64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Harriet the Spy Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
This is another movie that really inspired me when I was younger. Many people can relate to Harriet's problems in this movie, or have wanted to be spies like her at some point in their childhood. This is a good movie. Also, this movie is based on a great children's book.
Spencer S

August 2, 2010
True to the book, but it's fitted more for kids, so my rating is based off how I interpret it.
Alice S

July 15, 2010
Probably Michelle Trachtenberg's best performance. I thought this movie was okay as a kid, but now, I like it even better. I can't quite pinpoint the quality - perhaps it's the bluesy groove or Rosie O'Donnell's straightforward delivery of the life lessons.
Rachel F

August 5, 2007
Growing up, this was one of my favorite movies. It's really cute.
Drew S

January 23, 2007
A mostly unmemorable "child revenge" flick.
Sarah P

June 15, 2010
One of my favorites as a child. I just watched it the other day and I still enjoy it!
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 14, 2006
I remember this being quite good, if only for Michelle Trachtenberg. But I also remember it being disappointing because my imagination was cooking up far better situations than the ones played out on screen.
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
People tell me this movie sucks but I love it anyway. Suck it world!
iLeo
iLeo

December 12, 2007
Funny!
kenscheck
November 3, 2011
Harriet the Spy was Nickelodeon's first feature length film, and it is actually pretty good. It is a solid family film with a decent little plot and a good cast of young actors, and Rosie O'Donnell too. Solid entertainment from my youth.
allefra25
August 27, 2010
It was a cute little 90s movie. Kind of hilariously dumb in parts, but, I mean, it's a movie made for 6 year olds. It wasn't bad.
MyPainYourThrill
May 14, 2010
I seriously enjoy this movie whenever I see it. I had it on video but I no longer use a VCR. Great movie, love watching it when possible!
October 4, 2009
I loved this as a child, and I still enjoy re-watching it now and again. Having been a fan of the book, there are few scenes in films more satisfying than that blue hand print on Marion Hawthorne's face...

On a serious note, this film is a great portrayal of adolescence and the need to grow up and understand other people's situations. Each of the characters Harriet engages in have their own interesting story, and her opinion of each can be quite amusing. When Harriet is found to be a "spy" and her friends even turn on her which results in insane amount of bullying, I really feel for Harriet.

The movie doesn't present everything in a nice neat package and even has subtle symbolism resembling suicide at it's darkest part (Harriet diving into the tub, clothes on) , even though it does eventually provide closure- it shows the true maturity and how the characters have all evolved since the beginning. A true testament to the promise Nickelodeon films once had!
June 5, 2009
remind me her name is michelle trachtenberg all you want, i will never stop calling her harriet the spy.
xandiXlizXmackix
May 3, 2007
Welcome to the spy-house: Harriet M. Welsch writes private thoughts on her notebook while sneakingly spying on other people, all encouraged by her nanny and friend Ole Golly. She's hoping that she would be an aspiring writer someday. But one day at a park, Harriet's notebook was taken by a clique - headed by Marion Hawthorne - who reads all of Harriet's secrets. Such comments were hurtful for Harriet's best friends, science geek Janie and the sport-loving Sport, so her classmates shun her. The film's fine, but when I read the original Harriet The Spy from Louise Fitzhugh, I knew there are some differences between this and the novel; the story order and the racially diverse class are a few of these. Is it because the original novel was too long? Fitzhugh wrote a few other books about the titular character so I thought Harriet The Spy could have been a TV show with all the chapters to follow along.

Directed by Bronwen Hughes, Harriet The Spy has good acting from the following cast:
1.) Michelle Trachtenberg (Harriet M. Welsch)
2.) Gregory Smith (Simon "Sport" Roque)
3.) Vanessa Lee Chester (Janie Gibbs)
4.) Rosie O'Donnell (Ole Golly)
5.) J. Smith-Cameron (Mrs. Welsch)
6.) Robert Joy (Mr. Welsch)
7.) Charlotte Sullivan (Marion Hawthorne)
8.) Eartha Kitt (Agatha K. Plummer)

The film version of Harriet The Spy may be too short - and I therefore stick to the novel - but at least it's fun to watch. A treasure from the '90s golden heyday of Nickelodeon (their first film feature), it gave me the real definition of "spy" trained for espionage, not to mention learning secrets from others.
July 30, 2007
Nickelodeon's first movie, if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, that means it paved the way for stuff like Good Burger, you know :o
July 18, 2007
I remember being little and wanting to be her. Just writing down all my secerts in a little notebook she had.
oompa172000
May 23, 2007
i watched this movie when i was about 13 and loved it i was just like her had my note book with me all the time it was more like a diary and minute to minute stuff of what is was doing like counting my hair lol
March 6, 2007
I adore this movie. I own the book too, and they are just both fabulous... when I was younger, I wanted to be Harriet. I would drag my friend around the neighborhood to "spy" on people. I still wish Rosie could be my Golly. Good times...
March 2, 2007
I loved this movie as a kid, another great book to movie film i spyed for like a month on fam after i seen this, lol