Marvel Movie Madness! Part 7: Blade

Summary

Matt: In 1998, Blade hacked and slashed his way onto the big screen in one of the bloodiest comic book adaptations we'd ever see (at least until Blade II). Wesley Snipes, mostly at the top of his stardom, played the vicious vampire killer, and the movie was directed by a relative newcomer named Stephen Norrington. I remember liking this movie, but I was surprised at how bleak it was when I rewatched it. There's a washed out feeling to the cinematography that's somewhat alienating, and I think it really helps set the tone here. As I watched it though, I felt like there was a conflict between the laconic intensity of the Blade character and Wesley Snipes' natural exuberance. Blade is very dour character here (more than he is in the comics), but sometimes Snipes just can't help mugging, or making a wisecrack. Back to Article

Comments

Andrew M.

Andrew McGregor

Still haven't gotten around to see the Blade movies, but they always have looked like good fun.

At least these vampires aren't are girly and sparkly!

May 23 - 11:28 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Blade 1 and 2 are both awesome! 3... not so much.

May 23 - 12:58 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

Giant baby death scene = terrifying

May 23 - 11:37 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I've always really dug this movie, every since it was released. I'm actually very surprised by the 55% T-Meter, as I think this is one of the best action movies from the late '90s. The opening fight scene where Blade kills a few dozen vamps in the blood-club is easily one of the most memorable set pieces of that decade.

May 23 - 12:20 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I completly agree, it's a badass movie.

May 23 - 12:25 PM

hoeech

Thomas H.

I'm complete with you there. The first Blade film was rich in bad-assery. This was in the wonderful time before vampires became sparkling vegetarians.

May 24 - 06:53 PM

Sem

J Adams

This was a good film. Like Alex, I can't believe this came out nearly 15 years ago. Where did the time go? Snipes really appeared to be in his element in this film. It's too bad the sequels get the full hollywood treatment. Though, I still enjoyed Blade II.

May 23 - 12:24 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I liked Blade II as well, although it carries a good bit more cheese than this one, in my opinion (a lot more CGI, too). The third one is absolute ass, though.

May 23 - 01:49 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Neither the first or second stood the test of time and the third installment always blew. Just the fact that Ron Perlman is in B2, makes it the better of movies though.

May 23 - 03:33 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I actually watched the original Blade again today because of this, and I think it holds up pretty damn well. The effects of the vampires turning to ash when they are killed still look pretty good (although the CG at the end looks rough, just like the article stated). I have not seen the second one in quite a few years (maybe around the time it came out), so I cannot comment on how well it stands up (I remember it being much more CG heavy, though).

May 23 - 05:45 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I completly agree, it's a badass movie.

May 23 - 12:25 PM

hoeech

Thomas H.

May 24 - 06:53 PM

Matt O.

Matt Oney

I thought G. Del Toro did a much better job with Blade II.

May 23 - 12:53 PM

Pammie B.

Pamela Bryant

My sentiments too. I like Blade but I loved Blade II. Del Toro has a way of making things look and feel so rich in texture.

May 23 - 05:14 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I thought the second one had better values, but the original was a better movie. The second hid too much behind bells and whistles I.e. the large magnificent seven vamp cast, the CGI super vamps, the cliched noble vamp hottie with cliche vamp family issues. The first didn't need that stuff because it had a cool idea and the cast, script and plot to make it stand on it's own.

May 25 - 01:03 PM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Blade 1 and 2 are both awesome! 3... not so much.

May 23 - 12:58 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

i thought the first blade was good, nothing amazing and i gave it a 60%.

May 23 - 01:26 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

the first one was good but the second was ok
never saw the 3rd

May 23 - 01:47 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

May 23 - 01:49 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

May 23 - 03:33 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

May 23 - 05:45 PM

TheEmeraldGuy

Bradley Bainter

I haven't seen much of Blade 1, though from what I hear, it was almost as good as Blade 2's dark, funny, witty badass-ness, but still way better than Blade Trinity's depressing combo of bland fights and uninspired daytime scenarios. Regardless, Blade was arguably one of the coolest things to ever happen to the vampire media. I mean c'mon, it really shouldn't take a neurosurgeon to know how awesome a film starring a near-invincible protagonist with a giant sword, lots o' guns and explosives and gadgets, a black trench-coat, sunglasses, enjoyably cheesy dialogue, WTF-surprises, a few equally-badass vampire sidekicks, a never-ending legion of hapless cannon-fodder in a humorously dark setting...Jesus, need I really say more?

(Author's Note: Bringing up yet another debate between Blade's cool-factor and that Twilight dogshit isn't really necessary anymore, since we all know comparing Blade to Twilight is like comparing an M60 machine-gun to a tampon. Which would YOU prefer to show off to your friends?)

May 23 - 02:20 PM

worthwatching.biz

Worth Watching

I enjoyed them all. But like most trilogies they got progressively worse with each installment.

May 23 - 02:33 PM

Kriss K.

Kriss Kringle

I've seen Blade and Blade II so many times I can't even remember.The second character from Marvel to get a movie and one of their best.After that Marvel made movies with quantity over quality in mind.

May 23 - 02:40 PM

Don Logan

David Kumpe

I always liked Blade. I remember that it was actually the first movie I ever got on DVD (birthday present). It had a nice mix of darkness, some comic edge, great fight scenes and action sequences, and enough character development and interaction so that you actually kind of cared for the characters, which is sorely lacking in most films (superhero, action, or otherwise) today. If you haven't seen it, it is worth checking out, keeping in mind what others have said about the dated CGI near the end. Hey, they can't all be winners.
Also of note is the opening sequence in the bloodbath disco. A sound design professor of mine who really liked it dissected the opening in minute detail of every sound you hear, and it's pretty impressive. If you get the chance, watch it again and pay attention to the sound design. Really well done and exciting, but with a lot of subtle things thrown in, not just the overpowering wall of sound and overblown audio effects like a lot of action films now (just because it's turned up to 11, doesn't make it good sound design.)

May 23 - 03:17 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Blade wasn't so bad. I actually liked it more than I thought I would.

May 23 - 03:28 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

May 23 - 03:33 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>