Hercules Reviews

½ December 28, 2010
It is irritating enough that they alter most of the original legend just for the sake of doing so, but the real problem here is that the jokes and pop references to modern times and American culture are far from smart and get tired fast, with the third act being a silly, unexciting mess.
May 21, 2010
"Hercules (1997)" is a very fun kids film that get's pretty dark and mysterious at times, and is also very bright and colourful family fun. Having all of these elements and being able to do them well is definitely an accomplishment, so just leave it to the team at Disney to do it. This film is ultimately about love and strength and both ideologies are represented very well here. Although the films premise dwindles from it's core every now and then, it still makes for a very entertaining and well-written Disney film. It is not among Disney's best, but it is one of the most fun. "Hercules (1997)" is a blast!
February 1, 2014
For some time the animated Disney films didn't really hit me with much inspiration, by that I mean none of their outings grabbed my attention, the ideas just didn't excite me. Then along came this adventure based around the magic of Greek mythology and I was hooked. An animated Disney version of Harryhausen's mythic visions? count me in. So off I went on the day of release back in 1997, Swiss Cottage Odeon, North London (for some reason I remember, probably because this Odeon was unusually HUGE!).

A simple tale of Hercules life from birth up to his teenage years. The loss of his immortality and God status at the hands of Hades, his young life as a mortal and how he manages to become a God again with the help of various friends in typical wide eyed Disney manner.

The two things that attracted me to this kiddie flick were 1. the Greek mythology as already said, and 2. the visuals on display. Disney seem to go through different styles over time and this films style is really nice in its stark angled way. It comes across like a Geddy Tartakovsky project, reminiscent of his 'Star Wars: Clone Wars' series but with less CGI and generally a bit softer in tone. The colour palette is really vibrant too, so rich and alive, its really beautiful to watch going from the warm pastel golds, yellows and beige of Mount Olympus and Thebes to dark shades of blues, purples and black of the underworld. Loved the underworld!, wanted more time down there.

Apart from the animation the characters are a big part of any film like this and would it be any surprise if I told you the bad guy was the best?. Yep its true, once again the villain shines through and in this case James Woods makes Hades a very likeable guy. Not only does he look really cool with a brilliant design and a virtually monochromatic colour scheme, he also has a really awesome flaming blue hairdo which is such a sweet touch. It is of course the deadpan sarcastic fiery verbal from Woods that he's famous for and he doesn't disappoint here...minus the profanity of course.

The only other character that stood out for me was Philoctetes perfectly voiced by De Vito, casting genius. In general the Gods all looked quite good visually but I was unsure about that heavenly glow they all had, I see what they were going for but it kinda looked tacky. The Titans were a tad cliche looking (dunno what I expected) and didn't blow me away, also a shame they used full CGI for the Hydra which looked awful. Not sure why Hercules was drawn the way he was because he looked a bit pug ugly to me, anyone notice how big his ears were?!. Also I didn't really like the little imp minions of Hades, typical stereotypical Disney sidekicks purely in there for silly laughs, oh wait its a kids flick isn't it...dang!.

Talking about the Hydra, not sure how that worked, Hercules was cutting off its heads one after another yet it kept on coming back for more. In the end some falling rocks killed it? even though it had its heads cut off multiple times?. On the same note, Hercules is suppose to have retained his super strength BUT he's mortal (watch the film), yet in the film he's still comes across as immortal even after that was drained from him.

All in all I did enjoy this Greek outing as I expected I would. Yeah sure its not perfect by any means, the animation is a wee bit dated now naturally but I can't complain about that really. The CGI moments were obvious and terrible...down to age again. I didn't like the soppy songs throughout, yeah I know its Disney but they really felt unnecessary and jammed in...plus they sucked!. I really think these lovey-dovey songs are no longer required for these type of films, its a very old fashioned concept which to be honest I'm glad is fading out...call me uncultured I guess. But I did quite like the little montage showing Hercules victories and his merchandise taking off, Air-Herc hehe nice touch.
michael e.
½ October 3, 2010
Now I know a lot of people are indifferent to this movie and either really love this movie or really hate it. Me personally I love it. For a couple reasons, first the villain, Hades is my favorite Disney villain ever and one of my alll time favorite villains, and that is mainly due to how James Woods plays him. He doesn't sound evil, I always thought he sounded like a lawyer or agent which I find kind of interesting. Next the animation, this film has probably the most colorful and interesting animation I've seen in a Disney film, which is understandable seeing how the animation was lead and handled by Gerald Scarfe who did the animation for Pink Floyd's the Wall and he does a fantastic job at doing this animation, my favorite being his design of the Hydra in the film. Also I really do enjoy the music and comedy in the film for as weird as the musical choice of Gospel is for a movie about ancient greece.
½ November 26, 2012
The film has aged surprisingly well. It is charming, fun, and can be watched over and over again. Highlights include the writing, and the songs "Go the Distance" and "I Won't Say I'm in Love."
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
Hercules isn't the best animated Disney film, but its still one of my favorites and is a good way to teach kids about Greek Gods, I learned a lot as kid from this movie at least.
½ September 6, 2010
Although there are a huge amount of inaccuracies in this adaptation of the classical mythological tale of Hercules, this movie is a lot of fun. It's hilarious and has a bunch of catchy tunes. Both kids and adults will love it.
jamers2011
½ February 12, 2011
A severely underrated film! Interesting story, fun characters, interesting characters (Meg), great music, humor, greek mythology...it truly has alot to offer, and it does not disappoint. Hercules is a great animated film, I'd recommend it to anyone.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!
½ May 30, 2011
This movie is such a delight. It's well-written, the characters are beautiful and gorgeously designed and the jokes deliver splendidly. I love how it pokes fun at all the early Disney animation myth tropes - Charlton Heston the narrator, gets interrupted before he can even finish his preamble spiel by five soul-inspired Muses. I think the thing I like most about this movie is Hades, voiced by James Woods and possibly the most engaging villain Disney animation has ever put on screen. He's got great motivation, the character design is eye-catching and his ad-lib-peppered vocal performance is one of a kind. Hercules and Megara as well don't quite fall into the trap of being one-dimensional stock characters which they easily could have; Hercules' naivety and heroism are believable and Meg's personality and character arc are much richer than you'd expect in a kids' movie. The only complaints I think I could raise are that some of the more soulful songs tend to drag and the story makes several departures from its Classical Greek source material. The latter wouldn't have bothered me so much if it weren't for the Muses' repeated refrain of "...and that's the Gospel truth".
½ May 17, 2011
If it weren't for the glorious stylization, beautiful color pallets and the best two supporting characters in Disney history (Hades & Meg) this movie would've just been a mess of Pop-humor and formulaic storytelling.

But alas, there's enough charm, wit and competent art direction to make this a worthy candidate of the Disney name.
½ June 13, 2006
Disney's take on the mythical tale of Hercules does take its usual liberties of course. That doesn't mean that we want to hear Soul music, right? So, some of the songs are a bit annoying, other's alright. The plot gets better as it develops and has some rather cruel and exciting action sequences to offer, considering the young target audience. That's pretty entertaining but not as engaging as Mulan or The Hunchback for example. The film's biggest asset is the ambiguous and interesting Meg, not exactly your typical Disney princess. Kids should still have a lot of fun with this, of course.
3niR
½ October 30, 2010
Great animation. It's funny. I loved the game too.
MANUGINO
½ July 8, 2009
Pretty good Disney flick! Hercules was the man!

Based on both the legend of Hercules and Heracles.

On Mt Olympus, Zeus and his wife are celebrating the birth of their son, Hercules. The Lord of the Underworld, Hades, is also invited, though is not at all pleased with the birth of Hercules.

Returning to the Underworld, Hades meets up with the 3 Fates, who tell Hades that in 18 years, when the planets align, if he unleashes the Titans (who were imprisoned by Zeus), he will defeat Zeus and rule over all. However, there is a possibility that Hercules could stop him.

Hades assigns his minions, Pain and Panic, to turn hercules mortal, and kill him. Armed with a potion, the two kidnap Hercules, and take him to Earth. Hercules drinks almost every drop except one, when a childless couple disturbs the two minions' plan. The two decide to tell Hades that they killed Hercules, but figure leaving him on Earth as a mortal will keep him from interfering in Hades' eventual plot.

As Hercules is almost completely mortal, he cannot return to Mt Olympus. However, the childless couple have taken him in, and raise him as their own. However, not being completely mortal, Hercules is ostracized from the rest of society by his immense strength. As he approaches his teenage years, his father tells of how they found him, with a medallion bearing the symbol of the gods.

Hercules sets off for the Temple of Zeus to find answers. Once inside the temple, the enormous statue of Zeus comes to life, first scaring Hercules, but then explaining how he is the young boy's father. Zeus then explains that if Hercules can become a True Hero, he'll be able to return to My Olympus and rejoin them. Zeus then provides Hercules with a winged horse named Pegasus, and sends them off to find Philoctetes.

Hercules and Pegasus find Philoctetes (who is nicknamed 'Phil') on a deserted island. Having become a grouchy, old satyr, Phil is at first reluctant, but finally relents. After an intense period of training, Hercules grows from a scrawny teenager to a buff young man. At Hercules' insistence to try what he has learned, Phil, Hercules and Pegasus head for the city of Thebes, which is plagued by a number of disasters and problems.

On the way there, they are sidetracked by Meg, who appears to be menaced by a centaur. Hercules grows somewhat enchanted with her, before Phil gets them back on track to Thebes. After they leave, Meg meets with Hades, and his assistants, Pain and Panic. Meg was actually trying to get the centaur to side with Hades, but claims Hercules spoiled her plans. Upon hearing this, Hades angrily grabs his assistants, realizing they have lied to him. Pain and Panic manage to convince Hades that since Hercules is mortal, they can still kill him.

In Thebes, Hercules tries to convince the citizens that he is a hero, but noone is willing to believe him. Suddenly, Meg appears, and tells of two small boys trapped under a rock in a nearby canyon. Hercules saves the little boys (actually Pain and Panic in disguise), but then has to contend with the 3-headed beast called the Hydra. After finding out that cutting off one head produces 3 more, Hercules ends up crushing the beast with a rock slide. The defeat of the Hydra causes the citizens of Thebes to acknowledge Hercules as a hero, and further anger Hades.

Hades continues to send beasts and creature against Hercules, but each and everyone is defeated, further making Hercules a hero in the eyes of the citizens. Statues and merchandise are soon rampant with Hercules' face, and Hercules thinks that his fame will allow him to return to Mt Olympus. However, upon visiting the Temple of Zeus again, Zeus explains to Hercules that fame does not equal heroism. When Hercules asks to know what he can do, Zeus refuses to explain further.

Back in Thebes, the conversation has upset Hercules, who wonders if he even has what it takes to be a hero. While in his home, Meg appears, and gets Hercules to come with her for an evening rendezvous. However, Meg's intentions are to secretly find Hercules' weakness, but as the night goes on, she begins to find him charming. The mood is broken when Phil and Pegasus show up to take Hercules home. During the flight away, Phil ends up getting hit by a tree, and falls off Pegasus. When he comes to, he sees Meg talking to Hades, with their conversation sounding as if Meg has been two-timing Hercules. In truth, Meg refuses to go along with Hades plan, claiming that Hercules has no weakness...which leads Hades to believe that she IS that weakness.

Back at Thebes Stadium, Phil tries to convince Hercules of what he saw, but Hercules angrily hits Phil. Phil, hurt by his protege's backlash, gets up and leaves. Once Phil is gone, Hades appears, and offers Hercules an ultimatum: if Hercules gives up his powers for 24 hours, Hades will allow Meg to go free, with the provision that the deal will be voided if any harm comes to her. Hercules goes through with the deal, only to have Hades then tell Hercules how Meg was working for him. Now drained of his strength, Hercules can only watch as Hades lets loose the Titans that Zeus had imprisoned years earlier.

Hades sends a giant cyclops to Thebes to destroy the City. Even though Hercules is drained of his strength, he still tries to stop the creature. Fearing that he'll be killed, Meg and Pegasus find Phil, who they convince to return and help his student. With Phil's help and some ingenuity, Hercules ends up blinding and finishing off the cyclops, but in the process, Meg is gravely injured.

Her injury causes Hades' deal to expire, and Hercules receives his strength back. With Phil watching over Meg, Hercules and Pegasus fly to Mt Olympus, where the Titans have all but over-powered Zeus and the other gods. Hercules helps turn the tide of battle, and ends up taking care of the Titans, and Hades angrily retreats to the Underworld.

When Hercules returns to Thebes, Phil reveals that Meg has died. Upset by this, Hercues descends into the Underworld to get her back. Hercules makes a deal with Hades, that he will take Meg's place if he rescues her from the River of Death. Hades accepts the deal, sure that Hercules will die before he can save her.

It seems Hercules will die, but upon reaching Meg, he suddenly begins to glow yellow, having achieved god status by risking his life to save her. Hercules manages to get Meg out of the River of Death, much to Hades ranting and protestations, several of which cause Hercules to send him flying into the river, where the dead attempt to drown him.

Hercules, Pegasus, Phil and Meg then fly to Mt Olympus where the gods are waiting to welcome Hercules back, now that he has become a 'True Hero.' However, Hercules chooses to stay on Earth, but still be able to visit his family.

The film ends as one of the gods creates a constellation in the sky of Hercules, making Phil swell with pride that he was able to train a legend and a god.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
This is neither the best nor the worst traditionally animated film from Disney. In fact, ipicking the best stuff is easy. Picking the worst-mediocre stuff is a challenge, especially considering how damn good Disney's track record was/is.

From what I rmember, this takes liberties with the myth, but it's still pretty fun and entertaining. It's got a good voice cast too, and the look and style are also quite appealing. As far as the specific plot goes (considering I don't remember much of it or the myth), I don't recall much except for lots of action, lots of humor, some good songs, and an awesome fight with the hydra. In fact, I think that's the one thing I rememebr most of all about this, and even that is kinda fuzzy.

Oh well, I'm rambling, and this isn't really thatr good or informative of a review, but I'm sure it's entertaining. Enjoy!
January 13, 2010
This has always been one of my favorite animated disney movies, mainly due to the fact that it has such an amazing style and take on the character. It's Disney on an extremely grand scale. Sure there's some weird musical numbers and corny moments, but it surprisingly doesn't ruin the viewing experience. The voice talents are great, the atmosphere is unmatched and it makes you feel like a hero after it's over. I love the small little odd touches like Hades speaking in Yiddish and Phil being a ladies man/goat.
½ July 23, 2010
i hate this movie. F
erika250
March 19, 2010
good plot. good kids film.
ScoopOnline
December 2, 2009
Heil Disney Movies!
TomBowler
½ August 2, 2009
an animated look into greek mythology. oh joy