Nightwatch Reviews

September 22, 2012
If they would have just stuck to the Ewan McGregor being scared at work premise, this movie would have been so much better...cuz that was fantastic, scary, and funny! Unfortunately, they decided to try to add a strange storyline with Nick Nolte. Not a good decision...
sanjurosamurai
½ December 4, 2007
this movie wasnt memorable but it was interesting and had a strong cast.
March 25, 2007
After a little bit of a slow start comes a film that is dark and slightly eerie. A really enjoyable watch.

I'm not really a fan of stars taking on new accents unless it's done really well, I think you could still hear the Scottish in Ewan's voice, apart from that, I enjoyed his performance.
April 29, 2007
A beautiful, if sprawling, and cinematically unique (artistic use of subtitles, especially) urban fantasy epic.

The story seems to inflate to an unweildly size, but this is often a symptom of a movie taken from a book. Thankfully, this sense of sprawl manages to give a sense of depth, and not a sense of unexamined and cursory detail.

A dose of originality in a genre which usually accepts tried-and-true formulae.
½ April 1, 2007
At first I was disappointed when I discovered the lack of supernatural elements in the plot, but the film is very engaging - perhaps because Ewan McGregor's character is such an everyman, you empathise with him.
January 22, 2012
Nightwatch offers some creepy moments, and is appropriately atmospheric, but suffers from an ill-conceived plot. There's too many cliches, and not enough originality. Still, the cast and generally effective direction keeps it interesting enough, though not particularly memorable.

3/5 Stars
½ June 19, 2007
Awww. This is not the Russian "Night Watch." Bummer.
John2223
June 5, 2007
Remade by the same director of the original. This remake has almost the same story with a better narrative than the original and a bit less predictable. Though the improvements didn't make it a great movie it is still a pretty decent movie with some atmospheric moments and gore.
jim222001us
½ August 7, 2007
It has it's goofy moments and I'm not strongly recommending it. But I do think that Josh Brolin at least does fine work in what's otherwise not really a good movie.
March 29, 2007
High expectations. Nightwatch didn't live up to them.
FanGirl
½ March 25, 2007
See DNA doesn't always prove who's dunit.
February 26, 2006
The Danish original is great, the remake unfortunately can't quite compare. If you haven't seen Bornedal's 1994 version, you'll enjoy this as a good horror/suspense film. If you have a chance, check out the original, which is much edgier.
January 5, 2013
Somewhat of a good atmosphere with Ewan McGregor keeping a close eye as a late night watchman gets lamed down by a killer on the loose-who is the killer? plot line. Normally I like the type of movies where a group of people are potential killers but this really did nothing for me. It doesn't suck completely and may be ok if you stumble on it but it is hardly memorable.
December 30, 2011
Amazing, top notch thriller. Really enjoyed it & Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte & Patricia Arquette's acting was amazing.
½ January 20, 2010
MsNightwatch has good taste. A well filmed interpretation of a sinister underworld unleashed in modern day. A captivating action/adventure storyline which was not neccessarily held back by the language barrier, but was amplified
June 19, 2008
Thrilling suspect movie. Nice begining, but from the middle of the movie 'till the end something went wrong...
½ January 6, 2008
I'm a huge fan of this movie. This and Ravenous hold a special place in my heart as my favorite not great but good movies.
December 21, 2007
This one came out in '98, I believe that's six years before Saw. I'm not trying to compare the two, because Saw seems a bit more complex; however, the key scenes in both movies are eerily the same.

I actually had fun watching this movie. It didn't have the strongest story, and the acting is hit and miss, but the way it unfolds, the shot selection, and the overly plucked strings of anticipated and impending doom, worked well for me.

Bottom-line, I was entertained. If you're into psychological/horror-thrillers, give this one a shot.
½ July 26, 2007
This movie rocked. I watched it in the middle of the night alone and it scard the crap out of me I couldn't fall asleep i was so scared. It is one of my overall favorite movies