Of Mice and Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Of Mice and Men Reviews

October 30, 2015
This movie is so much better than the 1992 remake. They tried but it didn't have the same feel to it. So many younger people won't watch it which is a shame, my daughter wouldn't because it was in black and white.
September 7, 2015
What should be an emotional tour de force with its storytelling and acting supremacy is unfortunately bogged down by Hollywood's need to provide a recycled soundtrack and overtly exposition-heavy dialogue. However, it's still a worthwhile viewing no doubt, and if you are sensitive to the subject matter should pull the tear trigger.
½ April 4, 2015
We all read the book at school and so we know what happens in this, and that sort of took my interest away a bit. I've not seen Lon Chaney in a non-horror before, he did a good job as Lenny, even if his character gets annoying after a while.
March 19, 2015
The best adaptation of Steinbeck's classic novel. I'm sure better reviews have been written, so I only have a couple of thoughts to offer. The film is about alienation and the desperate need to be wanted and loved. I must say that Lon Chaney, Jr. should have been nominated for an Oscar for his heart-rending portrayal of Lennie.
February 24, 2015
The balancing of heartfelt characters in different ways is approached in a good way while also commenting on its society through both class and gender considerations. The interplay between Meredith and Lon is rather strong.
January 21, 2012
good version of this
January 7, 2015
Lon Chaney Jr got an Oscar nomination as mentally disabled Lenny Small, and in any other year, both he and this film would have walked away with trophies. But this is 1939. Steinbeck's novel is brilliantly brought to life via Hal Roach and a cost including very young Burgess Meredith and Wallace Berry. A lost classic. Essential.
½ December 5, 2014
In impressive simultaneity, "Of Mice And Men" manages to not only erect an enticing visual manifestation of the classic Steinbeck novel, but it also succeeds in firmly representing everything its source material put forth.
½ December 7, 2010
(First and only viewing - 2/15/2011)
½ November 23, 2007
This movie is a classic based off of the novel by John Steinbeck. It is a must see for classic movie enthusiasts, however if you've read the book, it is exactly what you would expect. It's an unfortunate story with a not so pleasant ending. Definitely a film to see to say you've seen it.
April 30, 2014
Recently finished this film for a school assignment; and I have to say, even though I've never read the book, I feel like it captured the truth of the Depression Era and I quickly got attached to the characters and got to know them and that is the sign of a good adaptation of a good book.
April 5, 2014
By far the best filmed version of Steinbeck's classic. Lon Chaney, Jr.'s performance is heartbreaking.
½ February 27, 2014
a well made film that has sensible story
January 27, 2014
Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney both bring the level of gravity needed for one of Steinbeck's best pieces of work. An epic film of an epic work.
½ November 18, 2013
No wonder why Lon Chaney Jr. was propelled to stardom after shining as Lennie in this solid adaptation of Steinbeck's good story, finding the exact right tone for a mentally limited character who could have become really irritating if played by a lesser actor.
April 3, 2013
Tragedy on several different levels. Excellent script and acting. This film is not for children or those who are emotionally fragile.
½ February 27, 2013
This is such a great story that is has been made equally well at completely different times in cinema history. Chaney and Meredith work well together with their wonderful characters.
January 13, 2013
Lon Chaney and Burgess meredith give this story a fantastic life.
December 30, 2012
Allegedly a classic, the plot mainly revolves around Lon Chaney playing a cross between Frankenstein and the village idiot from Heartbeat, only in a more tiresome way. Curly is a similarly one-dimensional baddy whose wife - the only woman in the film - has unhappily married him for feeble unconvincing reasons. Slim was an almost interesting character, mostly unused. In the middle of the film, there is a tear-jerking episode involving the shooting of an old dog which was so horrible, I couldn't really care for the film beyond this part. The 'climactic' ending is a clumsy parallel of that, but it just didn't wash with me. I think the whole moral of the story was that retarded people like Lenny should be euthenased before they cause any harm, which is rather repugnant too. All in all, not a lot to recommend it. Steinbeck has gone flying down in my estimation. 6.25/10