Nightwatch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nightwatch Reviews

September 22, 2012
If they would have just stuck to the Ewan McGregor being scared at work premise, this movie would have been so much better...cuz that was fantastic, scary, and funny! Unfortunately, they decided to try to add a strange storyline with Nick Nolte. Not a good decision...
sanjurosamurai
½ December 4, 2007
this movie wasnt memorable but it was interesting and had a strong cast.
March 25, 2007
After a little bit of a slow start comes a film that is dark and slightly eerie. A really enjoyable watch.

I'm not really a fan of stars taking on new accents unless it's done really well, I think you could still hear the Scottish in Ewan's voice, apart from that, I enjoyed his performance.
April 29, 2007
A beautiful, if sprawling, and cinematically unique (artistic use of subtitles, especially) urban fantasy epic.

The story seems to inflate to an unweildly size, but this is often a symptom of a movie taken from a book. Thankfully, this sense of sprawl manages to give a sense of depth, and not a sense of unexamined and cursory detail.

A dose of originality in a genre which usually accepts tried-and-true formulae.
½ April 1, 2007
At first I was disappointed when I discovered the lack of supernatural elements in the plot, but the film is very engaging - perhaps because Ewan McGregor's character is such an everyman, you empathise with him.
January 22, 2012
Nightwatch offers some creepy moments, and is appropriately atmospheric, but suffers from an ill-conceived plot. There's too many cliches, and not enough originality. Still, the cast and generally effective direction keeps it interesting enough, though not particularly memorable.

3/5 Stars
½ June 19, 2007
Awww. This is not the Russian "Night Watch." Bummer.
John2223
June 5, 2007
Remade by the same director of the original. This remake has almost the same story with a better narrative than the original and a bit less predictable. Though the improvements didn't make it a great movie it is still a pretty decent movie with some atmospheric moments and gore.
jim222001us
½ August 7, 2007
It has it's goofy moments and I'm not strongly recommending it. But I do think that Josh Brolin at least does fine work in what's otherwise not really a good movie.
March 29, 2007
High expectations. Nightwatch didn't live up to them.
FanGirl
½ March 25, 2007
See DNA doesn't always prove who's dunit.
February 26, 2006
The Danish original is great, the remake unfortunately can't quite compare. If you haven't seen Bornedal's 1994 version, you'll enjoy this as a good horror/suspense film. If you have a chance, check out the original, which is much edgier.
April 1, 2016
He takes their eyes.

A law student takes a new night watchman position at a mortuary. Unfortunately for him, a new serial killer arrives that increases the activity in the area. He accidentally begins traveling in the same circle as the killer when his friend befriends a prostitute that may have a connection to the killer. The watchman may find himself as a target of the killer.

"Have you ever been killed before?"

Ole Bornedal, director of The Substitute, The Possession, Deliver us from Evil, Just Another Love Story, and episodes from the television series 1864, delivers Nightwatch. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and fun to watch unfold. The acting was very solid and the cast includes Ewan McGregor, Nick Nolte, Josh Brolin, and Patrcia Arquette.

"Do something or I'll take your girlfriend's eyes."

I came across this on Netflix and had to watch it. I had never heard of this movie and found it worth a viewing. There were some awkward moments that I think could have been better executed; however, I do recommend seeing this once.

"You fucked a prostitute?"

Grade: C+
½ January 6, 2014
A little choppy and disjointed. The way the killer is revealed is complete disappointment! Other than that, this is a creepy psychological thriller. My wife won't watch it again. Great for a late night chiller.
January 5, 2013
Somewhat of a good atmosphere with Ewan McGregor keeping a close eye as a late night watchman gets lamed down by a killer on the loose-who is the killer? plot line. Normally I like the type of movies where a group of people are potential killers but this really did nothing for me. It doesn't suck completely and may be ok if you stumble on it but it is hardly memorable.
April 1, 2012
Ooooooooh, spooky!... Not really.

Not exactly what I was expecting to see.

The Story: A young man takes a job in a medical examiners building as a night watchmen, and is framed with for the death of several prostitutes. It's a decent who-done-it, but it's a little cliche and at times predictable, I blame a weak script. It looks good, it's got a good eerie style and some good cinematography, and it even moves at a pretty quick pace, but it's nothing to write home about. Makes for a decent rental if you can't find anything else.

The Cast: Ewan McGregor, Nick Nolte... Ewan McGregor is Martin Bells, he's the young man that gets the job as a night watchmen. He doesn't do a great job here, and it's not his best role, but every once in a while he pulls off some good acting. Nick Nolte is Inspector Thomas Albert Cray... Well... He's... Not all that great here, he's the best in the film, but that's just not saying much. Maybe it's because I just watched him Cape Fear the other night and this one seems like a big step down from that performance. When all is said and done, this cast could have used a little more work. Everyone here could be replaced by numerous other actors and get the same affect. In other words, even though they have good backgrounds, they just come off as generic here.

One to Five Scale: 2

I sat down thinking I was going to see a good scary supernatural thriller, I thought wrong. It's bad acting, and predictable story, can't be helped by a style that's hardly above par.

Tyler
March 26, 2012
I don't know why this got low reviews....I loved this movie! It kept me wondering and on the edge of my seat. Wish I had seen this one in a theatre.
December 30, 2011
Amazing, top notch thriller. Really enjoyed it & Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte & Patricia Arquette's acting was amazing.
½ August 7, 2010
With a cast featuring such talent as Ewan McGregor, Nick Nolte, and Josh Brolin, among others, one might expect Nightwatch to be worth a rental... and that person would be dead wrong. A hideous film - disjointed, unscary, and pitifully inept - Nightwatch, for those of us unfortunate enough to have seen it (admittedly a minute bunch) is worthy only of immediate mental deletion, which, thankfully, requires much less effort than one might initially assume, seeing how completely disposable every image contained within these lost 100 minutes are. One of the worst films I've ever seen. *NOTE* Rant has officially concluded.