Weekly Ketchup: The Mummy Gets Another Reboot

Summary

This Week's Ketchup was carefully compiled for you, as Greg Dean Schmitz had to sort through dozens of stories that were posted over the weekend in attempts to trick movie fans into believing various flights of April Fools fancy. Stories that came out this week that actually are real include reboots of The Mummy and Summer School, movies based on the lives of actresses Grace Kelly and Pam Grier, baseball great Hank Aaron, and Apple founder Steve Jobs, and sequels for Captain America, The Hunger Games and The Woman in Black. Back to Article

Comments

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

I expected The Mummy to get a reboot. What's with Hollywood rebooting more movies we don't want and giving us sequels we don't want, like Raging Bull 2 without De Niro an Scorsese. What's next Hollywood, a reboot of The Godfather or a remake of Taxi Driver? Nothing too interesting this week in movie news, beside Catching Fire changing director.

Apr 6 - 05:38 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Just a note... Raging Bull 2 didn't make the Weekly Ketchup because all appearances are that it will be a direct-to-video sequel, and the Ketchup tries to focus on films likely to have theatrical releases.

Apr 6 - 05:45 PM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

RAGING BULL 2 . . . oye vey.

Apr 7 - 08:19 AM

Mitch Jones

Mitch Jones

IMDB description for Raging Bull 2:

"A unique combination prequel and sequel that explores 'before the rage' and 'after the rage' of world middleweight boxing champ Jake LaMotta's tumultuous life and times."

Sounds like they are capturing the brilliance of the original to me. I see no problem with this. Carry on with your good work Hollywood. Also I have a similar script for Citizen Kane 2 where a reporter tries to figure out why the man kept yelling "braaaiiiiinnnns" before being shot in the head.

Apr 7 - 08:44 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"oye"? My meta-goiter just groaned. Then I read the "Raging Bull 2" quote, and I snapped my spleen. "Capturing the Brilliance". Maybe we need amnesty for it. "Good work Hollywood". RT is the Mirror Darkly.

Apr 7 - 10:35 AM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

If they could make The Mumy as effectively scary as the BORIS KARLOFF/KAL FREUND Mummy of 1932, it would be terrific! Boris Karloff is a totally scary actor. Totally? yeah: Totally.///KARLOFF, the name alone would cause hairs to stand on end, blood to curdle, and spines to chill.

Apr 7 - 08:23 AM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

Apr 7 - 08:23 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Apr 6 - 05:45 PM

Brandon Villanueva

Brandon Villanueva

Adam Sandler and Taylor Lautner? Smells like a winner...

Apr 6 - 06:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Smells like sweaty socks.

Apr 7 - 10:37 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Lautner does have a lot of comedic experience though. Have not you folks seen Abduction and the Twilight films?

Apr 7 - 11:16 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

Smells like teen spirit... wait.

Apr 7 - 09:29 PM

Awww, Spunk!

Apr 9 - 08:06 AM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

Nothing Im too excited about this week...

Apr 6 - 06:32 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

You forgot lash of the Titans 3.

Apr 6 - 06:40 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Given the performance of the last one, I doubt they're going to continue with the franchise.

Apr 7 - 09:39 AM

Brent Langenbach

Brent Langenbach

It's actually blowing up over seas so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if a 3rd is in the making.

Apr 9 - 09:32 AM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I hope Dunan Jones directs Catching Fire. The guy could be the next Christopher Nolan. All he needs is his own Batman Begins, and while Catching Fire may not be the perfect choice, It is the only upcoming big movie I can think of that doesn't already have a director attached. I also think it be interesting if each movie in the series had a different director.

Apr 6 - 06:43 PM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Duncan Jones is a great director, but I don't think Catching Fire is his type of movie. Regardless, I would love to see him attached as the director,(especially considering Catching Fire is my favorite in the series) and I think he would do a great job at it.

Apr 6 - 06:49 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Catching Fire doesn't really have a 3 act story though. I think what ever director they find is going to have trouble putting together the jumbled mess of catching fire into a decent story.

Apr 7 - 11:21 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

As I recall it Catching Fire has pretty much the same plot structure with a few twists as the Hunger Games. Seems to me like it's perfectly set up as a sequal. It's a similar story without the slow parts, the clear cut happy ending ala Empire Strikes Back and it leads perfectly into the final chapter which for me was a bit disappointing.

Apr 7 - 06:11 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

As a story, there is just no point in Catching fire. In the Hunger Games you have selflessness, sacrifice, compassion in the face of Evil. All that Jazz. Catching fire, yes, does try to rinse and repete all this but has more of a "Well, just cuz" motivation than a Plot driven story.

I actually loved the final book. The final book helped make more sense of Catching fires awkward structure. It was more like Catching Fire was part one of a two part book. THe Hunger Games is the only of the three that works as a stand alone story.

Apr 7 - 07:55 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agree to disagree I guess, for me I liked the inclusions of the old tributes and their motivations, haymitch's heavier involvement. I agree it's not as clear cut and self contained but it's the middle of a trilogy it doesn't have to be. To go with the cliche examples Empire and The Two Towers meet this mold as well and it didn't hurt their stories or box office. Don't really see the Just Because bit you mentioned either everyones motivations are pretty clear cut and explained.

Apr 8 - 08:10 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Two Towers is the perfect example. That was altered and butchered beyond recognition compared to the books to Fit into a 3 act story. I'm just wondering what they will do to catching fire to make it more "cinematic"

I honestly still don't understand the motivations in Catching Fire. I'd hate to reveal spoilers here to point out why I didn't like the character motivations though.

You also bring light to something I didn't realize. Empire and Two Towers are awesome films regardless of being the Arch that connects movie 1 and 2. So I agree with you in the sense that catching fire does have the potential to be an excellent film.

Apr 9 - 02:33 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

I found both Catching Fire and Mockingjay to be very unstructured and muddles. It seemed lazy, too. "Katniss and co. have to go to ANOTHER HUNGER GAMES. OH NOES."

However, what happens, action-wise, in that hunger games is so damn effing cool I'm still sure it'll be a great movie ;D

Apr 10 - 04:08 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Apr 6 - 06:49 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I'm all fine for a Hank Aaron biopic, but please, no Will Smith. They should get an unknown before they even consider casting Will Smith.

Apr 6 - 07:17 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Smith aint black enough. I'm thinking Don Cheadle or Terrance Howard. Cuba Gooding Jr. might be alright. Actually I don't care, I'm not going to watch it anyways.

Apr 6 - 10:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Idris Elba. Anthony Mackie. Who's playing Jackie Robinson in the other film?

Apr 7 - 10:38 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Chadwick Boseman: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1569276/

Apr 7 - 12:18 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thanks! I haven't seen him before. I checked in on Chiwetel Ejiofor too, and I see he's filming Steve McQueen's Solomon Northup movie. I do remember reading this here late last year. Off topic - Don Cheadle MUST play Miles Davis. I know he's been trying for a few years.

Apr 7 - 01:15 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Anthony Mackie has my vote.

Apr 7 - 06:17 PM

Daniel Garrett

Daniel Garrett

I think Idris Elba is one of the most underrated actors. Love that guy!

Apr 8 - 12:35 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

If you like Idris Elba then see if you can find some of his BBC cop show "Luthor", brilliant stuff.

Apr 9 - 01:46 AM

Rockland M.

Rockland Maeser

Derek Luke would be a good choice.

Apr 9 - 01:22 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

The Katy Perry role sounds like a real challenging one for her.

Barry Levinson for the Hank Aaron biopic sounds wonderful. I would love to see no Will Smith in that movie as well.

Apr 6 - 08:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

There's only a couple parts of her I'm interested in. If she's going to rip off Madonna's "Truth or Dare", she might as well follow it up with a coffee table sex book. I still wouldn't buy it (thank you, internet) but it's one step closer to sending her to Britain.

Apr 7 - 10:44 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Isn't the "musician" and "celebrity" of Katy Perry just one big performance anyways? This would be a film about the Performance behind the Performance or something? Is there gonna be a 20 minute segment of all the make up wig testing and push up enhancements before she goes on stage? Maybe a cool segment about how awesome auto tune is?

Apr 7 - 11:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Maybe we'll get to see the Chinese factory that made her.

Apr 7 - 01:16 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Katy Perry 3DD tit's going to be the breast movie of the year. You'd have to be a boob not to see it, yes mam's.

Apr 7 - 06:07 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Both of you have made my evening. I laughed so much my kids thought I was having a stroke.

Apr 7 - 07:58 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

*round of applause*
I could see her movie going tit-for-tat with Madonna's movie style wise.

Apr 7 - 09:31 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Nice Freudian nipple slips all around.

Apr 10 - 11:41 AM

C Damien Belyeu

C Damien Belyeu

Why...why did they pick Kelso as Steve Jobs?

Apr 6 - 08:53 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

lol, he's actually not half bad in his more serious films.

Apr 6 - 09:13 PM

Dude, where's his Oscar?

Apr 7 - 10:45 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

It's with the talented actors?

Apr 7 - 09:32 PM

Janson Jinnistan

This is such a missed opportunity for Charlie Sheen - PERFECT for the Isaacson adaptation (the one worth watching). If you can't see the symmetry between the megalomania and the dropping of Zen koans like F-16s, then you're all diseased.

Apr 7 - 10:49 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Paragraph 3 of his contract with Satan that keeps him on screens and firmly on my last nerve.

Apr 7 - 06:25 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

lol, he's actually not half bad in his more serious films.

Apr 6 - 09:13 PM

Dude, where's his Oscar?

Apr 7 - 10:45 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

It's with the talented actors?

Apr 7 - 09:32 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

While Michael Bay raped our childhoods a couple weeks ago changing the TMNT, now our adulthood is about to get raped by Ashton Kutcher playing Steve Jobs.
Now, I'm no mac-head but almost anyone else would do a better Steve Jobs than Ashton Kutcher, he even does a bad Charlie Sheen.
I hope Universal reboots all their monster properties and hands em over to Guillermo Del Toro, that'd be appropiate I think.

Apr 6 - 10:18 PM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, proves that Del Toro's carrer is through; he might as well give up producing and directing altogether. ////but . . . Guillmero can manage to stage a comeback---like magic.

Apr 7 - 08:27 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark was produced by Del Toro not directed. Even Steven Spielberg has produced some terrible films. The last film Del Toro directed was Hellboy 2, which in my opinion was one of the best comic book adaptations ever, so I don't think he needs any comeback, since he hasn't really fallen.

Apr 7 - 09:46 AM

Janson Jinnistan

PACIFIC RIM proves it isn't.

Apr 7 - 10:50 AM

mike p.

mike parker

ARGH!!!

How exactly is he raping your childhood? Oh right...by changing the Turtles...

Oh wait...since his version of their origin is closer to THE ORIGINAL than any other version thats been on screen (small or large) maybe you should instead be applauding Bay for maintaining artistic integrity despite the temptation to appease the ignorant masses by giving them a repeat of the inferior version they were weaned on...

Apr 12 - 08:46 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"you should instead be applauding Bay for maintaining artistic integrity despite the temptation to appease the ignorant masses by giving them a repeat of the inferior version they were weaned on"

Seriously, who do you work for?

Apr 12 - 11:24 AM

Joe O'Leary

Joe O'Leary

You sir, are a fool.

Apr 13 - 02:27 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

#1 ADAM SANDLER AND HAPPY MADISON REMAKING SUMMER SCHOOL

I usually don't make a habit of wishing death on people, but I wish Adam Sandler would go the fuck away permanently.

Apr 6 - 10:20 PM

Marc Carne

Marc Carne

Summer School rules leave it the fuck alone sandler

Apr 7 - 02:03 PM

Steven Bartholomew

Steven Bartholomew

Seriously, leave Sandler alone! Him and Ferrel have great comedic minds and if you don't understand his humor, thats fine, but there are millions who'd disagree and grew up with sandler and Ferrel. 80's movies sucked anyways so its fine if they get a reboot.

Apr 8 - 07:12 AM

uspikeywolf

Charlette Alfieri

I personally love Adam Sandler and he was my favorite actor when I was a child. Heck we even share the same birthday! But you have to admit he's making terrible movie choices lately. Have you seen Jack and Jill? Part of me died.

Apr 9 - 05:41 PM

uspikeywolf

Charlette Alfieri

Also, Summer School is one of my favorite movies so I'm pretty pissed about this.

Apr 9 - 05:42 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Apr 6 - 10:22 PM

Rafael Rivera

Rafael Rivera

I don't get it. I'm not a fan of Taylor Lautner by any means but is it with the writer of weekly ketchup and the kid? Always the same lame joke with him being in that crapy shakboy lava girl movie? It's old man get over it he is famuse and for the time being a star. Is the twighlight series any worse? No it's not. So get over your self cause you sound bitter and repeating the same joke over and over and over again like episodes of Family Matters "Did I do that!?" or Full House "You got it dude".

Apr 7 - 02:34 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I've never been so proud of the fact that I've never seen a complete episode of either Family Matters or Full House (or Growning Pains). More of a Soap fan myself. Had I been indoctrinated with Urckle and the Twins, maybe I too would have ended up trying to defend Taylor Lautner. Chills.

Apr 7 - 10:53 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Another redo of the Mummy? That film has already been remade twice, and unlike say Batman or Spiderman it's not like there's this huge amount of source material to draw upon. Okay, I know the Brendan Fraser version wasn't exactly faithful to the original, but I still consider it to be somewhat underrated. Like Priates of the Carriebean I thought it had a great combination of both humor and horror (even if it focuse much more on the humor than the horror). Stephen Sommers isn't an oscar worthy director, but I really liked the good old fashioned feel of his films before the 2000s rolled in and he started just cramming them with as much CGI effects as he could.

Captain America 2 getting a new director? Why am I not surprised. At the rate they're going Jon Favreau will probably ending up being the only one to direct more than two marvel studios films.

Okay, I know Hunger Games would have been succesful no matter who was directing it, but still you gotta give credit for Gary Ross delivering a solid product. I think he had every right to ask for a bigger fee on the sequel and given the massive success of the first film Lionsgate could have easily afforded it. Oh well, changing directors didn't hurt Harry Potter, so hopefully it won't hurt Hunger Games.

The Hank Aaron biopic sounds interesting, but Barry Levinson's track record as of late has been pretty poor, so I'm not too optimistic.

A remake of Summer School? Are they that desperate to mine material from the 80s. It's not like that film is really popular, so the name isn't going to mean much. I wonder if Adam Sandler is purposefully trying to pick the most rotten sounding ideas for his next films just to show that he doesn't care about winning razzies.

Apr 7 - 02:38 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel