97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Boiler Room Reviews

February 17, 2014
If you loved the wolf of wall street then this is a must watch. riovanni ribisi is excellent, vin petrol seems out of place.
July 20, 2014
The movie ends pretty abruptly, but otherwise, a pretty gripping drama
May 7, 2012
Boiler Room is an interesting white collar crime thriller. Giovanni Ribisi plays a young man who gets a job at a small investment firm. He is on the fast track to becoming very rich until he finds out he is way over his head.

Giovanni Ribisi is a great underrated actor and this is just one of his performances that proves it. Throughout the movie he is trying to impress his overbearing dad played by Ron Rifkin. The relationship between father and son in the movie is a theme that works and is executed very well. Vin Diesel, Scott Caan, and Ben Affleck also show up in the movie in smaller roles with all three hitting it out of the park with good performances.

The interesting choice of using hip hop music throughout the movie was surprising, but it also really works. At first it doesn't seem like it would fit, but as the movie goes on you can tell that it was the perfect choice.

Boiler Room is a really good movie. It may not be as crazy or as good as The Wolf of Wallstreet(which is actually based off the same true story), but it can certainly hold it's own.
January 24, 2009
A college dropout played by Ribisi stops his underground casino operation after his father finds out and decides to try and get into the world of stock brokering. He ends up at a firm that seems to good to be true and has a rigorous entrance requirements. He busts his butt to try and sell shares to potential customers, but later finds out it is all a sham. Eventually the FBI get in and work with him to bring down the operation. Tips its hat to Wall Street in a number of ways, especially when there is a scene where they actually play out a scene from it. Still has a few problems though, seems to slow down around the end of the second act or so, because all the pieces are there and you know what is going to happen from there and there really isn't anything left to surprise you. Does also feel like it transitions don't seem as fluid as they could. I can see the rap soundtrack not working for some people, but it fits in with the time and the lifestyle of these guys. A solid movie, not as great as I remembered it being, but good acting all around, but it didn't really know how to end it.
April 6, 2014
I love Giovanni Ribisi and everything he is in. I can't have any complaints as long as he's in it. Especially when he is the main character.
March 30, 2014
The other reflection of "The Wolf of Wall Street" rather than making you feel good about taking peoples money, this movie makes you feel bad.
VIRGIL H.
March 20, 2014
The hip-hop opening with the narrative about "either you're slinging rock or you got a sweet jump shot" got me hooked. I enjoyed Ribisi's character, and also that acidic talk that Affleck gave....which did remind me of that speech by Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.
February 28, 2014
There is a scene where the entire cast acts out scenes from Wall Street, like we didn't already know that they wished they were just in Wall Street already.
February 23, 2014
Jim Young (Ben Affleck): And there is no such thing as a no sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock or he sells you a reason he can't. Either way a sale is made, the only question is who is gonna close? You or him? Now be relentless, that's it, I'm done.

This was a pretty cool film. Giovanni Ribisi is in a class of his own and he's such an underrated actor. Obviously he's ten (even a hundred) times more talented than some pseudo-"actors" with a Hollywood pedigree (*coughs* Jaden Smith). So why doesn't he get the accolade he so richly deserves? I don't get it. Anyway, he's terrific in this one (as he usually is in all his films) and so was Vin Diesel, for a non-action oriented film. Ben Affleck was also good (I know shocker, right?) but you can see the kernels of his more polished acting chops (somewhat, or he just plays a-holes really well). It was kind of disappointing that Tom Everett Scott wasn't in the film more because he's also such a cool and charming actor but it didn't diminish how good the movie turned out to be. The whole story arc was pretty interesting, almost made you believe in miracles that nobody can make good and buy in to the idea that the company was schilling these poor saps about being a millionaire in their first few years and all that up until you realize what the gig was actually about. Evil, but I have to admit it's a brilliant scheme. Still cold and soulless but friggin' genius (that's why I will never be rich-- because I still have a damn conscience). The conclusion was good, I liked the inevitable ending although, it would have been better if there was a few more seconds dedicated to the ending (particularly the outcome for Diesel's character, did he get away in time? etc.), maybe some post credit notes or something. It just seemed a little abrupt. Overall, the movie was good, I dug it; but like I said, you normally can't go wrong with Giovanni Ribisi (except maybe "Mod Squad" but I blame Claire Danes before I blame him.... just sayin').
January 11, 2014
Unusual casting but well done nonetheless. Pacing was never slow or dull and the movie made you think.
February 13, 2014
Great writing, fantastic characters, all rounded out with a surprisingly star-studded cast. Giovanni Ribisi carries this movie pretty far and Vin Diesel does a great job of bringing it home. However, the ending felt forced and quick. I wanted more. Oh well. Great movie.
February 10, 2014
Not as good as the Wolf of Wall Street but a good movie none the less.
February 2, 2014
2/2/2014: An excellent movie with many now well known actors. An interesting story about greed and cheating honest people out of money. Some memorable lines as well.
January 14, 2007
One of my favorite DVDs back when I only had a small handful of stuff to watch, this one was in heavy rotation and it was fun to revisit it after I don't know how many years.

Ribisi is great as the lead and I really dig Nia Long as the love interest.

Well worth a look, give it a rental.
December 8, 2013
Absolutely loved this movie! Smart talk and cool characters.
February 22, 2009
Boiler Room (Ben Younger, 2000)
[originally posted 6Nov2000]

Yeah, Ben Affleck is in this movie, but who cares? Giovanni Ribisi and Vin Diesel once again show why they're slowly replacing Affleck and perennial sidekick Matt Damon as the hottest young actors in Hollywood. Ben Younger cast this movie perfectly; unfortunately, that's about the only thing he did right.

Younger's auspicious debut focuses on Seth Davis (Ribisi, probably best known to most as "lightning boy" from a memorable X-Files episode), a college dropout running an illegal casino in his living room. Pressured by his father (Ron Rifkin), a supreme court justice, to stop his illegal activity, Seth is ripe for the plucking by his childhood friend Greg (Nicky Katt, now playing the hapless sub on Boston Public), who's a senior broker at a chop-shop style stock brokerage. Davis finds out he's very good at being a salesman, and while Greg turns a seemingly inexplicable cold eye to Seth, a rival senior broker, Chris (Diesel), takes Davis under his wing. Greg and Chris are the kinds of friends who are constantly on the edge of exploding into violence with constant putdowns; not surprising in a high-stress job like this.

The whole firm is run by Jim Young (Affleck) and his pal Michael (Thom Everett Scott), and it becomes obvious to Davis as time goes on that something fishy is happening, but he finds this out while realizing that he's good at being fishy. This leads to an ethical crisis, and... well, see the movie.

Ribisi, Diesel, and the usually-laconic Scott deliver the goods here in the best of ways. Affleck is his
usual self, and one wonders if he'll ever play anything else. The ensemble cast-and despite the focus on Ribisi's character, this is as much an ensemble movie as Glengarry Glen Ross or The Big Chill-is perfect, and many of the minor characters (Nia Long, Scott Caan, and the woefully-underutilized Jon Abrahams) deliver performances up to the same standard set by the big guns. But Younger takes a potentially explosive situation and, instead of focusing on the characters and their interactions through the whole movie, shoves that part of the dynamic to the back in the last half, opting instead for a stock plot. Perhaps Younger should have read King's book; focusing on his characters instead of plotting things out would almost certainly have resulted in a much better film, since that first hour shows he really does have a grasp of what makes humans work. Still, it's worth renting just to catch a few performances by stars who are definitely on their way to the top. ***
dowdy r.
September 10, 2013
about as corrupt as a moldy cock.
July 21, 2013
With perfect pace and always entertaining dialogue, "Boiler Room" gives "Wall Street" a run for its money.
bob  j.
June 1, 2013
for a movie about Wall street it is surprisingly engaging and fast.
September 6, 2010
this movie surprised it, maybe i was in a good mood but i really like it. It gets a little technical at times. as much as i like him I don't think giovanni is good looking enough to be a lead. lots of similarity's to glengary glen ross.