Life

Life Reviews

Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 1, 2011
Life is a much under rated comedy film. Something you wouldn't really expect from murphy and lawrence is a film as depressing as this is. Its well acted and it's entertaning therefore it's not getting the credit it deserves.
Spencer S

September 27, 2010
It wasn't especially funny, or dramatic, and the entire angle on becoming the next Shawshank Redemption fell through entirely. The very poster is trying to convey that this will be another Nutty Professor, a laugh riot based on the humor that defined the 90's, but this film is a stale substitute for the real thing. Quite disappointing.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
I really like this film. Martin Lawrence is such a moody little shit though, does he ever smile?
thefog1331
thefog1331

July 21, 2008
It's humor is erratic and maybe a little too long but it's still a damn sight better than any of that Nutty Doolittle stuff.

"Hey, girl! You gonna eat yo' cornbread?"
Nani V

June 28, 2008
I thought it was a very interesting movie. I especially love the ending. =)
thmtsang
thmtsang

October 7, 2007
Martin and Eddie are imprisoned for a crime they didn't commit. Funny love hate relationship between the pair.
Lafe F

July 11, 2007
Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are framed for murder and spend the rest of their lives in jail. The end. Nope, not quite - they have some funny and touching adventures while they are in their assigned chain gang work camp. Most of the other cons are really nice; they're mostly a bunch of friends. Nothing perverse occurs, okay? As they grow older and greyer, some of their pals die off, in a touching montage of time passing and people disappearing from the scene, literally. When Eddie and Martin age, they move up in rank as house servants for the warden. It was a decent movie and wasn't too much in-your-face.
Jason S

February 6, 2007
I liked this movie and thought it was very funny and thoughtful. It reminded me of Harlem Nights.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
has some funny parts, decent flick
kpn666
kpn666

July 3, 2006
I liked this one alot - i like prison based flicks - so two thumbs up!!
zdravkoduck
zdravkoduck

May 31, 2008
One wrongly accused race motivated arrest led to 70 years of comedy.
Remi L

April 22, 2009
"You want yo cornbread?"
toejambaseball24
toejambaseball24

October 20, 2007
This is a pretty underrated movie, and sadly forgotten. Even I forgot about it until I saw it on cable this morning, and was immediately reminded of how great it was. Eddie Murphy's performance is in a league of its own...whether he aims for drama or comedy in this "dramedy," he really delivers it in pitch-perfect fashion.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
Very funny!
MovieQueen79
June 18, 2011
Had its funny moments. But overall this movie was more of a drama. Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence work well together. Liked seeing Bokeem Woodbine in this- he is such a fine actor (both looks and talent)
February 12, 2012
One of the funniest movies of the 1990s! Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are down right hilarious! While this film was definitely more buddy movie than prison movie, it delivered well. A lot of things could have been better but Murphy and Lawrence played well off each other. Murphy was great as the fast talking Ray Gibson and Lawrence was good as the meek but proud Claude Banks. The other characters, from Willie Long, Jangle Leg, and Biscuit were great as well. Toward the end, you almost feel for Gibson and Banks given they were wrongfully imprisoned. However, they did make the best of their situation. The supporting cast no doubt was the strongest part of this film. Definitely worth seeing again.
February 2, 2008
"Very hilarious throughout but also sad, one of the most underrated flicks possibly of all-time. Murphy & Lawrence give the best performances of their career."
TonyPolito
February 8, 2011
No belly-roars here, and none intended. Murphy & Lawrence intend for the viewer to lightly chuckle ... then reflect on what makes life worth living.

It took about 24 hours after fin for me to start liking this film. Until then I was nearly seething about it. A plotline lifted from "Shawshank Redemption." A prison-yard fight scene copied wholesale from "Cool Hand Luke." It felt as though the duo were failing at an attempt to channel Pryor & WIlder's "Stir Crazy." The film was rife with offensive & negative racial stereotyping. Cliches, lots of cliches. Example: "We don't need no fences round our prisons out here in the swamp." And just what gives with 50 years passing in a swamp prison without a drop of sweat equity being shown? I had begun to think Murphy & Lawrence had decided to schlock something together ... just to fill holes in their shoot schedules and have the chance to do some cheap bits together.

Slowly, though, it seemed to sink in. That was the level of film targeted straight into the popcorn munchers. Yuck-it-up fror 120 minutes with (offensive) racial slapstick and prison film cliches. But Murphy had just a bit more to say with this film than that ... if he didn't, well, he wouldn't have titled it "Life."

Not too long ago, I viewed "Lost in Translation." Viewers know the characters exchanged names, phone numbers ... but never see it. Viewers know they made love ... because she plays the spurned lover ... but viewers never see it. Here in this film, viewers know there was decades of cruel abuse, backbreaking labor, wicked injustices ... but viewers never see it.

Instead we see those few moments the duo find worthy of remembering ... 12 years from one to the next in one case ... 28 years in another case. And isn't that life? That when we look back over past decades, that there are those very few certain moments -- often the briefest of moments -- that are just too fond or just too painful, that they refuse to stay forgotten?

Murphy lets us savor those few moments, the ones that belong to these two characters. And lets us see that they were far more savory than the time we first see them idle way in freedom. It is these kind of moments that give a life satisfaction, Murphy is arguing, no matter what happens the rest of time, no matter where that life is spent. Murphy's trying to show viewers just where to grab to catch life's brass ring.

RECOMMENDATION: Worthy viewing.
December 30, 2009
A movie about black people being blamed for something that they didn't do just because they are black!
SensationalOne
July 1, 2008
This movie is great and funny as hell too, but I hated that they got out so late so thats why I gave it 4 1/2 stars instead of 5.