A Midsummer Night's Dream Reviews

October 4, 2015
Bottom is absolutely hilarious. A total show off, he seem to loves the extra attention
½ December 17, 2013
A Midsummer Night's Dream is an enchanting take on William Shakespeare's story, delivering the delight and joy of the play
½ April 30, 2015
A Midsummer Night's Dream is a fun adaptation of Shakespeare's play, featuring mostly solid performances across the board (Most notably Kevin Kline as Nick Bottom and Stanley Tucci as Puck), the payoff of moving the setting to the late 1800's, and being generally faithful to the source material. Verdict: B
½ January 29, 2015
The cast are clearly having a great time but there's nothing entirely new or exciting about this adaptation. Full review later.
May 5, 2014
It's well constructed, but the comedy doesn't seem as visible as it should be.
½ April 3, 2014
Unfunny and rather boring.
½ March 21, 2014
It's as scattershot and muddled as the play from which it is based, but Michael Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream is a sweet, funny, and cheerful Shakespeare adaptation with a brilliant cast and marvelous production values.
½ March 14, 2014
A Midsummer Night's Dream is faithful towards the famous play by Shakespeare, but it seems a bit dull. The performances are fine, and the scenery is quaint, but the movie just seems a bit off-center.
½ February 28, 2014
gr8 cast brings this often filmed shakespeare to life
½ January 19, 2014
The acting in general was not very convincing, especially not as is required for a good Shakespearean rendition. Most lines are uttered without real feeling and with clichéd emotion, facial expression and gesture. Calista Flockhart (Helena), Sam Rockwell (Francis Flute; especially in the play-in-the-play) and Kevin Kline (Bottom) were best, my favourite being Calista Flockhart who brings Helena's emotions convincingly with great authenticity. I have read that "this was Kevin Kline's play", but I disagree because the character of Bottom has a lot of potential as a funny Shakespearean stereotype (but this was probably acted out under the director's guidance). Only in the end did he really show himself in the play-in-the-play. Michelle Pfeiffer (Titania) and especially Rupert Everett (Oberon) show us that the failing fairies' relationship was not only due to adultery and jealousy, but also because of the lack of emotional depth in their relationship - which speaks out of their performance. The biggest disappointment is that I don't see the Shakespearean stereotypes played out on screen, Bottom is supposed to be the idiot with a carpe diem lifestyle, but he is portrayed too gravely, which stifles a lot of potential humorous approaches to the character. Puck also didn't come to life as the witty and mischievous knave he is. I also feel that the director could have done more with the mute characters on screen, their short scenes are there to set a mood, but they seem superfluous.

The soundtrack was nothing spectacular and the sound-effects and background noises were cheap clichés we see everywhere nowadays (cf. forest background sounds). Most of the actors' voice-acting was also uninspired, and does not do homage to the verbal virtuosity of Shakespeare's play.

I sincerely wonder whether the director knows of the potential comedy that lurks in the play, because I did not have the feeling that I was watching a comedy at all. The play-in-a-play was in it's 10-minute totality more funny than the whole 100 preceding minutes. There were no genuinely funny situations, and the movie was absolutely not original in creating these, Instead, it relied too much on the inherent comedy of the incompatibility of some characters and emotions in certain situations, and so took a too passive and unoriginal approach. The movie lets a lot of very obvious occasions of potential funny situations slip by, even the potential very comic situation with the chink in the wall slip (hint: "I kiss the wall's hole, not your lips at all"). The only scene that comes closest to a comic situation is when Helena runs away from a chasing Demetrius and Lysander, but even this scene was more dramatic than funny. Bottom's lying with Titania too was also disappointing.
January 4, 2014
Even at 116 minutes, I thought that this was so goddamn long. Honestly, it's boring as hell. There's absolutely no funny scenes, nothing exciting or intense, and it's overall just a dull mess.
½ December 17, 2013
A decent adaptation of William Shakespeare`s play.
½ January 17, 2012
This is the version I've been meaning to watch for awhile. Mostly for the cast list that includes Stanley Tucci (Puck), Kevin Kline (Bottom), Michelle Pfeiffer (Titania), Calista Flockhart (Helena), Anna Friel (Hermia), Christian Bale (Demetrius), and a ton more. For the most part, I thought this was a fun adaptation of one of my favorite comedies. Kline killed it as Bottom. He was hilarious and did some really fun things with the part. Tucci almost stole it for me. He was so much fun as Puck. I mean, the ensemble cast as a whole was impressive, so no complaints there. I thought the setting, Victorian era Italy, was pretty cool and actually worked fairly well. It made for some fun bits (like Puck trying to figure out what a bike is) but there were some times when I was like "ok I get it, the costumes and scenery are pretty, but can we please just get back to the story." Overall though, this is a fun adaptation that is great for the masses as well.
½ June 12, 2013
I liked the book, but not this movie. Far too long.
June 21, 2013
I still think this in theater looks better than on a movie. I always wanted to see some of this or read it (never had the chance on university but now I do since I end that era at last) and still think like I wrote before, in theater looks better....you may get confused but since is a love story, it is easy to get the feeling out of it (cliche is part of it thanks to Shakespeare). I must admit that on that DRAMA class I had last year, they said he wrote a few comedies and this one was one of those comedies...but seriously, I did not laugh a bit (LOL?). So yes, 3 stars of 5. You want to see this play? See it in a theater not on a movie place. Eso era. - June 21, 2013
June 1, 2013
A delightful adaptation of one of Shakespeare's most accessible plays, with a trans-Atlantic cast of recognisable faces who have fun with the material at hand.

Michael Hoffman's visual treat is a playground for the likes of Rupert Everett and Stanley Tucci to cause a little havoc amongst foolish mortals; it's fun to see Dominic West and Christian Bale compete for the affections of Calista Flockhart, having been previously introduced as rivals for Anna Friel. On the other side of the forest, Kevin Kline steals the show as amateur actor Bottom and his potion-induced fling with the luminous Michelle Pfeiffer is both tender and comical.

There's plenty of fun to be had here, celebrating the pursuit of love and passion.
½ May 7, 2013
Very boring! I will probably never watch this movie again.
December 27, 2012
A worthy experience of Shakespeare's beloved comedy. It's safe to say I couldn't stop laughing during the Pyramus and Thisbe section.
December 7, 2012
Above par film, worth owning.
½ December 6, 2011
it was a great film, I enjoyed it, it was actually better than what I thought and Kevin Kline, Michelle Phfeiffer and Rupert Everett starred in it, it was a good film but I'm not sure if I want it on DVD