Madeline Reviews

½ July 27, 2015
Mainly for children, this is a gentile enough story of an orphan with the various mischievous antics you expect from a group of children on a mission.
July 15, 2015
This was a pretty fun movie when I was a kid. That's due to the amount of care and precision that went into the making of Madeline. It's not some dumb slapstick kids movie that everyone in the 90's was making. It keeps in the tradition of the books, and paints a lovely picture of France. It's a gentle, kind movie.
½ March 21, 2015
Have never read the book and I have seen Madeline when I was in junior high and for me, it becomes part of my childhood memory. I love the fact that how naughty and clever Madeline is.
March 12, 2015
Another childhood favorite. I grew up reading the books and saw the movie as a kid and fell in love. Madeline is a movie I will share with my future children and hope they love as well. Very cute movie :)
April 17, 2013
for 1998:

a sweet and exhuberant film based on the series of best-selling books
basically it's a collection of all the stories about the Parisian schoolgirl from the new boy next door to the rescuing-dog to Lord Covington selling the school to having her appendix removed
amazingly enjoyable, warm, loving, and speedy
Madeline is an orphan but she will always have a home with Miss Clavel and her classmates
the popular character still stands the test of time and this film now brings it to life
January 22, 2013
When I was watching the film, it was bringing me memories when I used to watch the animated series when I was very little. It's a really good family film that follows the series really well, even having a heartening warmth that'd worked a little. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
July 14, 2014
Hatty Jones is adorable as Madeline regardless of the fact that she doesn't look anything like the book character. The scenery is gorgeous. Beyond that, I was kind of bored. I really loved these books as a child, but this movie more or less misses the mark.
March 12, 2014
Cute movie based on the famous children's books. Little Hatty Jones was the perfect Madeline.
February 12, 2010
Madeline is another movie that I certainly enjoyed more as a kid, but it still stands up pretty well today. It's nostalgic for me. (First viewing - Late childhood)
June 8, 2013
Madeline, a resourceful and adventurous girl living in a school along with friends run by a Miss Clavel, comes up with a plan to get the money needed to prevent the school from shutting down. However, she gets kidnapped along the way, and it is up to Miss Clavel to come to the rescue. For suckers of films featuring cute little children ala Little Rascals, this is as good as it gets in modern cinema.
March 30, 2013
Taken from the classic books by Ludwig Bemelmans, Madeline is the darling story of 12 little girls who live in a boarding school. The woman in charge of the home is a nun, Miss Clavel (Frances McDormand). Red-headed Madeline is the smallest of the girls but is, nevertheless, fearless and curious. The film follows Madeline's escapades as she has her appendix out, clashes with Pepito (the boy next door), falls in the river and more. There is a subplot concerning the approaching sale of the school and what it will mean to the girls who live there. Is it possible to have a happy ending?

This extremely watchable movie for children is a wonderful addition to the repertoire of good children's films. Hatty Jones is a delight as Madeline and the other little girls are fun and expressive. The leap from book to movie is smooth and successful; the film includes many of the books' key elements and will thus be appreciated by Bemelmans' fans. There is more than enough action and humor to keep children interested from start to finish. Adults will be charmed by the film as well. Recommended for families who are looking for quality alternatives to Disney, Beethoven the dog, Charlotte's Web, etc.
March 20, 2013
Enjoyable and glorious at the the same time...
January 31, 2013
½ December 30, 2012
My childhood favourite.
December 8, 2011
it was an ok film but I don't think I'll watch it again, it was an ok movie but I don't want it on DVD, it starred Frances McDormand, Nigel Hawthorne, Hatte Jones and Ben Daniels, it was ok but I don't want to see it again
½ December 7, 2012
The schoolgirl adventures of Madeline, a flame-haired orphan, are lovingly adapted from Ludwig Bemelmans's classic children's books. His sly and witty writing is transferred to this first-rate film.
September 12, 2012
rather boring and, on the whole, uninventive, pretty much sums up what happened in the major episodes of the television show. the nun, miss clavel, is a delight, which doesn't extend much further out to the rest of the predictable movie, but it could be said it was worth it to watch frances mcdormand. i still was left mildly unimpressed.
August 30, 2012
Even as a kid I felt ripped off when I watched this movie. The books are way better.
½ August 25, 2012
sweet, innocent and very entertaining. good for kids.
August 24, 2012
If Frances Mdormand wasn't Miss Clevel I would have never visited a child favorite or finished watching the movie.

I adore the original cartoon as well as Ludwigs Bemelman classic book series while growing up, that it took me 12 years after the fact to even consider watching the movie adaptation (keeping a high expectation in mind). The outcome is average- mediocre performances. Hattie Jones who played Madeline was a hit and miss... and to be honest not entirely convincing in her role. Pepito (my favorite character) was misrepresented as the troubling neighbor boy who was always up to tricks. From what I remember Madeline and Pepito were best friend not frenemies, and the ending conclusion where he "rescues" Madeline from clowns... the sillyness almost seems unbareable.