The Arrival Reviews

½ September 4, 2015
This film took me by surprise when I first watched this back in my video store clerk days. I was expecting an X-Files rip off with Charlie Sheen investigating aliens here on earth, but this film was written and directed by David Twohy, who would hit it big with his next film starring Vin Disel, "Pitch Black." Twohy has a previously been one of the writers on "The Fugitive" and had also written the underrated Charlie Sheen action film "Terminal Velocity," but this was the film that made me remember his name. Although this film was certainly cashing in on the alien conspiracy crazy started by The X-Files, it really did do it's own thing and does it in an exciting , clever and fast paced manner. Don't expect an action flick, but this is a solid bit of interesting and suspenseful science fiction.
½ April 27, 2015
Didn't expect much but got a really surprising inventive Sci-fi movie from Charlie Sheen....who da thunk it.
February 25, 2015
There's just something about this movie that I really like. David Twohy manages to take what seems like a low budget almost direct to video movie and turns it into something special. The CG is quite dated by todays standards but the story still works.
A true guilty pleasure imo
½ January 11, 2015
Silly little B movie with Charlie Sheen discovering alien signals.
January 8, 2015
Starts off alright, but quickly becomes disjointed and confusing. For a movie about a secret alien invasion, you never get the sense that there is one. Just a couple of people who infiltrated space-based agencies. That's it. There's not even the threat of some overt alien invasion or something. And the last like 30 minutes of this film are completely pointless. This is not a 2 hour film. It's 90 minutes at best, even considering it takes nearly an hour to get to the fucking aliens.
September 19, 2009
A decent sci-fi thriller movie from the mid 90's. Charlie Sheen plays an astronomer which discovers unknown signals and everything to points to intelligent alien life.. Not quite a movie im used to see Charlie in but he did a good role i guess. The movie it self tho is yet another average "low budget feeling" kinda but still good for an entertainment moment.
½ December 16, 2012
While the monumental and most expensive alien invasion picture of 1996 was declaring our independence, a small budget sci-fi thriller overachieves with an intriguing storyline and a well-written script. David Twohy, a screenwriter ("Waterworld," "The Fugitive") makes his feature debut as both a writer and director with "The Arrival." It's a lean piece of writing that moves quickly, and has some unexpected twists along the way. Those who crave conspiracy theories and cover ups, your time will not go to waste.

Radio astronomer Zane Ziminsky (Charlie Sheen) believes he's picked up a cosmic noise that signals extraterrestrial intelligence. But after turning over the tape to his boss, Zane loses his job, his girlfriend gets transferred, and his once partner is found dead. Zane's desperate search for answers leads him to a mysterious power plant in Mexico generating much more than just electricity, and run by people who are not what they appear to be.

The film's main strength arises from Twohy's writing, which manages to maintain decent dialogue, even when the plot mechanics take over. The movie never sinks into the realm of straight-to-video disaster. Sheen isn't ideally cast in the role of a scientist, but he is respectable and maintains a high level of intensity. The responsibility for the movie lies fully on Sheen's shoulders, and he carries the burden admirably. A overachieving low-budget sci-fi film with an interesting premise that is hampered by only a weak ending.
October 16, 2014
It's not bad but I can't say its exactly good either. Sheen's character is so powerfully douchey it's hard to care too hard about his wellbeing. He's like if Guy Fieri was a SETI scientist.
All in all, I dug the premise though... also the creative take on global warming. If they could shave a half hour off of this and add some more atmosphere it coulda been pretty good.
June 25, 2014
This underrated Sy Fy film bring us a story with a credible scientific support. In "Contact", the aliens communicate us how to travel to light speed to meet them, this time they communicate between them to organize and proceed with the "terraforming" of our planet and posterior conquer. Good choice to watch this night.
June 18, 2014
There are moments of brilliance... But it's hampered down by it's moments of idiocy.
½ March 14, 2014
Loved this when it came out... not so much any more.
½ February 16, 2014
Fair attempt at an alien conspiracy on earth story with a very neurotic Charlie Sheen doing an average job as lead, although to be fair to him there's a lot of lost potential about this movie.
½ February 11, 2014
Pretty good story, but terrible acting & directing.
October 20, 2007
Outstanding movie. Totally underrated and for some reason ,any people don't get it. A shame.
October 22, 2013
Currently watching....
October 7, 2013
I find it well done and fun
April 8, 2008
Finally, a Charlie Sheen performance worth seeing. Loved every second of this very underrated film! Ron Silver is great in this as well. RIP Ron :(
September 15, 2013
Charlie Sheen must have been a hot-shot in-demand actor in the 90's because honestly speaking, I find him:
1) A Funny Guy
2) A Funny Guy who knows only how to Over-act
3) A Funny Guy who looks silly when he is trying to act serious.
4) A Funny Guy who thinks he is a good actor.
5) A Funny Guy who doesn't know how to act.

So when you look at Charlie Sheen act in this movie, there are moments you do not know whether to laugh or if there is a hidden agenda or if what is happening is truly serious.

However, the movie by itself is quite entertaining and unique in its approach. I liked the concept and the storyline. But there again, the ending was flat out and disappointing. Director David Twohy (Riddick, the Fugitive and A Perfect Getaway) does bring a unique perspective to the movie however you wish it would take you to a climax rather than anti-climatic scene.

Moment of Truth
Watch the movie. It is different. But yeah, keep in mind - Charlie Sheen seriously is a funny guy.

Overall Ratings
6 out of 10

Loy Machedo
loymachedo dot com | whoisloymachedo dot com
½ September 7, 2013
kinda original very dated now
July 23, 2013
My Favorite Science Fiction Film Is 1968's 2001: A Space Odyssey.