• PG-13, 2 hr.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Where the Heart Is Reviews

Alice S

January 30, 2013
I was close to selling this DVD, but then decided to give it one last gander before goodbye. I'm glad I did cuz this is really quite a sweet movie about redemption and the kindness of strangers. It's Classic Natalie. She's a bit vegan and weird now, but in her salad days (ironic?), she could really bare her heart in her performances. I also dig James Frain (Villefort from "The Count of Monte Cristo) as the lovelorn Forney.
Red L

September 11, 2012
A feel-good movie where a pretty young pregnant girl (Natalie Portman) gets left at a Walmart in Oklahoma. During the movie, Natalie has to figure out how to have her baby, establish a support network and find a loving partner.
Nicki M

January 25, 2008
An all time favourite - still as good 11 years later as the first time I watched it. This really is the ultimate girl movie - good story to it and great cast. This is one of those rare movies where the movie is better than the book. After seeing this, i got it, and I was really bored by it. This movie really bought the story to life and the people they chose to play the characters are perfect. The only thing that constantly bugs me is the artwork - why has Ashley Judd got dark hair when she is blonde in this!!!
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 23, 2011
A heart warming movie. I really enjoyed this movie & Natalie Portman was excellent in it. I love it :) Just a great movie :) Natalie Portman is just so adorable & sweet & so is James Frain :) A movie that I can watch over & over again :) Natalie Portman is an amazing actress :) :) :)
Spencer S

July 18, 2010
It starts off slow and steady, but suddenly gains momentum. Nice premise, and good acting.
Keysha H

February 18, 2010
So very good!
Bobby H

December 18, 2008
This movie is really good. While there is really no huge actors and it seems low budgeted at points, it's unique in the sense that it still can reach out to nearly everyone who watches it - most hollywood movies fail miserbly at that as they are aimed at one group.

Positives: Actors are not so popular but there good actors, portman for some reason comes off as super-cute in this film too! The storyline while it skips around a little bit and does not really focus on one single concept, it's lifelike. That's what makes this movie so good. It's reality and it has the potential to reach out to any viewers.

Negatives: The only real negative is it some of the less seen characters are really bad actors and typically there were some scenes that I seen no reason for beyond stretching the movie out.

The positives out weigh the very minor negatives in this film by far and fun to watch actors with a life like plot makes a super good movie!
Rachel F

June 25, 2007
This is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. It tells a great story and Natalie Portman is brilliant as always.
Kylie B

April 16, 2007
The usual fluff. A shame, since Portman is such a good actress.
Drew S

February 11, 2007
Occasionally clever, but a mountain of wretched sap.
Michael G

December 6, 2006
If I didn't get to look at Natalie Portman throughout this movie I'd have been really pissed. I was pissed off anyway when I watched it, but at least she was there.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Very well done by both Portman and Judd.
deano
deano

December 22, 2005
I love this drama movie of an innocent southern pregnant teen given baby birth at Wal-Mart and become friendly to strangers.
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 15, 2010
I've never heard about this movie before, it was running on tv so I decided to watch it. I was really pleasantly surprised. This is such a sweet movie about a 17 year old girl called Novalee. Novalee is pregnant and moves with her self centered boyfriend to California where he can pursue his music career. On the way to California they stop at a Walmart so she can use the bathroom and buy some things, but things take a drastic change when she discovers that he has left her there. She feels terrible and has little other choice than to stay at the Walmart night and day. Every person in her life has let her down and in this place she finds some real good people she can call friends. A very touching movie.
Christopher H

July 31, 2011
Dated and blatant, Where The Heart Is basically tries too hard and mish-mashes far too many events and ideas into one film. A critic said it best when he referred to it as "a great big ol' commercial for the Wal-Mart".
Rodrigo R

November 16, 2011
It's a bad love story with an irresponsible father, a suggestion on a number, and many, many references and promotion to Wal-Mart
alice5mith
alice5mith

August 4, 2009
Slightly amusing series of events ilustrating (with or without intention) some biblical precepts like 'look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your havenly Father feeds them' and 'do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing'.
I loved the name Americus for a girl. John would have been not only meaningless, but intolerably insipid.
Sunil J

August 12, 2007
Some parts are like a Lifetime movie but its very watchable.
Marion R

May 5, 2007
A cute story about a pregnant 17 who is ditched at a Wallmart by her boyfriend/baby's father. It's a bit ridiculous at time at certain scenes but overall it was a neat film.
Lee K

May 20, 2008
This was a very good movie for a chick flick, makes you want to kick the shit out of portmans love interest in it however.