50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Jack Frost Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

May 17, 2011
Jack Frost: Why me... why a snowman? I mean, could the universe really be that unoriginal?

"He's the worlds coolest dad and he's gonna prove it."

Okay so Jack Frost is a sentimental movie that tugs on the heartstrings too much and tries to create emotional tearjerking moments too often. Still, I'll always have an appreciation for the movie, as it was a big part of my childhood. I loved this movie as a kid. Now, I see it for what it is; a movie that appeals to kids and nothing more. Still it has a nostalgia value with me that doesn't go away. I thought I'd watch it again now, at an older age because the movie so heavily criticized and I wanted to see why. I ended up enjoying the film for the most part even now. Sure it's overly sentimental, but it's a fucking kids movie. So fucking what a kids talking and hanging out with a snowman. I hear all these words to describe it, like creepy and weird. Nobody complains about Frosty the fucking snowman. This is a live action fairy tale, so it is what it is.

Jack Frost is a busy man. He's the front man for a blues band that is about to get signed and hit the big time. He also has a wife, Gabby, and a son, Charlie. Charlie is constantly being disappointed by his father. Jack doesn't show up for his hockey games because he's in the studio and when Jack promises to go away to a cabin for Christmas, Charlie is excited. A call from an agent telling Jack, the band is going to be signed puts a damper on this though. He has to go play for the label on Christmas. Halfway there he decides his family is more important and turns around. He crashes and dies and a year later, when Charlie plays his dads harmonica after making a snowman; Jack is resurrected in the form of that snowman.

While Jack Frost is nowhere near being considered a good movie, it's one that I enjoy even while I cringe at some of the more over the top sentimental and emotional moments.  There's much worse Christmas movies out there. It's a good movie for the kids, but adults who didn't watch it as a kid will more then likely hate it. The reviews speak for themselves.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 24, 2011
I loved Jack Frost as a kid. Now I just see it as satisfactory childrens christmas entertainment. Although uninspired it did however bring a smile to my face despite there being other, better christmas films.
Alexander D

August 18, 2011
The 1998 version of JACK FROST is full of bad acting and is a waste of your precious Christmas moments.
Lucas M

June 25, 2011
Too sentimental and bad writing. Rotten.
michael e.
michael e.

December 22, 2010
this movie was surprisingly good, i thought it was greatly boring during the first half an hour but after he turned into a snowman the film just became fantastic and the ending is one of the few moments to get me teary eyed in a film
KJ P

January 13, 2010
I have no idea why this movie is rated bad! To me, this is one of the most heartwarming holiday movies ever made! The cast, the emption, and the ideas flowing through this film are fantastic!
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
So so sooooo bad. Who thinks up this crap and who the fuck funds it?
Jason O

August 15, 2009
"Jack Frost" is one of the best holiday movies of the past few years. A musician (Michael Keaton) is struggling with his family because he is about to make it big in the music business and it's taking away a lot of the time spent with his family. One day after he gets off early and is on the way to spend some time with his wife (Kelly Preston) and his son, he has a tragic accident that kills him. However, he comes back alive as a snowman after his son calls for him. He has to prove to his son that even though he's a snowman, it's him. And he also has to keep from melting.
"Jack Frost" is a good comedy/drama movie. A lot of the parts and lines in the movie are hilarious, but it also has a tender side to it. Both the comedy and drama parts in the movie are well done and well acted. I think "Jack Frost" is a good movie not only for the holidays, but for any time of the year. I recommend anybody to get it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Rather farfetched, the idea of coming back to life as a snowman, but it was a cute movie.
Red L

December 26, 2008
Not sure what to make of this movie. Musician dad drives off a cliff one Christmas. A year later, he comes back as a snowman??? So he has until spring to make up for all his absences. So it is sappy, I still watched it.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 18, 2007
did you just say, butt dad?
Rachel F

August 5, 2007
Really cute.
garyX
garyX

April 28, 2007
Michael Keaton haunts his son from beyond the grave as...*braces himself* a snowman. I am not going to grace this insipid tripe with another word.
Jason S

January 31, 2007
This is a kids movie but if you really think about it... it's kind of creepy. There's a horror movie of the same name.
Dillon L

April 27, 2011
Cheesy and lame.
Christopher H

December 26, 2013
For some reason, whether it was because it was always on cable around Christmas or because it had Michael Keaton in it, I've seen "Jack Frost" more times than I can remember, and to be perfectly honest, I really enjoy it every time. Keaton plays a musician father that is just about to break into the music industry with his band, but in doing so, he is leaving his beautiful wife (Kelly Preston) and his son (Joseph Cross) in the dust. When he misses his son's hockey game and then has to bail on a Christmas trip to the cabin, Jack (Keaton) decides to give it up and head back to his family. Sadly, on the way, he has a car accident and dies, which is truly heartbreaking. But thanks to the "magic" harmonica that he gives his son after missing his game, he is brought back to life in the form of a snow man, an annual activity the father and son once shared. Given a strange second chance, Jack uses this time to spend with his son, whose mental frailty is constantly in question as he begins spending a strange amount of time with a snowman. Thanks in part to the Jim Henson creature shop, the snowman effects are impeccable, feeling very real and creating a character that is most often than not, completely believable, helped by the great voice acting by Keaton. However, some of the special effects, mainly during the downhill sled chase, the effects fall off in quality tremendously. "Jack Frost" may not be the most conventional holiday film but it has stayed with me since I was a child and continues to fascinate me with its ridiculous premise and tragic demeanor.
Yinalí R

October 11, 2007
Lovely movie.
Andrew F

October 27, 2006
I loved this movie when I was little.
David S

December 11, 2013
As cheesy as you'd expect from a Christmas film about a man who is reborn as a snowman! The whole thing would be a disaster if it wasn't for Keaton, who manages to be 'cool' in everything he does (geddit?). This film could only be appreciated at xmas and even then there are much better xmas films but although it didn't melt my heart it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Keaton deserves better though..
Sarah P

November 20, 2010
You think it's a cute movie until you really think about it... a little boy having emotional moments with a talking snowman. Weird/creepy!
Marion R