Men With Guns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Men With Guns Reviews

½ January 19, 2011
One of John Sayles' best films that even many of his fans haven't seen.
May 28, 2012
Wrong Movie info for Men with Guns
January 19, 2012
Another Sayles masterpiece. Where did that guy go anyways? I realize that the quality of his films has deteriorated but surely he has more stories to tell us?
June 19, 2008
nominated for best foreign film by NBR and at the golden globes
½ June 14, 2010
Excellent Sayles film about government and violence clashing with the lives of the people. The single character going back to try and find the students he sent into the wild to doctor the locals is a perfect frame to drop in other elements along the journey. Sayles' character development and direction is so very good as a viewer you know each new character will be a new journey in itself.
bbcfloridabound
½ June 13, 2009
This was my first John Sayles film that I am aware of. It came from my list of Films from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival and as I have said in each review of a film from that list, they have yet to show a bad film. I am told that Sayles is a Independent American Filmmaker and he proves it in this film. A film in Spanish language with English Subtitles. A story of a Doctor in a Latin American Country who goes on a search for his students that he trained years before, they are spread out in the rain forest. The students he finds out have been killed over the years by soldiers or guerrillas, bandits or thieves, all of who are Men With Guns. The cast is unheard of by most Americans, but neither the subtitles nor the cast take away from the movie. 4 1/2 stars I have to give this one.
Hellshocked
February 5, 2007
To the innocent bystander, the poverty stricken populance caught in the middle of a revolution/civil war/coup d'etat, there is no difference between the dictators and the democrats, the fascists and the socialists, the military and the paramilitary, no heroes and no villains. There are only the men with guns and themselves, and the men with guns always get what they want.

This rarely shown side of armed conflict is at the heart of this brave film, which dares to empathize without preaching. The film is as simple as its title, and no less profound for it.

Shot entirely in spanish (as opposed to entirely in english with the cast donning 'spanglish' accents, thank you) and taking place in a purposefully unnamed country, it is structured like a road movie whose ultimate destination is a mythical utopic town in the jungle.

So rarely has a film captured the spirit or the reality of Latin America, and the fact that this one, directed by a man from Boston, managed to do both, brings hope.
February 6, 2009
Powerfulll.
Great characters
BUT I WAS EXPECTING MORE FROM THIS ONE.
June 27, 2008
I saw this film once, on cable, completely unaware of who John Sayles was, and initially unsure if I wanted to watch something which sounded so didactic, but what I found was one of the most comelling dramas I had ever seen.
The story follows a wealthy doctor from a lush unnamed city in a fictional South American country(but its filmed in Mexico), on his journey through the country side, as part of his retirement, he is going to first visit those doctors whom he trained that went on to work in poor villages. Out of the comfort of the city comes the violence of rural areas, crimes and horrors perperated not by the government or the rebels, but in the eyes of the many villagers who recount the tales, by "The Men With Guns". A journey of dissillusionment and story of complacency, action, and meaning, "Men With Guns" is a movie which doesn't seem particularly appealing but which sidewinds viewers with it's suprising literate dialogue and plotting and lush visuals of South American countryside. Men With Guns is a political allegory that sneaks up on you with it's emotional impact and gripping humanism. I don't normally like to use to the word "moving" when refering to a work of art, because it makes me think of heavy lifting and boxes, but this movie was just, that, and having only seen it once after many years, it still comes back to me, particularly when I hear the daily body counts from any of the numerous war zones, patronized by the night news.
½ December 1, 2007
The script feels a bit sloppy, the film is too long, the ideas are too straight forward. Still, like any John Sayles film it has its magic.
½ June 13, 2008
2 words F@#$ing awesome
May 22, 2008
May 14, 2008
Even Mandy Patinkin is good in this John Sayles masterpiece.
½ April 5, 2008
Very affecting story, told in an allegorical way yet with a sympathetic eye to those billions in the world at the mercy of these men with guns. Timeless.
April 11, 2008
½ March 9, 2008
The subject matter is inherently compelling, and Sayles does justice to it. I can't think of another American film that illustrates Latin American structural violence so vividly without turning didactic. Beautiful.
March 6, 2008
Estrellita de oro!
It's like reading Harry Potter. I want to do it over and over again because I know there are still a billion brilliant allusions that I haven't gotten yet.
January 30, 2008
Very interesting film from the great John Sayles. Shot mostly in Spanish this is a great character study that as you watch it you sink completely into the movies world. It was cool how Sayles added Patinkin in there to jolt you out of it for a minute, just to remind you that you were hypnotized.