Nothing to Lose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nothing to Lose Reviews

October 29, 2015
Very silly, but also sweet and funny. Although, why did the people who lived in the Arizona desert have Southern accents?
½ October 13, 2015
Underrated late 90's comedy. Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence cross pass by chance and have quite the journey together. It may not be the funniest movie but it does produce laughs whether it be because of Lawrence's wanna be thug attitude or Robbin's 'Nothing to Lose' attitude, either way it's a fun comedy to watch.
½ September 21, 2015
On my path this last weekend I found 'Nothing To Lose' from 1997, featuring Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence.

While hopelessly dated in appearance, this movie made me laugh out loud a couple of times, which is something I can't say for a lot of 'comedies' these days.

The movie tells the story of Nick (Robbins), a guy who finds his wife in bed with his boss. Instead of acting on it, he leaves. On his car ride out of the city he gets carjacked by T. Paul (Lawrence), but turns the tables on his robber and drives him on a wild ride to Arizona.

Robbins plays with understated depression, Lawrence with over-the-top bravado. After some experiences, the two start to take a liking to each other and end up masterminding a plan to rob Nick's boss. Meanwhile two local petty criminals chase the duo for invading their territory.

So there's a lot going on and I'm not going to spoil the ending here. Most of it is good, not great, but there are some really hilarious moments both in acting and in dialogue. Lawrence's delivery and timing on several of them is classic.

Despite some diversion in the form of a visit to T. Paul's family and a handful of scenes involving Nick and the flower girl from his building, the whole thing stays sufficiently on track.

Of course this movie also tries to do some stuff it shouldn't, like make a half-assed attempt at portraying corporate white America's inherent racism. This isn't the vehicle for that.

But since this movie doesn't take itself TOO seriously as a whole and there's plenty of clues dropped throughout the story, it turned out to be a pretty good time.

Pros: genuinely funny
Cons: dated, goes off the tracks a couple times
Verdict: a good time!
September 16, 2015
Damn critics always see the diminishing stars. For me this is a milestone movie in comedy.
½ July 6, 2015
Entertaining. Nothing more or less.
½ May 10, 2015
On the run buddy comedy that should have been run off.
½ February 14, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 8, 2014
A lot of talented actors are wasted in this tone-deaf, unfunny comedy. The score, by Robert Folk, is one of the worst I've ever heard. It turns a bad film into a really bad film. There is one funny scene: Martin Lawrence's mama repeatedly slaps him silly. That's it. Nothing else to see here.
½ July 21, 2014
I forgot "white boy" was the go-to insult of the 90's.
October 11, 2013
one of the best comedies of the 90's. gold.
June 10, 2007
Before Hollywood got it's hands on him, Martin Lawrence was an outrageous and hilarious stand-up comedian. In recent years, he was been toned down, in an effort to turn him into another Will Smith, but back in the day, there were few who were as funny or extreme as Martin Lawrence. Nothing To Lose is a great example of just how good, Lawrence was during his prime. The story follows Nick Beam, (Tim Robbins) a man who has seen something that no man should ever see. Devastated and downtrodden, Beam drops everything and goes for a drive, when a street thug named T, (Martin Lawrence) puts a gun in his face and tries to take his car. Beam's responds by laughing and saying, "Boy did you pick the wrong guy on the wrong day," and then he floors it, taking us into an improbably, but terrific adventure. Ever since his portrayal of Andy Dufresne in The Shawshank Redemption, Tim Robbins has been tight-cased into these high profile dramatic roles, making it hard to remember that he actually got his start doing comedy. The lanky, loveable, anger-crazed man he plays in this film is absolutely hysterical. The chemistry between Robbins and Lawrence is what makes this film work. They both have a distinct form of comedy that you wouldn't expect to work as well as it does, but I can say without hesitation that this under the radar comedy is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a very long time.
June 3, 2013
While it has a few moments that seem to be lacking, 'Nothing to Lose' has many gut-busting moments and a likeable cast, making it a fun little madcap farce.
March 19, 2013
One of those completely forgettable mismatched buddy movies. I like Tim Robbins to a certain degree but Martin Lawrence has always sucked from awful TV show onward.
½ January 11, 2013
This is till one of my faves. It is sooo funny...I cry laughing everytime I watch it!
October 16, 2010
Nothing To Lose is a fantastic movie simply because of the struggle of Martin Lawrence's character T. Paul and the film's poignant revealing of T. Paul's history when Nick stays with T. Paul's family one night. The mushiness of the message is kept in check through and bolstered by the humor of the situation--T. Paul's mother is particularly memorable, threatening to kick both T. Paul's and Nick's asses. That two men from disparate origins could ultimately learn from each other, commit crime, and become friends is the urgent lesson this film offers.
October 31, 2012
A really funny movie that played to its actors strengths.
September 25, 2012
Love this movie! I watch this when I had a bad day.
September 10, 2012
I thought it the perfect pairing of Martin and Tim..they played really well off each other
Fave line: You must be really fast..
September 9, 2012
its my one of my favs
½ June 26, 2012
Re-watched this randomly last night for like the sixth time. It's still funny! Granted it had been quite a while since I'd last seen it, but that spider thing never gets old.