High Fidelity Reviews

July 28, 2015
have a insight of a typical man
½ July 22, 2015
High Fidelity is very aware of what makes relationships, work, or in other cases, not work. I like the style, with the narration, being spoken by John Cusack, in person, directly to the audience. I also like the different approach High Fidelity takes, while still being classified as a romantic comedy. It could have fooled me.

Rob is an owner of a record store in Chicago and was recently dumped by his girlfriend, Laura. He runs through his five most effecting breakups and tries to see what made all his relationships end. While trying to find the reason for all of his rejections, he tries to get Laura back.

There's a good cast involved here, with John Cusack in the leading role, surrounded by Iben Hjejle, Jack Black, Tim Robbins, and Joan Cusack. Also the talent of Stephen Frears is unmistakable. High Fidelity hits all the right notes and sets itself apart from the genre standard.
½ July 15, 2015
Terrible directing. The novel is 100 times better than the film.
July 6, 2015
"What came first, the music or the misery?" A brilliant satirical comedy, High Fidelity is full of laughs. After his latest girlfriend leaves him, record store owner Rob Gordon recounts his top 5 breakups and decides to look up them up in order to get closure. John Cusack, Jack Black, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Lisa Bonet lead the cast and give really good performances; especially Cusack, who does an incredible job at delivering the dry humor and at breaking the fourth wall. And the record store motif is used extremely well, allowing for a lot of interesting discussions about music. Additionally, the soundtrack is quite impressive and complements the the tone of the material. Tremendously fun, High Fidelity is a smart and savvy film with some poignant commentary about relationships.
½ March 8, 2008
if anything lacked in the movie, the music makes it up.......
Even Jack Black is brilliant in this for Christs sake
½ June 25, 2015
Me and John Cusack have had a bit of a strange relationship throughout the years. This is, of course, as someone who's watched many films he's appeared in throughout the years. I don't know why you'd think I would know John Cusack personally, you silly people. He's the type of guy who, lately, has done a lot of paycheck films. If you've followed Nicolas Cage's career then you know exactly what I mean. It's not that he isn't good, because even at his worst, he's still pretty good, but you can tell that he isn't inspired or invested in the character or the film the story is trying to present. But when he's on, boy, is he really fucking good. Of course, as you may have guessed, he was absolutely on point in this film. Might've been because he co-produced it and co-wrote the screenplay, but he was pretty great in this film because I don't think he's afraid, and neither is the script, to make the character look like the most unlikable asshole on the planet on his way to 'redemption.' So to speak. Rob Gordon is a character that, at first, comes across as a man makes his ex-girlfriends into these fantasies that broke his heart, instead of looking inward and seeing that he, pretty much, was an incredibly selfish man during all of the relationships he described. The film's story is him revisiting all of his past girlfriends and seeing how, or why, he fucked things up and it's a very satisfying story to tell actually. Because, at first, you're not sure that Laura is really the right woman for Rob. But as the film progresses and Rob explains his relationship with Laura, you do get the sense that this is the person he should be with. It's interesting that the film starts off with Rob trying to get Laura back literally for no reason whatsoever. Even one of his friends brings this up during a scene. And I hadn't noticed it until she mentioned it, but it was absolutely right. He was trying to get back with Laura because it was something to do. He didn't even rationalize why he wanted her back. I just think this is very smartly written and the character progression is really the reason this film holds you. Because it's not like it's a hilarious film, at least it wasn't to me. It's certainly funny, and the fantasy sequences where Rob, Dick and Barry beat up Ian were hilarious, but it's not what I would call a consistently funny movie. The character work is what holds the film together, that's for damn sure. You get to see Rob change as a character throughout the film. And it isn't forced or convoluted, it definitely comes across as very organic and, most importantly, earned. The soundtrack is, obviously, pretty goddamn great. It'd almost have to be considering that a big chunk of it takes place in Rob's record shop. This is the type of movie that definitely sneaks up on you. It's not that I thought it was ever bad, or anything close to that, it's just that, for a movie with a pretty sizable cult following, it just really wasn't clicking for me so much. But once it was over, I thought to myself that it was a really damn good movie. There are movies like that, that sort of sneak up on you, and this is one of them. The supporting cast is really good as well, ridiculously good. The film just has a lot of life. I certainly don't think it's the best film I've seen, but it has a lot of charm and personality. Despite it being a romantic comedy, this is a movie that's definitely gonna require some patience, because it's mostly centered on character development. It's just a very satisfying film to watch on almost every front. I'd definitely recommend it. It's not what I would call a must-buy and it's not even necessarily a must-watch, but I did very much enjoy it and I would heartily recommend it to anyone who asked. Real good stuff here.
June 18, 2015
John Hughes styled romantic comedy for grown ups?
½ June 17, 2015
John Cusack is really unlikeable in this movie. And that's coming from someone who thought they liked John Cusack. The plot is weak. It's kind of a miserable, negative movie. The ambition to grow up and become self-aware is admirable, but overall this comes off detached and sexist. Jack Black was my favorite part.
June 14, 2015
Perfecta mezcla de música, drama y comedia.
En mi top ten de películas de la vida....
June 14, 2015
Another old film I only just got around to seeing. I really enjoyed this as it has elements that most people can relate to and it is backed up by a great soundtrack.
June 6, 2015
za site kolekcioneri na muzika :)
½ September 14, 2014
Fun romantic film, and Cusack does a nice job here.
½ May 27, 2015
Nice story,nice soundtrack with nice acting......nice movie.
July 9, 2009
Con la estampa típica de los 90's, protagonizada por nada menos que el carismático John Cusack, High Fidelity cuenta la historia de Rob Gordon, el dueño de una tienda de discos de vinilos,que no tiene suerte en el amor. Al ser dejado por su última novia, Rob reflexiona acerca de sus relaciones pasadas a ver en que falló y aprender de sus errores para la próxima. En el proceso tiene un nuevo entendimiento que lo acerca hacia si mismo y a sus aspiraciones. Definitivamente el carisma de Cusack logra catapultar esta película que con otro actor no sería lo mismo y sospecho que la nostalgia juega un gran papel en eso, al igual que todas las referencia musicales. Jack Black es como siempre un placer de ver y logra iluminar la pantalla con su presencia. Esta película tiene todos los ingredientes que tenían las grandes películas de los 80´s tales como The Breakfast Club y Sixteen Candles para enamorar al
público.
½ April 3, 2009
Another movie in which I've heard a lot of hype over the years, but ultimately did not live up to it's reputation. It wasn't bad, just a bit boring and bland. I chuckled a couple times, but other than that it was just John Cusack sulking about his ex-girlfriends and being a music snob.
March 16, 2015
This proves that men (as well as some women) remain an enigma to me. But I do enjoy a Nick Hornby creation.
½ July 13, 2007
I thought I had seen this a long time ago but couldn't remember much about it other than John Cusack talks to the screen. Well it was a good re watch. Good acting and a great script.
½ July 14, 2011
Much much much better than the book. I actually don't hate Rob Gordon as much in the movie as I did when reading the book.
January 29, 2015
Hilarious and cutting in its depictions of love and relationships with a scene-stealing turn from Jack Black. Full review later.
December 22, 2011