91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

House on Haunted Hill Reviews

July 11, 2014
House on Haunted Hill pretty much sums up what it was like living in the late 90s. Bad special effects, animation that looks like it was crapped out of a Tool video, fun heavy metal 80s covers, Billy Madison's hot third grade teacher, Chris Kattan... Love every second of it.
June 14, 2007
Update to a poor classic movie fails to surpass it even with a good cast
July 1, 2014
I've watched this and it doesn't show enough ghosts or scares in my opinion.
adam24911
June 2, 2014
Good plot, that should have been executed so much better. It was slightly creepy at times, but I always find stories based on old pyschiatric hospitals a bit creepy. Other than that it's not particularly memorable. None of the characters are likeable and they are all stereotypes who spend most of the film spouting one liners to emphasise their stereotype and how disgruntled they are about the inconvenience of being stuck in a haunted house.
Samuel D.
May 11, 2014
after watching the original prior to this movie I have to question all of the regress that has happened within the horror movie genre over the past half century
October 26, 2007
I actually kind of enjoyed this one. I thought it was fairly well made. Had some interesting ideas and cool camera work.
February 26, 2014
Ranging from mildly entertaining in a visceral sense and eyebrow raisingly silly, this remake comes off as unmemorable and unnecessary.
Sebastian O.
February 15, 2014
"House on Haunted Hill" is very inconsistent. In one hand, the premise is good, the twists are surprising, Rush is excellent, and it was very refreshing to see how much work was put into the film. On the other hand, however, the film didn't scare, the dialogue was unrealistic, and the final twenty minutes seemed like the director had given up and decided to depend the rest on visual effects. All in all, sort of a textbook horror flick; not great, but not terrible.
January 13, 2014
Effects & climax (13) OWN DVD
January 1, 2014
Completely awful, what was the point of this? If anyone should make another House on Haunted Hill at least do it properly. I still don't understand why people make crummier versions. I think a modern version of House on Haunted Hill could be wonderful, if the people creating it were inventive and had a good eye. In fact a big budget House on Haunted Hill would be spectacular. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
August 11, 2012
. . .a so-bad-it's-good movie 'cause no matter how goofy and ill-conceived it was, it still is fun to watch.
johnnytangster
September 1, 2007
All the special effects in the world cannot compensate for an inability to generate tension, establish and sustain pace or create any character whose survival is worth rooting for. The film paints its characters in strokes so broad just one would cover a barn, and, in the end, indulges in lame, dull digital effects that would put a 5-year-old to sleep. The film ultimately begins to sour soon after, as the interplay between Steven Price and Evelyn not only is cold-hearted and off-putting, but also disastrously acted by the usually talented performers Geoffrey Rush and Famke Janssen. Soon enough, it becomes clear how much this movie disrespects both the audience and the genre. Perhaps most distressing of all is that the film fails to deliver even one good "boo!" moment. Geoffrey Rush shamelessly overacts with a vengeance in this chillingly awful movie, which leaves us with one nagging question. Can Oscars be recalled? This is almost a green light. If you considered yourself a connoisseur of horror films, you'll be disappointed. If you are easily scared then you will love it.

VERDICT: "Hit The Exits" - [Panned Reaction] These are some of the worst films ever made. These films do everything wrong and do it worse than bad. Audiences should never see this film under any circumstances! (Films that are rated 0.5 or 1 stars)
October 20, 2013
I haven't seen the original so I can't compare the two. However, on it's own, it is still not that good. I watched this back when it came out in theaters and gave it a second look. Geoffrey Rush is an amusement park tycoon and is tasked with hosting a haunted house party for his wife played by Famke Janssen. That sounds promising, but it never quite has the thrills one might expect from that setup. Eventually it is found out the guest list was created by the ghosts of the former asylum that used to be at the house in an effort to get revenge on the descendants of the former staff. It's just dumb all around without being a bit of fun.
September 25, 2013
Geoffrey Rush's employers must have as deep pockets as his character to allow him to appear in this brainless dross. Gore and stupidity take front seat here, while plot, characters and even good fun are absent.
September 25, 2013
Well its not as bad as the 13 ghosts remake, as in its at least not painful to watch, still its not that much better, it does have a good premise and some scary imagery and locations, but the ending is just fucking stupid, chris kataan is super annoying, the characters not likable, outside of rush, dont waste your time
September 6, 2013
What a pile of shit!
March 26, 2008
Has its moments (most of them featuring Geoffrey Rush) but it's dumb and tediously grotesque.
May 6, 2012
good for the first half then the special effects come out to ruin the party. rush is in ham zone and is no vincent price. sadly this film comes apart quickly
john o.
May 16, 2013
Reminds me of The Haunting, that also had a great original with a shitty remake. It was way too different, and the house being alive was too stupid for me to get into. Plus James Woods so should have replaced Geoffrey Rush as Steven Price! The characters were just awful too, except for his of course.
Thomas Hiers
May 14, 2013
A true haunted house horror film. I got scared pretty easily through this. I've been to haunted house attractions, but I've never been in one scarier than the one in this movie.