Hamlet

100% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Hamlet Reviews

January 29, 2014
One of the best play to screen movies of all time. Almost word for word to the book, Kenneth Branagh plays the young prince Hamlet of Denmark perfectly. Every actor does a stunning performance. A must watch. Worth four hours to watch you ask? Oh yes, totally worth it.
January 26, 2014
There's so many memorable quotes in this drama, and it well executed by the most stunning performers. Well done.
January 21, 2014
So glad we watched the movie in class. It's a love letter to Shakespeare that's worth its 4 hours.
December 13, 2013
The first half feels much more compelling and interesting, but that might reflect the title character and his change over time.
February 3, 2009
Bloody brilliant. Hands down... no other rendition compares. I don't care if you think its over-rated or over-the-top... This is arguably the BEST version of Hamlet... Branagh does it again!
Raistline M.
December 5, 2013
The worst rendition of Hamlet. Jack Lemon, Billy Crystal and Robin William's jokes fall flat. The extreme left does not let Charlton Heston shoot anything while Gerard Depardieu tries desperately to achieve best comedic role. Let alone Branagh's speech in which he calls the stratosphere a foul and petulant congregation of vapors. I do not need to mix my movies with and Kyoto treaties.
ShakenNotStirred007
November 29, 2013
A spectacular, thrilling and exacting adaption of Shakespeare's that is beautifully filmed and well acted.
November 28, 2013
Although the play's setting is in one place (Blenheim Palace), Branagh proves in this movie how powerful he is as an actor.
October 26, 2013
This was much better than I expected.

Despite having enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's other Shakespeare adaptation, Henry V the 4 hour runtime on his version of Hamlet left me a little nervous. Now, I tend to like long movies, and considering my favorite film of all time has a 4 hour length, this fact really shouldn't have put me off. I was afraid it would be too drawn out and boring, but thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised with the film. While it does drag in places, Hamlet is ultimately a very captivating film that kept me interested for the entire time. The performances are excellent, especially from Branagh, who is equally as good behind the camera. The production design and costumes are immaculate, and some of the cinematography was quite stunning. I especially liked the symmetry in some scenes, namely in the beginning. The dialogue is very good as well, but you really can't go wrong with Shakespeare's most famous play.

Hamlet is Branagh's most ambituous film for sure, and it certainly pays off for the most part. His version is a great ode that The Bard himself would be proud of.
October 17, 2013
The best interpretation of this play. Dynamic pacing, great production, and superb performance by Branagh.
October 4, 2013
Kenneth Branagh made "Hamlet" as it was meant to be experienced. Although despite being both 4 hours long and not a success as they hoped for at the box office, every critics and audiences who saw it calls this " One of the best Shakespeare film adaptations ever made" and I definitely agree on that.
July 29, 2013
A pitch-perfect adaption, with incredible acting, directing, costumes; just everything. One of the best movies of all time.
September 21, 2013
Hamlet is masterfully acted, directed and of course scripted (it's by Shakespeare so...). Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet proves to possibly be the greatest Shakespeare adaptation of all time.
September 14, 2013
This movie is one of the best impressions of Hamlet, not because of its high expenses used to produce such a film. But it's because of the extraordinary actors who were able to speak the dialog with such strength and emotion. There was also the amazing camera shots that were long an uncut, because of the actors ability to memorize their lines and be able to continue to stay in character for the longest time in one shot. Watching this film it feels like a four hour film, because you feel so immersed in the scenery and the amazing performance done by the cast. In this film I saw very little mistakes with the placement of objects and the hands, but you notice very little of it, because of the rising confrontation between the characters just waiting to happen. An amazing film and truly the best book to film, film.
September 1, 2013
This magnificent film's only flaw is a slightly overblown climax (we all know what I'm talking about here). Otherwise, this film does justice to every aspect of the Bard's magnum opus and stands out as an absolute gem even when divorced from the source material. Branagh regards this as his masterpiece, and I wholeheartedly agree with him. Bravo. Bravissimo.
July 24, 2013
Certainly impressive in its length, this version of the play allows not only Hamlet to shine but to focus on so many of the other great characters (Opheila, Fortinbras, the grave digger, etc) -- and it raises some interesting new interpretive angles.
macmavro
July 14, 2013
Abigail recommendation
J.D. Karlowich
July 4, 2013
Kenneth Branagh delivers a highly faithful and respective adaptation of the William Shakespeare play in this perfect film. The film is completely uncut, running at four hours, while closely following the play. Kenneth Branagh adds perfect direction to the film, while having taking place somewhere in the late 1800s. Branagh is also a perfect casting choice for the role of Hamlet, being a sense of reluctance and patience to the role. The supporting actors are also perfect, with Derek Jacobi as Claudius, Julie Christie as Gertrude and Richard Briers as Polonius delivering perfect performances as the royal members. Billy Crystal, Timothy Spall, Robin Williams, Richard Attenborough, Rufus Sewell and Kate Winslet giving terrific performances as well. The cinematography and Patrick Doyle's score are beautiful, while Branagh does a highly good job at sticking closely to the source. The film works well and perfectly succeeds.
November 5, 2007
This one I like. Robin Williams and Billy Crystal make excellent cameos. And there's none of that disturbing Oedipus stuff going on like so many other Hamlets (ahem, Mel Gibson).
May 25, 2013
The best modern day Shakespeare movie to date. The actors make the play come alive and make even the usually indiscernible prose of Shakespeare understandable to everyone.