Titanic Reviews

½ April 14, 2012
Titanic is an entertaining and dramatic made-for-television film that's quite comprehensive. Aboard the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic an estranged couple rekindle their romance and a pair of thieves plan an intricate heist, but destiny intervenes. A number of impressive stars form the cast, including George C. Scott, Catherine Zeta Jones, Tim Curry, Marilu Henner, and Barry Pepper. While most of the acting is subpar, some of the actors like Scott, Jones, and Curry really shine. Yet, the film is surprisingly ambitious; attempting to tell the entire tale of Titanic, from its launch to the survivors' arrival at New York. It also attempts to incorporate a number of CGI shots, and although the CGI is rudimentary, it works well enough. While the made-for-television format limits the film, Titanic still delivers an impressively captivating adventure.
½ April 6, 2013
Although this miniseries doesn't come close to capturing the scope of the disaster as Cameron did, the filler material is far better.
½ January 28, 2010
I'm sure this makes me a hater but...really? They got lucky with the story because it's based on something that actually happened. I think this film was in the right place at the right time. Surprised it's done so well and grossed so much.
½ August 28, 2009
I actually got to watch this movie on TV when it originally aired before the big Cameron movie came out and ate it up. Granted I was 13 and had been obsessed with the Titanic since I was in 6th grade and read "Ghosts I Have Been" and "Amanda Miranda" by Richard Peck. I liked it a lot at the time though remembered being bored by then not as famous Zeta-Jones and Gallagher's painfully silly love story but loving the story of Tim Curry the conman trying to loot the ship in the panic and the young steerage guy who he ropes into helping him but really just wants to try and make sure his cute steerage girlfriend is safe and go straight. They also really coolly weave in that creepy real story of the freaky Nanny who took the baby and got him safe whilst the mom and other girls died trying to find the baby.

On a second recent watching my opinion has not really changed but the production value looks REALLY bad when compared to any other version of the film (even the 70's TV movie holds up better than this) and yeah, it's mostly a soap opera so don't go expecting any deep message on class struggle or the irony of man trying to defeat nature but loosing like other versions will give you. It's just plain melodramatic fun.
½ June 26, 2009
I enjoyed this version very much. Anything dealing with history and learning from our mistakes intrigues me very much. Peter is a hottie and Catherine is just amazing. George is everlasting as an actor.
June 17, 2009
Best movie ever made but they drowned it into the ground by playing it on tv and playing the song ay to damn much now im kind of sick of it to tell u all the truth
½ March 31, 2009
OMG... i have watched this movie hella times... and it's pretty amazing that I don't get tired of it... I even memorize some of their lines... this movie is sooo pretty awesome....
½ January 10, 2009
My baby took me to see this on valintines day it was a suprise we took our 7th mnt old to the movies for the first time he behaved
½ November 30, 2007
Nothing on Earth could come between them, the passengers whose fate would be changed by a remarkable event. "Titanic" is a lavish-looking, star-studded TV miniseries (and story, of course) that few lived to tell the tale. We've all heard of one cruise ship called the Titanic and its sinking as well. On its maiden voyage, the Titanic leaves Southampton, England, for New York. Passengers included a first class family, a nanny, a stowaway, an immigrant, and the ship's crew itself. On the night of April 14, 1912, their fates are destined for doom into the icy waters of the Atlantic as the Titanic hits an iceberg. There is some character-to-character romance, but most importantly for the story is the event itself - I saw so much panic among the crowds who were awaiting for their rescue. While there were 700+ survivors, more than 1500 died because there were not enough lifeboats on board. How sad! I felt saddened with the third-class passengers especially since they were immigrants hoping for better life in America. Though they may look like cheap models, the special effects (SFX) of the ship and its interior - and its oceanic background, too - look very real to me, and I liked it.

"Titanic" was directed by Robert Lieberman and features good acting performances from cast members such as Catherine Zeta-Jones, Peter Gallagher, Eva Marie Saint, George C. Scott, Tim Curry, Mike Doyle, and Sonsee Neu. Yes, I know that there is an orchestra playing when the Titanic went down, but no "Nearer My God To Thee"? Mournful music or not, the background instrumentals are still very strong to fit with the fates going down with the ship. As for the film's spoken dialogue, it is definitely excellent.

Although this is a 1996 release, "Titanic" was the same miniseries that I first saw on TV back in 1998 and divided into two separate parts that ran in a total of four hours (three if you don't count the commercials). I understand that there are some historical and factual inaccuracies here, including how the Titanic sank in one piece when it actually split. For that reason of errors that got me confused a bit, the moment I finished most of the miniseries, I would later watch the more superior theatrical version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in it.
August 7, 2008
great movie i saw this in the theater with my mom and dad a long time ago and i cryed through the whole movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 3, 2008
I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago, I LOVED IT! I actually liked this better than the newer version Titanic. A lot more detail..... Tim Curry was absolutely wonderful!
March 30, 2008
Personally i dont think any titanic movie can compare with Titanic the one with Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet.
February 22, 2008
I have this movie and have watched it many times. Surprised the DVD isn't warped! Leo is one hot babe!
½ January 27, 2008
I love Tim Curry in this movie! Him as a........ well I'm gonna give a *spoiler* ..... mean old rapist! I was SO turned on.
January 12, 2008
One of the most romantic films...with a strong female lead and a love story that "drowns" in your own tears...LOL
December 5, 2007
There have beeen SO MANY Titanic movies, including several TV versions. This one was a TV mini-series about a year before the Cameron epic version. Still a very good movie.
October 1, 2007
This is NOT the one with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. This titanic is a different version starring George C . Scott and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
October 1, 2007
I saw this version *after* I saw the 1997 movie with Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. This one was ok but not quite as good.
September 24, 2007
This movie was so perfect in so many ways. The 50's Titanic movie was great, but this one exceeded that film and every disaster film ever made. It's the undisputed king of disaster films. I don't think it will ever be equaled.
August 12, 2007
this is also not as good as the one with leo and the other girl i can t think of what her name is right now