Emma Reviews

½ February 27, 2007
Very delightful.
movieguru12
September 9, 2010
I don't know why everyone loves this movie I thought it was extremely boring.
½ May 30, 2007
Fairly faithful adaptation of the Jane Austen novel. Gwyneth Paltrow is adorable and Ewan McGregor sans ridiculous hair is kind of charming, so this should all make for quite a solid movie. But despite all this I was kind of bored. The problem is that the story wasn't all that great to begin with. Sorry, Ms. Austen.
thmtsang
½ July 14, 2007
Great adaptation of Jane Austen's novel.
jjnxn
April 1, 2007
gwyneth is good in this but it's the rest of the cast that really makes this a pleasure.
September 9, 2006
For some reason, when I first saw Emma I gave it two and a half stars but since then it has become one of my favorite movies. I am so glad that I gave it a second chance!
January 4, 2010
Before Gwyneth became annoying, she actually created some memorable performances. This was..I believe...the first film of hers that I saw and despite my dislike for period pieces, I enjoyed it.
xxdebxx
April 23, 2011
"Maybe it is our Imperfections that make us so wonderful for each other"

An interesting study of a young upper class woman Emma Woodhouse (Gwyneth Paltrow) whose position of privilege in English country society allows her to meddle in the private affairs of others! She tries to be a matchmaker for her friend Harriet (Toni Collette) with the nice young reverend Elton (Alan Cumming), but it turns out he was only interested in Emma! Problems ahead for everyone involved. Throughout the movie, Emma's unsuccessful matchmaking attempts and other obstacles help her to see the error in her ways and to consequently become a better person.

The two most important men in Emma's life are her father (Denys Hawthorne) and Mr. Knightley (Jeremy Northam), her lifelong friend who is the shining star in the movie. He perfectly blends upper class haughtiness with gentlemanly strength to create a character every female secretly wants to be swept away by. No offense but Ewan McGregor looked hideous in comparison.
½ January 14, 2007
Not the most faithful-to-book Emma, but the highest production value, and a lot of fun! I found some of the casting quite strange, in particular Harriet and Jane Fairfax, and the ages of most of the cast were so off as to be distracting.
zeravenyoej
August 3, 2007
Like Pride and Prejudice, this took about a half hour for me to get into it. Jane Austin sometimes feels like a forgein language that I learned a long time ago but have forgotten most of, and struggle to pick out a few recognizeable words here and there. But there are some fun momments to be had. Gwyneth Paltrow is kind of annoying at first, but she fairs decently as things movie along. Her best moments come when Emma is annoyed by the people around her. Toni Collette is uncharacteristically feminine in this role. The modern direction has its clever moments, but it mostly feels out of place, and the art direction is similarly off putting.
weelee18
November 3, 2007
Emma - Cupid is armed and dangerous!

Based on the Jane Austen novel, "Emma" tells the story of a young woman in England who plays her town's matchmaker. When attempting to match up her friend with the Reverend Elton, Emma starts to run into complications, which multiply amongst themselves with cases of mistaken intentions of love, a cast of supporting characters who each love someone else, but Emma doesn't know who loves who, and Emma finally realizing the one person she truly loves..

good movie..
DrStrangeblog
March 6, 2009
Delightful, refreshingly lighthearted treatment of a period piece with characters who behave more like real people than stage actors in frilly garb. I wasn't sold on Gwyneth Paltrow until seeing this film.
jimbotender
December 22, 2008
Super ambitious Jane Austen adaption,sticking to the luxurious bolts,flinching characters,sassy remarks in the appropriate fictional tone,the titular novel is much joyful to explore rather indulging in a boring at times crossroads romantic comedy (weird in an Austen book).Cumming and Collette as well as the costumes are the only high points.
mingsysar
August 15, 2006
The worst adaptation of an Austen novel, also the worst. Who cast Ewan McGregor? The central romance is totally unconvincing, Toni Collette looks out of place and the relationships aren't engaging in the slightest.
½ August 9, 2007
I just didn't think this was interesting or clever.
June 9, 2007
I love this film, but It's probably because I'm a girl. One of my favorite romances. I love the scene at the end with Paltrow and Northam, so cute.
½ August 27, 2009
I am not much of a Paltrow fan and found her to be rather annoying as the heroine in this story. Her deplorable acting aside the rest of the story was quite enjoyable. It is a reasonably accurate adaptation of Austen's novel.
½ September 6, 2012
I do not care for the trifles of Emma Woodhouse and do not understand the need for a film about them. This entertainment would have been perfectly acceptable in book form, for ladies in 19th-century England to occupy their time with. But to me, it dragged on immensely long, with no particular care for any of the characters or their meddling personalities.