The Man in the Iron Mask Reviews

July 7, 2007
I love period dramas with a great cast. King Louis XIV of France is a cruel ruler, who oppresses his people and is a womaniser. He has a secret twin brother whom he has hidden away and is covered by an iron mask. One of my faves - double Leo! The ending always makes me cry.
April 26, 2009
The Man in the Iron Mask is a tale of a the Musketeers who must reunite to capture the evil King Louis XIV and replace him with his much kinder, but unknown, twin who has been unjustly locked away in the dungeons. I am not a fan of Leonerdo DiCrapio. Yes I spelt that wrong on purpose. I think he's too cocky and thinks his shit don't stink. So excuse me while I don't flutter at the sight of him. I've seen better performances from all these actors. DiCrapio included. So the reason I gave it three stars is because I did enjoy the story. It was interesting and it played out well enough.
½ March 26, 2007
While DiCaprio can be a fine actor and an arresting presence, that is not the case here. He is completely miscast, his nasally voice grating and at the point in his career when this was made he didn't have the gravitas to hold the dual roles at center stage. Malkovich is similiarly out of place not in any way suggesting anything remotely contentenial in his bearing and since the rest of the cast that surrounds them are all European the casting of those two is fatal to the picture's unity and flow.
December 12, 2010
At first I wasn't quite convinced by Leo's acting, I played it off by his youth and the fact that he did this after being directed by Cameron. James wouldn't care about good acting if it hit him in the face. However this was resolved when he became Philippe.
Overall, the movie was okay. I'm not sure I appreciated the few comedic gags in there, but what gives this movie an extra overall boost was the acting. Beautifully done. Even if for whatever reason, Dicaprio and Malkovich did not see fit to attempt British accents.
November 28, 2008
Great Movie! I'm trying to watch every Leonardo DiCaprio movie there ever is and this was great also, he's such a great actor and in this movie he portrays 2 different characters with magnificent skill in both. Great Story and screenplay.

n 1638 Queen Anne of France gives Birth to a boy, who will inherit the throne one day. But, only known to few, there is a twin brother born minutes later. 22 years later, King Louis XIV rules the country of France, but due to his lifestyle and the costs of war, people are forced to suffer hunger and poverty. Of the Musketeers, who had served his father Louis XIII faithfully, only one is still on the king's side: D'Artagnan, the Capitain of the king's guards. His three companions Aramis, Athos and Porthos have retired into civil life long ago. One day on a royal party, the young and unliked king gets a crush on Christine. This young lady is the fiancé of soldier Raoul, the son of Athos. Without further ado, the king has Raoul recruited and sent to war, so that he himself can take care of her. Soon Raoul dies in combat and the king has him out of the way. But Athos, Aramis and Porthos think of a plan to take revenge on the king. Aramis points out that there is a man in an iron mask in a very secure prison, and that this man's existance can solve all present problems. So they free the king's hidden twin brother, and tell him who he is, as he of course feels free of guilt and has no idea whatsoever why he was imprisoned for 6 years with this mask forged around his head. The plan now is to replace the evil king with his brother at a masquerade party held soon. Only D'Artagnan still is guarding the king and so he has to turn against his old friends...
April 12, 2007
When a movie starts off with Gérard Depardieu breaking wind, it doesn't bode well for the quality of the script. I mean, it's not exactly what you'd call a classy character introduction. Sadly, it's not a one-time mistake, as there are more instances where it goes silly like this. Another example being a scene (yet again with Depardieu) in which a bird drops a nasty surprise on his hat. That type of humor felt very misplaced here. It's like the film suffers from a case of light schizophrenia. At times it doesn't know whether to be a tasteful costume drama or a lighthearted farce. It's all a bit off balance. The careless blend of accents didn't make for a very plausible story either. On a positive note though, it is fairly entertaining. There's good chemistry within the cast and the story, despite its flaws, was interesting to follow. So if you're willing to overlook all the cheese and sloppiness, it is without doubt an enjoyable watch. Just not something I'd be eager to see again.
½ July 13, 2010
The Man In The Iron Mask is an amusing, yet flawed adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' famous novel of the same name. This is a watered down version of Dumas' story. Despite this, this is a fun film to watch time, and time again. it' very entertaining and amusing. The cast does a pretty good job, and Leonardo Dicaprio displays early signs of his acting abilituies (he quickly honed his craft with Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg) Though a flawed film, this is still pretty entertaining, and amusing. The look of the film is very well done as well, and the sets and costumes are very elaborate. Director Randall Wallace (who wrote the script to Braveheart) directs and displays good directorial skills, he should make more films. To sumarrize, if you want an action period film thats lots of fun, this is one film to check out.
½ November 19, 2009
A horrible movie with an excellent cast. That being said, even the cast had horrible acting in this film. It is a ridiculous attempt at making a sequel to the Three Musketeers, being a loose translation at best of Alexandre Dumas' Vicomte of Bragelonne.
September 19, 2006
Grand entertainment pleasure. Swift, fun and very exciting. The cast is excellent. It's wickedly funny and action-packed. A classic film adventure. An absolutely enjoyable and pleasently entertaining movie you cant get enough of. Brilliant performances by the enyire group. Leonardo DiCaprio is sensational. John Malkovich, Gerard Depardieu and Jeremy Irons are teriffic. Gabriel Byrne is marvelous.
September 28, 2007
been a while.
August 25, 2007
Leonardo DiCaprio's first role after Titanic. The story's OK, but the four Musketeers do a better job that Leonardo.
½ June 24, 2007
Very well made movie, very interesting. Despite Malkovich's laughable performance, DiCaprio and Byrne are top-notch.
½ July 5, 2007
This is a great movie if you can get past the twisted,sad storyline.
May 6, 2007
Gawd awful. Flixsters, you know how DiCaprio's accent comes and goes in Blood Diamond? Well, the hodgepodge of accents in this piece of borat, makes me wonder how hard I should be laughing as I watch it. You know how I've acknowledged non-American actors who take the time to perfect their American accents when they do movies requiring that, right? Well, laughing also takes effort, so I'm not sure it's even worth the effort to laugh at this thing. You know what's even more interesting? DiCaprio's American accent isn't even all that convincing here. Is that pathetic or what? My mantra of the moment: Never be afraid to cast French actors is films set in France. People will read subtitles if the film is worth watching. Contractions are used in real speech. Contractions were good enough for Shakespeare. Never be afraid to say you're instead of you are. Never be afraid to say isn't instead of is not. Never be afraid to say I'm instead of I am. Never be afraid to say it's instead of it is or it has. Think of the real world and the way real people speak.
½ November 16, 2006
I quite enjoyed this; it owes a lot more to Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers than Braveheart, and the supporting cast is very strong. So strong that poor old Leo comes out of it looking very lame indeed. But not as lame as Judith Godreche, who is awful!
December 27, 2006
Good musketteers movie.
November 12, 2006
This is a stunning film of intrigue, danger, action and romance.
½ December 9, 2013
"One for all, all for one." The legend of the Three Musketeers continues in Randall Wallace's The Man in the Iron Mask. With France on the brink of revolution Aramis, Athos, and Porthos reunite to replace the king by restoring the birth right of his twin brother, who's been secretly exiled. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, and Gabriel Byrne, the casting is especially strong. However, the performances are fairly mediocre, and the dialog is pretty cheesy. Still, the fight sequences are shot quite well and bring a lot of energy and excitement to the film. Additionally, the score and set designs help create an epic feel. The Man in the Iron Mask has some flaws, but delivers a thrilling adventure.
October 24, 2012
Randal Wallace was a much better writer than director. Granted, this was his first film, but one would expect and hope a 3 Musketeers film to have more...punch.
Cameron W. Johnson
November 17, 2010
While very historically inaccurate, underdeveloped, fairly inappropriate in its comic relief mostly, slow at points, hard to follow at points and suffering from a deal of other problems, it is entertaining, engaging, well-acted by a fair deal of cast members, holds good dialogue, (Okay, it is pretty bad at points, I confess) good action sequences and has a very good deal of other pros. Ultimately, the story is bogus, but it sure does make for a pretty good movie. No, but seriously, I did have fun with it and while I can see why it doesn't sit well with a good deal of people, it is can still be seen as a fairly entertaining watch.