The Island of Dr. Moreau - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island of Dr. Moreau Reviews

½ October 26, 2011
I genuinely can't begin to describe how bizarre this movie is. I almost recommend it just for people to see how bad movies can get.
½ May 9, 2007
Brando and Kilmer are both totally off their rockers in this. Kudos to Frankenheimer for just finishing this flawed, but slightly interesting film.
Stan Winston's make up is also incredible.
FilmFanatik
January 1, 2008
Not that great.
ScoopOnline
December 19, 2009
On a remote ISLAND in the South Pacific, the balance OF nature has been upset by the experiments of DR. MOREAU... with the key of science he's unlocked the gates of hell.
skactopus
June 11, 2008
Despite having some good actors and a potentially good story, this adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel of the same name, doesn't really go anywhere.The sci-fi aspect of the story is definitely there, but the movie fails to take full advantage of it. In the end, this film feels like a sci-fi channel original movie, and I'm not talking about one of the rare good ones. After some decent opening credits, the film starts out like crap. Why the heck did they need to have that stupid fight in the raft? That was a waste of a couple of minutes. Anyway, once the main character, Edward Douglas reaches the island, the film begins to take shape. Unfortunately, once Dr. Moreau makes an appearance, the film crashes back down. Slowly by slowly the story fades away and the film ends up feeling like an action film, but with weird creatures running the show.On a positive note, the film uses costumes and makeup for the characters rather than CG. There are only 3 human characters in the film, 4 if you count Fairuza Balk, so I give props to the costume and makeup department here. On the other hand, the creatures may frighten a younger audience.As mentioned earlier, the acting isn't too bad. David Thewlis pulls off the lead and Fairuza Balk is pretty darn sexy. Marlon Brando is nothing special, but Val Kilmer puts on quite a performance, especially in the second half. It really does seem as all the characters in this film are crazy except for Ron Perlman.Unless you like Marlon Brando or Val Kilmer, I don't see any other reason to watch this film.
½ July 5, 2007
Unintentionally funny because of Marlon Brando and his mini-me's weird costumes and acting. A curiosity of a movie which seems like an unnecessary remake, since the '76 original was entertaining and advanced enough. Val Kilmer is flat in this movie. The animal effects are decent. There's some gorey scenes. But nothing improved over the original. Watch this version for Marlon Brando and his little pet alone.
June 9, 2007
Didn't even make it all the way through this. I'm a huge fan of the original "Island of Lost Souls" so I thought this was utter crap. Charles Laughton ran circles around Brando (and that's saying something). Plus the little red guy freaked me out.
CloudStrife84
June 5, 2007
Don't remember much from this movie, only that it was incredibly cheesy and bad.
½ February 22, 2007
Went to the cinema and had to sit through this piece of crap. A huge wobbling Brando bores you stupid and Val Kilmer just irritates. Avoid like the clap.
deano
January 31, 2007
Poor and worst sci-fi remake of the crazed beasties on an island.
January 5, 2007
A weird one but it was expected.
garyX
December 30, 2006
Laughably poor ham science fiction as Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer try to out over-act each other surrounded by the cast of Cats. An absurd film that still manages to bore.
½ June 3, 2006
Kilmer, Thewlis and Brando all give fantastic performances in an overlooked thriller. It may seem absurd to some with animal people waltzing about but with some suspension of reality it works very well. Some very creepy and unforgettable visuals are also incorporated to a disturbing film.
February 20, 2006
Well I loved it!
½ November 4, 2006
A cataclysmic disaster that left an ugly black mark on the careers of everyone involved. Conceptually the film is ludicrous, and the chaos surrounding its production only magnifies its outrageousness. This is a mess of hideous creature design, bone-headed writing and "screw it all" direction, flanked by some of the worst acting I've ever seen. David Thewlis, an actor I admire, cannot fight his way through the stupidity of it all, and Val Kilmer delivers a hideously terrible excuse for a performance. Marlon Brando, probably the greatest actor in the history of cinema, can be seen reading from cue cards in numerous scenes and at one point wears an ice bucket on his head for no apparent reason. A disasterpiece in every sense.
½ October 30, 2007
This film starts really well and just gets progressively worse - not helped by David Thewlis' character sounding like a child when arguing with Brando. The whole "nature of man" theme is fascinating but once Brando is killed everything starts getting silly and by the end the film is completely lost. Quite liked Val Kilmer in this though.
½ February 22, 2008
this movie is so weird and i never can stop watching ti everytime its shown on the tube, you have to watch it to see what i mean
February 2, 2008
Well, Moreau wasn't as bad as it could've been. But it was clear Frankenheimer had no idea how to make the script work... Or how to shoot around two bozos... Or even how to make Lupin and Dorothy Gale's love story work. I hate to say it, but Brando really is the best part of the movie. He's sweet (despite having lines read to him) and with that wee little man, he's memorable. But Stanley's version of Aissa's death was way better, darker, and cynical. Knowing that really makes the rewritten fate of the character just absolutely horrid... And ineffective.
May 1, 2015
Anarchist would love this film because of the mob rule madness that gets created but movie goers will be befuddled by this unfocused effort.
April 1, 2015
The concept is intriguing in a Jurassic Park sort of way where "playing God" turns out to be a disaster for the delusional mad scientist who believes that he's serving a higher purpose for the greater good of society. The main problem I had is that it doesn't flow in an organic sort of way and even though Val Kilmer did well enough pulling off a really bizarre impersonation of the "father" his descent into madness is like whiplash. One moment he's a law enforcement officer of sorts and the next he's all crazy pants with no real explanation. I also don't understand the "old and wise" goat man character. I'm assuming he must be a parody of preachers testifying about the Lord and the "father" is his God but he's just too out of place among the other characters and is overly contrived to get a point across when he's not necessary in the story at all. The other characters get the point across just fine without him. Despite all of that and more I didn't mention this movie is still somehow fascinating and has a haunting quality to it that gets under the skin. I think part of it comes from the concept of the "perfect creature" being a cat woman. She is indirectly portrayed as a black cat woman (no explanation of that needed) mixed with the Stones "Under my Thumb". I can't be the first person to point that out.