Bliss

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Bliss Reviews

August 17, 2013
I think this was one of the most sensitive and accurate movies about what it's like for sexually abused women in a committed relationship. I loved the female perspective
November 9, 2011
This was a weird one to watch, as it takes a bizarro approach to a couple who are unable to connect sexually, essentially asking the husband in a relationship to open himself up to the most invasive forms of therapy, which involves Terence Stamp pleasuring his wife and eventually teaching him how to do this himself.

It all feels a lot like a glorified Cinemax sex thriller, with more love trappings laid over the sex framework to punch it up a bit.

Worth a look for some hot Sheryl Lee action, but not a lot else in my opinion.
divinetrash
divinetrash

November 4, 2009
I love Sheryl Lee, but I found this film to be dreadful. It's ridiculous, laughable and poorly executed. Everything about it is a joke.
onlyme6000
September 22, 2009
Why would a sex therapist who foresaw the effect teach her husband to do on her one thing that she'll hate?
devawhispers
March 13, 2009
Beautiful movie Terrance Stamp is great in this.
firestoneeyes
July 6, 2008
Tastefully erotic, but, moreso, makes you think about physical intimacy and how it is so much a part of a relationship. Men should watch this movie for it's insight into women....!!
YuMMieGUrl
April 25, 2008
This movie has stayed in my thoughts since the night I watched it..Even days later I'm still upset for the abuse the woman Maria suffered. SAD
June 13, 2007
"Bliss" is fresh in that the actors are unknowns. Canadian movies usually always have that element. Also, the story takes significant risks by discussing sensitive aspects of psychology in looking at the sexually dysfunctional relationship between a newly married couple.

The movie begins with Joseph and Maria heading off to their wedding. Clues are given about how the movie's going to go, which ultimately makes the story compromising and as a result, superficial.

Joseph's best friend Tanner (Casey Seimazako) plays the typical dumb guy, reassuring, best friend: "all women are suicidal from time to time."

Joseph realizes in therapy that his wife Maria fakes orgasms. This of course makes him insecure. When Joseeph, a construction project manager, observes her from a construction site walking into a building where his fellow buddies discovered a "man who sexually pleases 4 to 6 women a day one after another" (word has it he "pleases every one of them."), he obviously goes into a jealous rage.

When he realizes this male sex machine is Dr. Baltazar, a sex therapist, he decides that he loves his wife so much that he confides Dr. Baltazar into "mentoring him" into being some kind of super lover.

Not too convincing right? Maybe so, but there are elements of this movie I like. The visuals are sharp, concise, and fresh. The writing is thought provoking, but, the direction of the acting is horrid. Craig Sheffer, who plays Joseph, is a horrible actor. Despite his manly frame and great looks, he is the most unsexy human being on the planet exhibiting a dry, robotic kind of personality.

His wife, played by Sheryl Lee is a little bit more convincing. Her soliloquy at the group session was fairly believeable.

The main problem I have with this movie is the scientific dryness of how it delves into relationship dynamics. It attempts to pacify the human spirit with cerebral assumptions of how a human mind works.

Although the sensuality is tastefully shown in this movie, the story's attempt at quantifying sexual bliss is to me is perverted (in an sexual sense) and belittling and patronizing to humanity.
February 12, 2008
Erotical but a really stupid movie....a glimpse of how missleadiing and waste of time this movie watching could be. i wont recommend it to anyone. this movie is filled with bogus ideas of how someone who suffered with sexual abuse could recover from some kind of truma and that could be only possible through some sort of sexual teraphy?
January 28, 2008
Esta pe es de esas que pensé no me iba a gustar tanto pero sí, está muy bonita.
goodfella2459
July 9, 2007
I remember Sheryl Lee talking about Bliss in an interview, & I checked it out. Reading Roger Ebert's review gave me the motivation to see it, & it was well worth it. I loved this film & the acting. The subject matter was a bit uncomfortable to me, however, the performances from the cast were amazing. The characters were very well witten, so they were more human, rather than cardboard cutouts you see in most romance/love sort of films.
cho9138
June 19, 2007
A movie which can bring realization that married life is not always blissful... Unresolve problems of the past can surface in any pace of marriage and the best thing to do is to ask for help to professionals that may enlighten us that a blissful life is not the one without problems, but the one with hardships, pains and shortcomings yet your partner is still willing to take your hand and embraces you for who you are and what you are made of.
April 22, 2007
this is a gem - not many people know of it, but if you wanna see psychological figurisation surreally presented, this one's for you
April 8, 2007
Joseph and Maria are married for six months and Maria still has never had an orgasm with her husband. They begin to visit mysterious doctor Baltazar who teaches them how to reach ecstasy in sex.
rahasya
March 14, 2007
A worthwhile portrayal of the damage of fairly usual childhood abuse, the healing work of first-stage Tantra, Sexual Healing.
December 29, 2006
A Glorious movie about marriage and tantric sex...and this is before I even knew what tantric sex was! I'm still not quite sure about marriage...
kingjames31
September 11, 2006
A little pretentious, A movie that gives a good message about marriage, but who's listening?
anandda
August 28, 2006
UNa pelicula interesante, que trata sobre una problematica de una mujer, pero dsobre todoexplica el Tantra Yoga.
June 14, 2006
This movie has some great themes about healing and how to achieve happiness. Terrence Stamp is beyond amazing. He is charming and amazing. The movie does not get alot of points for climaxes
(haha go figure) or good resolution. But it tries the bestit can and does a good job.