• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

The Nutty Professor Reviews

Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 1, 2011
This remake of The Nutty Professor is absolutely hilarious. I think its Murphy's best film and the one he gave his absolute best on. He enthusisatically plays the entire family, having to sit through 6 hours of make-up a day which would depress and annoy most comedy actors today who care more about the money they make then the performance they give. Murphy doesn't resort to this therefore i'm proud to say his performance in the film was solid. The movie itself as I said hilarious!
Eric A

October 31, 2011
At the time of release, I found this movie to be very funny because it created the modern day genre of one actor playing multiple roles. Eddie Murphy killed as every role and set the stage for other films like it such as the Tyler Perry films, etc.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 16, 2011
The Nutty Professor is along with Bowfinger, one of Eddie Murphy's last funny comedies. The idea is good, and I enjoyed the comedic elements of the film. Of all the films that Eddie Murphy has starred in, The Nutty Professor is one of his funniest. Sure the film isn't perfect, but there are plenty of good laughs here to entertain the audience. I'm not the biggest Eddie Murphy fan, but I enjoyed this film, and I thought it had some great moments where the film was very well done. The Nutty Professor is a good comedy, and somewhat underrated. However, if you enjoy Eddie Murphy, give this one a shot, The Nutty Professor is one of his last funny roles, and he really does bring on good laughs with his antics in this film. The Nutty Professor has a good cast starring opposite Murphy, and the film boasts another comedic talent, Dave Chappelle. The film works well enough to be an entertaining hour and a half and despite the fact that it's not a comedic masterpiece, the film still has plenty of laughs going for it, and is much better than the second. This is one of Eddie Murphy's last good film roles along with Bowfinger afterwards he really started to make unfunny films that just insulted the intelligence and were a waste of time. Luckily looking back at this film, you realize that Eddie Murphy was once very funny and capable at delivering something unique on-screen. Now, he's totally irrelevant and unfunny. The Nutty Professor may not be the best comedy, but it definitely is worth watching and is pretty funny for what it is.
Alexander D

June 29, 2011
Starring Eddie Murphy (yeah, he's in his fat suit again), THE NUTTY PROFESSOR is elatedly dumb--as in really dumb.

We'd all like to think that Eddie Murphy is a funny guy. Truly he is, and if you've ever seen his stand-up comedy, it's great; the man just has trouble constructing a good movie.

There's two signs of "ehhh" in this one: a) Eddie Murphy is in a fat suit, which I already mentioned; b) at least ten characters are portrayed by Eddie Murphy. The latter means that either no one wanted to make a film this ridiculous, or Murphy just had a lot of time on his hands.

If you want the bottom line: I can't remember laughing. I might have laughed five or six times, but that's it. Mr. Murphy, I think it's time you put your fat suit away. It's becoming offensive and cliched.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
Really Stupid
Conner R

May 18, 2010
I think this was actually pretty funny on a guilty pleasure sort of level, it's like a crazy diet pill gone wrong. Eddie Murphy depicts a very stereotypical version of fat and skinny people, but it's really funny to watch at times. The family scenes were funny mainly due to the fact that it's so weird seeing him as 5 different people. The overall message is kind've sad and unrealistic, especially by today's standards.
deano
deano

October 30, 2006
This remake of the 1963 Jerry Lewis comedy with Eddie Murphy is really hilarious! Murphy as a shy, overweight professor Sherman Klump's chemical concoction proves to be anything but stable, bringing plenty of laughs to this surprisingly heartwarming tale.
KJ P

January 23, 2010
This movie was hilarious! One of eddie murphy's best! Great work!
Anthony L

September 24, 2009
oh look, its Eddie Murphy in a fat suit! Why doesn?t he just become fat and have done with it, it would save him a lot of time!
Leigh R

August 24, 2006
Nutty? You can say that again.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
haven't seen an Eddie Murphy movie yet that wasn't hilarious and The Nutty Professor is one of the best he's ever made. He plays the role of an overweight and intelligent professor that likes a gorgeous new teacher, but he doesn't have the courage to ask her out because of his size. He develops a formula that turns him into a skinnier, arrogant man that seems to have a better chance with the teacher that Mr. Klump (the overweight professor)likes. She turns out to like the skinnier, more arrogant version of Eddie Murphy but thinks he's too out of control. Later on, Eddie Murphy gets stuck in the new body and wants to go back to being Mr. Klump, but the new arrogant version tried to keep him from becoming Mr. Klump again.
The professor creates a formula that can drastically make anyone lose weight within seconds and can't wait to prove it to everyone. However, even this is a challenge when the new, skinnier Eddie Murphy tries to take over and do away with Mr. Klump.

The Nutty Professor is one of the funniest movies ever made in my opinion. Some of the sequences might not be as good as the others, but I don't know anybody in my family or any of my friends that didn't like the movie. It's one of Eddie Murphy's best and if you feel like laughing, you need to get this movie. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I've seen a few Eddie Murphy movies that aren't hilarious now! This is still a highlight of his career for me though, love it.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 22, 2007
Hilarious, although the sequel was a bit deeper.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
This really is Eddie Murphy doing what Eddie Murphy does best. A funny family film with a great underlying message that children really seem to pick up. Never really fancied the follow up dvd 'The Klumps' but I had forgotten how funny this film was.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Eddie Murphy is nuts.
Dean !

July 1, 2007
I really like this comedy. Eddie Murphy is on top form again and it even carries a heart warming message as well.
Dan S

June 25, 2007
Funny.
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
funny. eddie does like to dress up.
Lafe F

June 22, 2007
Great fun with a Nutty Professor and his rude family "The Klumps", all played by Eddie Murphy. Their dinner table dynamics were far more interesting than the Professor's actual experiments, but I loved his heckling of the stand-up comedian at the night club. The effect-filled ending was enormous. They tried to impart a message of "be yourself". Good effort, Eddie!
Rachel F

May 30, 2007
Just damn funny...and slightly crazy.
Tim B