The Love Letter Reviews

½ February 20, 2010
I actually enjoyed this movie. I admit I did have to start it over once about 10 minutes into the movie because I wasn't really paying attention and so I didn't know what was going on. The character of Johnny did make me uncomfortable though with how posessive and pushy he seemed to be. It certainly wasn't a brilliant movie but it was quirky.
April 28, 2008
Just okay. I watched for Ellen and Tom Selleck and they were both very loveable.
iLeo
½ April 12, 2007
A great movie!
September 20, 2011
descent quirky emsamble comedy/drama about a small town where everyone seems 2 know everyone's business with mixed results.
August 9, 2009
The film was okay for me, although I got confused with some parts and knew it was something else than what I expected before watching this. There's more drama and little or no comedy, and I didn't get what's with The Love Letter and who wrote it. It was good seeing Ellen DeGeneres' acting performance here, though.
January 2, 2009
This is a great movie that I could watch any day of the week. Not many people have seen it but it's just so charming. I caught it on HBO years ago and immediately loved it. Kate Capshaw is so good in this movie!
½ July 19, 2007
Was an ok film. nothing we haven't seen before. had some good moments but nothing to write home about.
March 16, 2007
Skitch Patterson as the love interest, what more could a girl want? Well, a plot that makes sense before the last 5 minutes of the movie would be nice.
January 11, 2007
dreamworks made this movie. and steven spielberg made that company. kate capshaw is in this movie and shes married to spielberg. so he kinda had a ot to do with the movie even though hes not actually in it. it was kinda like et but really boring. a lot of people thought this was boring. itll make you fall asleep.
December 27, 2006
The Love Letter is a genuinely charming romantic comedie Ellen DeGeneres Great performances but too brief.
July 5, 2015
Only comment: Kate Capshaw was a producer on this yet casts Blythe Danner as her mother when in reality Ms Danner' is only 11years older than Capshaw. This movie may be 16 years old, but, come on, if women don't take care of each other, no one will.
½ February 25, 2013
highly recommended ..for those who love writing and reading love letters,and send post cards :)
December 17, 2012
What a sweet, gentle, warm, quietly humorous little movie. I loved the excellent performances of the all star cast and the quirky wit of the dialogue. This is what I like romcom to be. How enjoyable.
½ October 14, 2012
I like this film even though I can see it did not get great ratings. It was an enjoyable movie with likable, human characters played against an authentic small town New England feel. When you're rating films, they're not all supposed to be rated as though they were classics or Oscar-worthy. You rate them based on likability, balance of plot and characters, as well as the artistic value of the cinematography, acting, and overall direction of the film. In that way, this film gets my good side. By no means is this an amazing film, but it is a great film to watch and relax and forget about things for awhile. Good films do that, they get you out of your current state of being while still remaining real and human.
½ May 24, 2011
Much better than the 1998 'The Love Letter' which got downloaded first in error. Not a great movie - it's all a bit wacky and Mom's Apple Pie US of A. But it does come from a place that love isn't simple and life can be confusing. Things come good if you work at them. Oh, and it's a comedy, so that's a bonus.
½ August 11, 2008
[i][b]The Love Letter[/b][/i] - Little more than a predictable love fantasy, this one has a few cute moments and a few hilarious ones from the always-funny Ellen DeGeneres. The film, though, at only 88 minutes, is a bit long. [b]** (out of ****) C

[i]Maid in Manhattan[/i][/b] - Silly update of the [i]Cinderella[/i] story with J. Lo as a maid in a Manhattan hotel who falls for a lazy Ralph Fiennes. Boring! [b]*1/2 (out of ****) D+

[i]Mambo Italiano[/i][/b] - Silly, cliched gay love story. Paul Sorvino is fun, though. [b]*1/2 (out of ****) C-

[i]Miami Rhapsody[/i][/b] - Cliches, cliches, cliches for sure, but there are some really funny moments and some good performances. [b]**1/2 (out of ****) B-

[i]My Best Friend's Wedding[/i][/b] - I love this movie. The only reason it's not a 10/10 is because of some of the slapstick humor, which is taken a bit far at times. Otherwise, it's a fabulously acted, wonderfully atypical romance. I fell in love with it. [b]***1/2 (ou tof ****) A-[/b]
½ September 3, 2007
Ugly, boring, charmless movie. I gave it 1 because of the lazy dog and the deer that appeared in the film, they were who made me laugh, the actors just made check the hour every ten minutes, I just wanted it to finish.
½ September 2, 2007
:rotten: [b][i]The Love Letter [/i][/b]is a irrelevant and charmless movie with a stupid screenplay that never was funny or romantic but very ridiculous and formulaic.

Kate Capshaw was the worst of the film: not charming, not funny, very old and she's so cold to be starring a movie. Ellen DeGeneres wasn't funny either. Tom Selleck was good, Gloria Stuart was great, Blythe Danner played and awful character that didn't help her at all, Tom Everett Scott was good but used as a sex symbol trying to raise a monotonous film.