other than that it was formulaic, but still good, even with the environmental warning crammed in there.
21rclemente
February 8, 2011
imo - Signs (one decade prior) in carnate. which is ironic because Sheen portrayed Gibson in the parody, Scary Movie III
Ken D

March 19, 2009
Even though this didn't have all the bells and whistles that ID4 had, this was still a pretty solid story. Charlie Sheen's facial expressions reminded me a lot of Vince McMahon. The CGI was so so and it showed when you would see the aliens legs bend backwards. That looked horrible on the humans. As far as the look of the aliens, they looked pretty good. A pretty solid story with a pretty good couple of twists to keep you guessing.
August 31, 2008
Everything you want to know about bad acting is perfectly provided for you by Charlie Sheen in this performance. And yes, it truly IS a "performance" - because no human has ever displayed these reactions in reality, so it is my personal belief that this man studied the hell out of some Saturday morning cartoons to prepare for the role...and babies, he mastered that creepy big-eyed w/ hard blink - slack jawed w/ a slight-head shake- shocked reaction & pretty much set it to default...that way we get to see it repeated throughout the film EVERY TIME anything happens! Bold move Sheen.

Though I must say this isn't so much a "film" as a bad Tales From the Darkside episode as far as production value, casting, writing and - - well everything actually. Viewing it is quite a chore, it's not even worth watching for laughs. (What a gyp!)

Trust me, just move along....The way I see it, I suffered my way through this so you don't have to.
July 24, 2007
Charlie Sheen, who has slipped into freefall since the heady days of "Platoon", is Zane Ziminski, a radio telescope operator who searches the airwaves for alien contact from outer space. When he encounters a radio signal he is sure is of alien origin, he submits it to his boss, Gordian (Silver), who then fires him. When his equipment is confiscated and his partner is found dead in suspicious circumstances, he becomes fully aware that a cover-up of sorts is in operation.

Bad haircut, bad goatee, bad glasses, bad lines. That is Charlie Sheen for the most part of this science fiction thriller. However, suddenly the heat is on when the aliens become aware that their plan is under threat and Ziminski loses the specs and becomes a bit of a (unlikely) hero.

For all its problems, "The Arrival" manages to create a small amount of tension as you start to wonder just who is with Ziminski and who is against him. The special effects are impressive yet subtle but they are not enough to warrant this movie a must see.
rabidwombat22
July 28, 2007
Even though it has as dumb global warming message in it, this is a great movie. Man the sequel was aweful.
numbah1angel
July 3, 2007
i enjoy this movie .. creative and interesting story line... does make u wonder... too bad they didnt stop with just the one tho
banedraven
January 17, 2007
A really good movie about aliens that have been here for a very long time. It's a great story, a little nutty but still good.