Nothing to Lose Reviews

½ September 4, 2011
04/09/2011 (ONLINE)

FUNNY! I enjoyed this awkward partnership that made things dangerously hilarious. Putting oil with water only causes separation but if you shake things up you have "Nothing to Lose" right?

This is old-school for me and seeing it now still has me bursting with laughter, not only that but a pretty dramatic situation that intensifies the humor... hoping for the best and laughing at the worst.

You got nothing to do? Put this on... kick back... you got "Nothing To Lose".
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Hilarious. Tim Robbins and Martin Lawerence make a surprisingly brilliant comedy act. Must see film!
movieguru12
½ January 4, 2011
Doesn't even deserve half of a star.
FilmFanatik
May 28, 2007
Forgettable mid-nineties comedy that did absolutely nothing for Martin Lawrence's career - or for Tim Robinson's for that matter.
½ April 8, 2010
Martin Lawrence's best comedy ever haha and a surprisingly funny match up with Robbins made this a surprisingly good film. There are some really good moments in this eg. Lawrence dangling out of a window tied to a chair, Robbins on fire, Robbins going nuts at a CCTV, Robbins losing his marbles in general lol!! its all very silly but highly amusing.

Probably one of the better films of 97 actually, a real surprise haha can't stress how surprising it was that this film was good!
October 14, 2009
Man I loved this movie when it was new...it was flat out hilarious, especially the part where Robbins has fire dancing on his shoes.
½ September 25, 2009
Quite funny in places but overall it?s an average comedy.
June 11, 2006
T. Paul: There's a spider on your head.
Nick Beam: What?
T. Paul: There's a spider on yo head.
Nick Beam: Look, I'm sorry, I'm not up on all this jive talkin', home boy lingo, what's that supposed to mean? "There's a spider on your head"?
T. Paul: It means there's a spider on your motherfuckin' head, man!
Nick Beam: Well get it off! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!
T. Paul: I ain't touchin' that shit!

As I write this review, I am watching this movie on television and enjoying it. I have seen it a number of times and find it entertaining enough. It's nothing special, but it has its moments and is perfect for a late night viewing when you've got...nothing...to...lose...

Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence make the ridiculous team in this familiar buddy movie about an odd pairing forming between to people to hopefully get what they want.

In this case, Robbins' character happens to have witnessed a terrible sight, loses it, and drives off. Lawrence attempts to carjack him, but does not succeed. This results in a strange road trip, where the two eventually bond, and decide to do what they believe is right together; rob Robbins' boss.

Of course this movie is mainly about the chemistry between Lawrence and Robbins and for the most part it works, mainly out of the whole opposites attracting aspect.

John C. McGinley, among others also shows up in a supporting role, showing once again how great of a character actor he is in any part.

It's an entertaining movie for the most part and as I said, very good if you just happen to catch it on TV and decide to stick around.

Nick Beam: Now honestly, which one of us was scarier?
Henry: [Looking at T] He was scarier.
T. Paul: Hah!
Nick Beam: Really? You didn't find what he did as contrived?
Henry: No it was scary.
Nick Beam: What part?
Henry: The 'freeze motherfucker' part was scary and he lead me to believe that if I moved my ass, it might be blown off.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
good flick, they worked well together and kelly preston was good as always
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Two very different guys cross paths one night.
garyX
½ May 26, 2007
One of Martin Lawrence's less offensive offerings, but that's mainly due to Tim Robbins' entertainingly manic turn as a middle class suburbanite who reaches the end of his tether when he finds his wife in bed with another man. Kind of like a slapstick buddy version of Falling Down.
skactopus
May 8, 2007
Story is a bit lame, but you won't really care since Martin Lawrence will keep you laughing with his action and constant swearing dialogue. The soundtrack is pretty good as well. One thing that I was hoping for was more scenes with Kelly Preston.
puffchunk
½ April 23, 2007
At least I remember it being funny...
½ November 7, 2006
So freakin' hilarious.
June 10, 2007
Before Hollywood got it's hands on him, Martin Lawrence was an outrageous and hilarious stand-up comedian. In recent years, he was been toned down, in an effort to turn him into another Will Smith, but back in the day, there were few who were as funny or extreme as Martin Lawrence. Nothing To Lose is a great example of just how good, Lawrence was during his prime. The story follows Nick Beam, (Tim Robbins) a man who has seen something that no man should ever see. Devastated and downtrodden, Beam drops everything and goes for a drive, when a street thug named T, (Martin Lawrence) puts a gun in his face and tries to take his car. Beam's responds by laughing and saying, "Boy did you pick the wrong guy on the wrong day," and then he floors it, taking us into an improbably, but terrific adventure. Ever since his portrayal of Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins has been tight-cased into these high profile dramatic roles, making it hard to remember that he actually got his start doing comedy. The lanky, loveable, anger-crazed man he plays in this film is absolutely hysterical. The chemistry between Robbins and Lawrence is what makes this film work. They both have a distinct form of comedy that you wouldn't expect to work as well as it does, but I can say without hesitation that this under the radar comedy is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time.
xxdebxx
December 3, 2010
Nick Beam (Tim Robbins) is a creative advertising executive who believes that his wife Ann (Kelly Preston) is having an affair with his slimy boss. Shocked and upset, he is driving aimlessly when a street thug (Martin Lawrence) tries to carjack him but it's the wrong day, as Nick no longer has any concern for his own well being and calls the carjacker's bluff. ``You sure picked the wrong guy,'' Nick says, flooring the accelerator. On the way back they forge a friendship and devise a scheme to rob his boss to get even for the so-called affair.
March 8, 2007
A very funny film. This is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Contains a lot of funny moments and a pretty interesting story. Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence make a funny duo.
chadroesti
½ February 22, 2007
The dancing scene of this movie where Tim Robbins had his feet on fire killed me!
March 19, 2013
One of those completely forgettable mismatched buddy movies. I like Tim Robbins to a certain degree but Martin Lawrence has always sucked from awful TV show onward.
September 10, 2012
I thought it the perfect pairing of Martin and Tim..they played really well off each other
Fave line: You must be really fast..