21% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

What Planet Are You From? Reviews

Tim S

April 24, 2009
I watched this movie really wasted, so I'm not sure if this review is really all that fair. From what I remember there are some great, funny scenes from a really talented cast. Kinnear has some really funny asshole moments and John Goodman seems to make anything work. Annette Bening is the definition of a cougar and really brings a real levity to a lot of really stupid situations. The film is cute and inventive at the opening, but then gets bogged down by some really lame stuff. Shandling is funny, but there is this whole running away from the bad guys scene which really turned the movie into a stupid chase film in an already reaching plot. Either way, not terrible and a good way to pass the time while you are waiting for everyone to pass out so you can fall asleep on the couch.
Michael S

January 19, 2008
I can't believe Mike "The Graduate" Nichols directed THIS.
Lafe F

August 17, 2007
Weird flick with lots of Garry Shandling clones. I didn't find this music too fun. I didn't quite get it.
merlynsprankling
merlynsprankling

February 2, 2010
What Planet Are YouFrom? is not about the destruction of earth nor about the inane sex comedy a number of reviewers labeled/described it. The film explores the nature of male/female relationship quite well.

Questions like: How do we meet each other? What are the female motives for entering the courtship dance? The female reasons? Why is communication between the sexes so difficult? What is about the birth of a child that can heal the saddest relationships? And on and on.

The film doesn't pretend to offer much in the way of answers to these questions, but that's okay. It is enough that it simply raises them. As a science fiction flick, this is not much of a close encounter picture. But as a human drama packed with laughs, it's quite good.

Near the end of the film, the audience is shown an exterior shot of Gary Shandling's planet for the first time. It is a Metropolis-like setting and is completely gray. This bit of symbolism is akin to the drabness of male existence without female companionship--towering and impressive as an edifice, but cold and colourless and empty as well.
iLeo
iLeo

January 1, 2008
Hilarious!
funtimes654
October 23, 2010
This movie is kind of funny, but it is not the funniest movie I've seen. Some of the stuff is a little odd-ball, and makes me wonder what they were thinking when they wrote this thing. Not for the Nit-picker in the group.
February 23, 2008
This was horrible. I didn't remember watching it til this popped up. My mind had put this movie away in my mind.
MovieGuruDude72
July 21, 2007
Gary Shandling is only a notch above Albert Brooks in terms of unfunnieness (if that's even a word). His comedies are drier than a taco left in the sun too long. I watched this movie and never once did I laugh or feel even the remotest urge to do so.
October 11, 2006
You know what? I liked the film. I had some fun, nice laughs, and that's all that counts at the end of the day.
August 4, 2013
In the end the smartest guy in the universe, Ben Kingsley, didn't have a clue. Kind of a metaphor for this movie.
December 16, 2012
It made me laugh a few time,but when a movie is as pointless as this one is,that doesn't even matter.
SixDegreesOf21
September 14, 2012
It got a little surprise at the ending for me. And so the credits says Directed by Mike Nichols, well, that's more shocking than an M.Night movie ending.
September 17, 2011
i liked this when i first watched it. It has an impressive cast and a funny concept, it gets boring after a while
Kurtis E.
March 16, 2010
This film has two major problems. One; the characters are either sex driven, sociopaths that present us with no likeable personality features, or their just plain twisted. Two; Garry Shandling is to unsuited for this role. An actor such as Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty or even supporting player Greg Kinnear would be more convincing in the role. Shandling is similar to a vacuum that sucks the life out of every scene he unfortunatley has to appear in.

One of the rare redeemable features of this film is John Goodman, playing a "Big Lebowski" type character; who manageds to make Shandling and Kinnear look much better just by appearing in the same scene as them. Annette Bening performs "well", but her character is too underdeveloped to do much with it anyway.

It leaves me stumped as to why legendary Oscar winning director Mike Nichols, would accept to directing this over-sexed, repetitive and ridiculous film; but yet again, he may have found the vibrating penis jokes ACTUALLY funny.
Academock
March 17, 2004
I can't believe this is the same guy who directed [i]The Graduate[/i]...

[b]What Planet Are You From? (Nichols, 2000) - **1/2[/b]
I think this movie is pretty funny. It keeps you smirking throughout 3/4 of the way. Just seeing all the A-list actors - Ben Kingsley, Annette Bening, Greg Kinnear, etc - acting silly warrants a view. But it should have had 3/4 of the running time. The film is 107 minutes. Too long for most comedies, and way too long for this movie. It is about an alien who wants to impregnate a female from Earth to have a child, so his planet can start to take over Earth. It is a funny enough concept, and it is done classy enough and stupid enough all at once. Not a bad movie. Just too long. Can't recommend all of it. Just parts. (Robot Talk)