10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

½ July 5, 2007
Shakespere is well served by this update that takes The Taming Of The Shrew and sets it in an American suburban high school. Loads of cultural throwaways are spiced with just enough quotes from Willy The Shake to keep those familiar with the Bard amused. Add alt soundtrack, natch. True, the work's original bite has been tempered some but a rose by any other name, eh?
December 26, 2006
good
Chiefilms
February 29, 2008
Great teen movie, doesn't age well.
DreamExtractor
½ February 13, 2011
10 Things I Hate About You is afunny and sweet high school movie that I enjoyed. The storyline is just omay, I enjoyed the characters a lot but the main plot seems done before and cliche, but I still had fun. The cast was really good, Heath Ledger is always a joy to watch, and Joseph Gordon Levitt is such a sweet guy thats its hard not to love him. The comedy was good, I laughed many times espically at Larry Miller as thedad, but it was not nearly as funny as it couldve been. This film had a weak plot and sometimes cliche jokes, and for the love of god do all these high school films have to end at a prom, but this movie a joy to watch with funny characters and really good acting, I enjoyed this film a lot.
movieguru12
December 8, 2007
A Funny and Wild movie! :) TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!! :) I love it!!! :) Awesome Heath Ledger movie :) It's a shame he's not alive anymore. He's an excellent actor & he's soooo cute!!! :) Just amazing :) :) :)
CloudStrife84
April 8, 2007
10 Things I Love About This Film:

1. Hilariously written script, with dialogue that is fun, yet natural-sounding.

2. Julia Stiles, who steals every scene she's in with her amusingly cynical remarks.

3. Consistently enjoyable.

4. Top notch directing all-around.

5. Good soundtrack, if short of phenomenal.

6. Perfectly paced and not a single bland moment.

7. Great supporting cast, with likeable actors such as Joseph-Gordon Levitt.

8. Holds up for repeated viewings (this is the second time I see it).

9. Refreshingly distinguished from the usual teen movie fluff.

10. Heath Ledger, may he rest in peace, made his Hollywood debut with this film and it's one of his most memorable performances aside from The Joker.

Not much more that needs to be said really. A must-see if you're into the high school genre. Or great rom-coms in general.
murphmann93
July 6, 2008
A great chick flick that will have you smiling. Julia Stiles is extremely fiesty and plays the role well. Heath's singing is hilarious... probably what made the movie for me.
May 26, 2007
Heath Ledger dancing up and down on those steps getting restrained by the school's security guards will forever be a staple of contemporary teenage cinema. There are so many memorable scenes in this thing.
3niR
½ February 15, 2010
It was fun to watch. I avoided this movie for a long time but decided to watch it anyway. And I'm happy that it didn't waste my time.
November 28, 2009
The basic idea of 10 Things I hate About You should be terrible, but it ends up being ingenious. You'd think a high school version of "Taming of the Shew" would be ridiculous and stick out like a sore thumb. However, this is so well translated and well put together that there's absolutely no denying that this has become a complete classic. Now as someone who's seen this multiple times, it really never gets old and the character interaction is just as fresh as it was back when it came out. It pokes just enough fun at the source material and manages to be very original within the confines of a re-imagining. A lot of the effectiveness and quality is due to the star studded cast. Anyone who sees it will agree that Heath Ledger's performance is the one that ends up stealing the show, mainly because he's just so cool and perfect in the role. Everyone else is great too and their ability to interact in such a genuine high school fashion is what makes the characters work. As a tail end entry in the 90s teen genre, it's probably the best and has the best standing reputation today. It's kind've hard not to enjoy this.
TomBowler
½ July 31, 2009
teen movies aren't always bad. in the same way ferris bueller's day off became a teen cult classic, 10 things i hate about you has become extremely popular, and with good reason. Heath Ledger is great, rest his soul, and David Krumholtz i great as usual
March 14, 2011
10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favourite romantic comedies. The chemistry between Ledger and Stiles is hilarious and the Shakespeare references from Taming Of The Shrew are quite good.
erika250
½ February 26, 2010
really good plot but it was missing something.
A- It was not the best teen film i saw but it was still really good.
November 20, 2007
Father forbids younger Bianca to go out with boys until unpopular, rebellious older sister Kat begins dating first. Light, breezy update of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew is a first-rate teen romantic comedy. Entertaining material works because of the clever screenplay. It's witty and zings with plenty of catty banter to engage the viewer. Additional credit also goes to the spirited cast with talent to spare. Julia Stiles is nasty with just enough sweetness to be likable and Heath Ledger is pleasing as the boy who charms her. He even sings "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" in this early role. A refreshing addition to films about high school life.
January 14, 2010
This film that finishes off the 90's, comes out on top as one of the best films of the 90's. I absolutely love 10 things I hate about you. It has hilarity, emotion, heart, and lovable characters. Never loses your attention and has you going until the final moment of the film, that will hold a smile on anyones face!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ July 20, 2007
"How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways."

A remake of the classic Shakespare play "The Taming of the Shrew.", set in a modern day highschool.

REVIEW
No one will mistake Stiles and Ledger for Taylor and Burton but there are a few enjoyable moments in 10 Things to make it a marginally worthwhile teen oriented adaptation of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. The likeable teen cast which features many recognizable faces besides the leads do a competent job bringing their characters to life. Unfortunately too many of the characters are written as stereotypes of what the writers think teenagers are supposed to be like. We have all seen these characters many many times before. And the writers couldn't resist having the climax be at the all important prom as if that plot device hasn't been used a million times before. Still despite the clichés, I found myself interested enough to see it through.
July 22, 2008
The classic teen flick: witty banter, paintball, and based off Shakespeare work. Ah, Heath.
December 31, 2006
A good 90's teen comedy/Rom com. Starring a young Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. It is pretty funny in places, I love sarcasm, one of the better high school set comedies but looking a bit dated now.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ May 24, 2009
Loved it. So many great people in one film.