The Mark of Zorro Reviews

May 6, 2015
Rollicking action movie.

Not quite the original Zorro - there were a few Zorro movies before this - but probably the best.

Decent, simple plot. Writer and director don't try to make things too complicated. It's pretty much Robin Hood set in early-1800s California. Consistent with this, doesn't overstay its welcome.

Good action scenes. Some of the fencing contests are among the best you'll see in a movie.

Good performances. Tyrone Power gives a solid, suitably dashing, performance as Zorro, while also having to act the dandy for his unmasked other life.

Nothing more than an action-drama though - don't expect anything too profound.
March 19, 2013
A fun and humorous swashbuckling good time.
½ November 14, 2014
the best Zorro movie out there. This has survived the test of time.
April 11, 2013
Featuring one of the best swordfights on celluloid between Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone.
October 18, 2014
very good film. Tyrone Powers played a great Zorro. this film is easy a classic.
½ September 9, 2014
A classic swashbuckling film and probably the best Zorro picture I've seen; Tyrone Power is at home in his role and, as films aren't made this way anymore, it's always a breath of fresh air to watch.
August 21, 2014
This Quintessential Alternative Take On A Swashbuckling Film, Is A Must See For Fans Of Historical Swordplay Films. Everything Is Perfect In This Movie, Of Course Their Is Probably Some Flaws I Never Picked Up On But All Round An Excellent Film. Regarded As The Best Zorro Flick, This Remake See's Tyrone Power Take The Title Role, Starring Alongside Power, Is Linda Darnell, Basil Rathbone, Gale Sondergaard & Eugene Pallette. All Actors Give Excellent Performances & The Action Sequences Are Extremely Well Choreographed. This Is A Fun Flick In Which Both Fans Of Cinema In General & Classics Should View.
June 23, 2014
A good old-fashioned enjoyable film.
April 23, 2014
wow ummmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that tyrone power (.R.I.P.), linda darnell (.R.I.P.), basil rathbone (.R.I.P.), gale sondergaard (.R.I.P.), eugene pallette (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....i think that the director of this action/adventure/classics movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......its got good sword fighting scenes throughout this movie........its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......i think that this is such a cults classics movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch........i think that tyrone powers was brilliant throughout this movie as the hero zorro thorughout this movie.......i think that basil rathbone was brilliant throughout this movie as the bad guy throughout this movie........its got good fight scenes thorughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......its got good sword fighting scenes thorughout this movie.......i think that this is such a cult classics movie 2 watch its such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its such a really well directed movie its got good fight scenes thorughout this movie its such an enjoyable classics movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie its such a classics movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.......
½ January 13, 2014
This is a truly romantic adventure story. Bravo!
October 2, 2010
One of the greatest movies ever made.
November 17, 2013
You handle a sword like a devil from hell.

In 1820 Don Diego Vega is an aristocrat who returns home to Spain from California to find his country under the rule of an evil dictator. However, the dictator's niece is a beauty he hopes to masquerade as her fiancé to get closer to the uncle and ultimately bring down his operation. Don Diego will become Zorro and perform as a Robin Hood of sorts for his countrymen.

"Find speech or I'll cut out your tongue."

Rouben Mamoulian, director of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), Queen Christina, Silk Stockings, Blood and Sand, Golden Boy, and Summer Holiday, delivers Mark of Zorro. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and contains witty lines, interesting characters, great action, and solid drama. The acting is also wonderful and the cast includes Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, Basil Rathbone, Eugene Pallette, and Gale Sondergaard.

"All of the people were covered in blood."
"Sorry I missed that."

I DVR almost all of Power's movies off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) as they come on. This was a very fun and entertaining picture. His character was entertaining, although a bit predictable, and I loved how the story turned out. Overall, this is an entertaining movie that is definitely worth watching once.

"Sword play is such a violent business."

Grade: B
October 19, 2013
Captain Esteban Pasquale (Basil Rathbone): His Excellency will never forgive me if I let you go without a word of welcome from him. I'm quite sure that you'll save me a reprimand.
Don Diego Vega (Tyrone Power): How could I refuse a man anything with a naked sword in his hand?

This was actually pretty darn good. The story was pretty straight-forward and familiar for any fans of Zorro. I think I'm beginning to be a fan of Tyrone Power. I finally see the attraction because he was undeniably charming and amusing in this movie. His acting ability (more than his good looks) was the real star of this film because his talent was able to showcase the duality of Don Diego's personality with great balance. He was as convincing as fop that was Don Diego, as he was the heroic Zorro. Equally brilliant was Basil Rathbone, who played Captain Estaban. He was a great classic villain (the kind you loved to hate) and the sword fighting between him and Power was surprisingly exciting. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both mastered swordplay for this film. Linda Darnell was gorgeous and played the innocent wall-flower Lolita Quintero perfectly. The rest of the cast was awesome as well and played their parts beautifully; mad props to Gale Sondegaard, who played Senora Quintero; she was devilishly devious, but at the same time all too simple and gullible that it was too irresistible not to rejoicing in her inevitable failure. Although this isn't really the usual genre I normally like viewing, the movie was still very entertaining and I found it really enjoyable to watch.
May 6, 2011
Tyrone Power - the swashbuckling answer to Errol Flynn - is cast as the agile masked avenger who decides to take up the people's cause in disguise leaving his 'mark' "Z" everywhere, on walls, coach, wooden barrels and human chest...

Power - in a double leading role - is at his best as Zorro, climbing, jumping, riding and fencing, determined to finish with tyranny and oppression by terrorizing, and retrieving taxation funds and by challenging a cunning officer, proving in public his indifference, his ostentation and irony as a perfect pacifist fop in 19th-Century Spanish California, confusing and deceiving his aristocratic father Don Alejandro Vega (Montagu Love), the deposed Alcalde...

The inspired casting (in supporting roles) recalls "The Adventures of Robin Hood."

Linda Darnell is the pretty Lolita, Quintero's charming niece, who loves the mysterious hero and can't tolerate the fop until she is told that they are the image of the same person...

Basil Rathbone, one of the most durable of screen villains who has mastered stage fencing but never won a Swordfight, plays the cruel captain Esteban Pasquale, the Alcalde's military adviser... He is a second-rate soldier of fortune who leads the campaign of frustrating taxation, who considered Diego "a fancy clown" but who suggests a practical plan, an alliance for the good of the state...

J. Edward Bromberg is the cowardly Alcalde, Don Luis Quintero, a corrupted thief, enemy of the people, whose tyranny and avarice are always enforced by the treachery of his iron hand, the rigorous captain Esteban...

Eugene Palette plays the mission 'fat' priest (Father Felipe) who ignores that Diego is the opposing force...

The high point of the picture is the fantastic duel between Power and Rathbone, a masterpiece of screen Swordplay...

Rouben Mamoulian succeeds in making two great stars dance to an unheard music... With a touch of a great filmmaker, Mamoulian mixes harmoniously movement and action, decor and lightning with rage and turmoil, heroism and romance...

Under Alfred Newman's Oscar-Nominated score and despite the unusual absence of Technicolor, the film (the first of the great Tyrone Power swashbucklers ) is great fun, full of vitality and suspense, an exciting, deliciously ironic swashbuckler...
April 14, 2013
This film is fantastic, far better than the later remakes, a nice role with bad guy Basil Rathbone ,no major violence, just a great feel good film, such a shame Tyrone died so young
March 20, 2013
Tyrone Power is quite fun as the masked vigilante Zorro, taking over the role originated by Douglas Fairbanks 20 years earlier in this remake. The film is just as good as the silent original, if not a bit better, as it adds in more characterization and backstory to flesh out the story. Power is quite likable in the role, maybe not as acrobatic as Fairbanks, but quite good in the fight scenes nonetheless. Basil Rathbone is quite good as the villain as well. This is a classic swashbuckler, highly recommended for any fans of classic action and adventure.
March 19, 2013
While it shows its age a little with a sometimes slow pace and 'Zorro' Zorro is really only in the film for maybe 10 minutes, Mark is still a classic and rousing adventure of yesteryear, with some great dashes of verbal humour, mainly from Diego (Power), good performances from its capable cast, especially Rathbone as the villainous captain, and some well filmed sword fights, especially the climatic duel with the Captain, which still manages to thrill and excite even all these decades later, a testament to its quality.
½ March 17, 2013
This movie is a lot of fun and stands the test of time. Love the horse! It's my favourite Zorro although I was a little taken aback by the tightness of Tyrone Powers' pants (blush)
February 24, 2013
Quizás el origen del zorro esté demasiado flojo a comparación de la última vez que vimos a este personaje y sus inicios en el cine, pero Tyrone hace un magistral juego del heroe y su alter ego, siempre tan cautivador y agresivo.
Si a esto le contamos que el villano es el siempre agraciado Rathbone, ver todo ese choque de egos y al fin contemplar su explosión a travez de un duelo de espadas impecable, fino, y emocionante.