10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

September 28, 2015
A somewhat cult classic of the 90's, filled with cliched scenarios, over-the-top characters, and a little heart.
½ September 17, 2015
I enjoyed watching an updated and interesting remake on taming of the shrew in a high school setting. Heath Ledger was very kind, funny and charming with the "bad boy rep" and played his part well as did Julia Stiles in being a stubborn and outspoken teenage girl she takes on the feminist aspect well. Very cute and funny if you're into romcoms with hidden Shakespeare references. I would definitely watch again!
½ March 26, 2015
It's a decent teen (or "coming of age") movie. It's a bit overrated, though.
½ September 2, 2015
A hilarious teen comedy, with a great performance from Heath Ledger. Rather unrealistic portrayal of teen life, and it does show signs of age though.
½ August 28, 2015
While it really overextends itself in terms of plot, this one is filled with such clever '90s angst and all out cuteness that it's hard not to love it in some capacity.
½ August 6, 2015
While "10 Things I Hate About You" isn't nearly as raunchy as "Superbad" or "American Pie," it's funny, honest, and likable enough that it doesn't need to be.
April 18, 2014
I can't really say much about this movie... I mean, does it really pry away from your average teen romance flick. The characters who fulfill it aren't something special, but the whole ordeal is directed in such a unique way, it becomes fascinating and engaging. First off, there's no real main character. Some would argue that Ledger and Stiles are, but they really just steal the spotlight than anything else. It is revolved around a bet, and a story about how this bet, and a predictable crush, unravel on all characters involved. It was... unique, and that's what I liked about it. Yet, it seems as if all this initiative became wasted when it failed to indulge any depth or fulfillment...
August 7, 2013
One of my favorite rom coms. An excellent modern take on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew
October 7, 2007
??? I'll just put sumthing
½ August 22, 2007
If only high school was fully of dance numbers and house parties like this!
July 27, 2015
This movie has been examined, dissected and analysed by most high school students around the world attempting to answer the simple question, What the hell was Shakespeare on about?. If you have not seen the movie it is an adaptation of Williams Shakespeare's the "The Taming of the Shrew" put into the context of a modern high school setting and all the social trappings and misfortune that comes with it.

The movie is about a new kid at school Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who has his heart set on Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) the most popular girl in school. The issue for Cameron and most of the other boys at School is that Bianca can't date due to a rule set down by her father (Larry Miller). That's until Biancas Father comes up with a new rule explaining that Bianca can date only if her sister Kat (Julia Stiles) does as well. This is no easy feat as Kat is a classical feminist, who is a massive pussy riot fan and has ambitions to lead to Greenpeace missions in Antarctica. Not really but you get the idea. She does call Hemingway a drunk which I liked.

Cameron takes wind of this new rule, so he and is friend Michael (David Krumholtz) develop a plan to "Tame the Shrew" so Cameron can go out with Bianca. See what I did there. The plan involves convincing Joey, (Andrew Keegan) the school Jock to pay for the entire set up, convincing him that he is the one that will be able to go out with Bianca and passing the money onto Patrick (Heath Ledger) the school bad boy to date Kat. Maybe I have not properly conveyed the premise of this movie but it is a plot your accustomed too in this genre.

The story does seem a little Tweeny* for my palate but I actually did enjoy the movie. It had a good mix of comedy, drama and various plot twists, even if I did see them coming. The movie did experience a number of bumps in the road which did at times remove me from the whole experience.

The adaptation is sound I presume, I would be lying if I said I had read the original text. The issue for me was the execution of that story in particular its pacing. Things move to fast, people fall in love immediately, people hate each other straight after, then almost automatically and for no apparent reason they forgive each other again. Or some characters arcs go full circle within the period of recess for example Patrick goes from complete badass to Mother Theresa in a matter of minutes.

Another issue for me was the dialogue between characters. I am still not convinced whose fault it was. A little context, at times during the movie a character will have to say either a direct quote from the original text or a modern adaptation of that quote. Now either 3 things made this aspect of the movie at times excruciating; either that actors delivery was completely wrong, the scriptwriter's wrote it on poorly or we could just blame the director. While I understand that hearing 16th century speak may burn the ear lobes somewhat, I did not find this aspect at all annoying during Baz Lurhmanns interpretation of Romeo and Juliet. So I can't see why this movie should be any different.

I think its hard to blame the cast, particularly 16 year later after the film was shot. If you scroll through the names in this movie it is an A List cast. Joseph Gordon-Levit (Cameron) one of my personally favourite actors at the moment. He straight up was awesome in this movie, quirky, shy, a little confusing but very good. David Krumholtz was the comedic spark in the movie and he delivered, the MVP of the movie. Both Larris Oleynik (Bianca) and Julia Stiles (Kat) were very convincing characters and achieved charm, wit and depth all that the same time.

With the mentioning of the next actors performance I can feel I am going to offend the masses but I did not enjoy Heath Ledgers (Cameron). I am not sure if it was the accent, the projection in his voice or my inability to believe he was a badboy that influenced my conclusion most. A special mention must go to Larry Miller (Father) and Alison Janney (Principal) both were very funny and both almost outshone the main cast in the minimal time on-screen they had.

As mentioned above I really did enjoy this movie, but something keeps gnawing inside of me wanting to watch it again to try to develop a more profound conclusion on the movie. The reason I won't is that I think I know what the outcome will be. I will find further plot holes, be frustrated with the style the movie elected to choose and be ever the more annoyed by Heath Ledger (your eyes wont save you from a performance like this). Think of this movie as a trial game before the big season. 10 Things I Hate About You was simply a tune up movie until these actors found there true calling in life. Either becoming an A list movie star, working on a infamous TV Show or becoming the most iconic comic book villain of all time. 10 points if you can guess all the three I am talking about.

The movie is funny, has an original art style and most importantly entertaining. This is a much watch on Netflix, not because its such a great movie but purely because you get to see early performances of the Hollywood Elites. I will give it 3 out of 5 stars!

Let me know what you thought of this completely outdated review below. Was I completely wrong? Was this post unworthy of your reading time? Is there anyone out there that agrees with me? If you did like it don't forget to subscribe and come back for when I do my review on 12 Monkeys.

*Tweeny: a movie targeted to 12-20 year old females, who like nothing more than a rubbish script, over dramatised scenes, a misunderstood female lead and a good-looking man, yuck
August 27, 2006
njaa man kan la se den...
June 2, 2007
Young Heath Ledger and JGL. Not too cheesy, pretty fun.
½ July 28, 2007
Classic 90s movie with wonderful chemistry between Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. You can't help but root for the "bad boy" even though you want to avoid that cliche moral.
½ July 27, 2007
One of the best teen comedies of all time. It is funny, smart and yet cheesy enough to keep a great balance for most movie lovers. Plus it had some nice early perfomances from Heath Ledger, JGL and Julia Stilles. It has held up nicely, and still has a lot of rewatchablity.
May 11, 2015
Creo que para ser una película de para adolescentes esta bien.
½ April 30, 2015
61% ? What. This was a charming, inspiring movie with a great message - and a good modern teen take on Taming of the Shrew.
February 5, 2008
A somewhat ridiculous premise leads to a petty enjoyable time. One girl played by Larisa Oleynik is not allowed to date until her sister does. Problem is her sister is a boy hating rebel. What follows is a lot of high school shenanigans that made me laugh. If you can suspend your disbelief some I would say there are some laughs to be had with this film.
April 26, 2015
i love this movie so much i wish i was Kat
½ April 17, 2015
10 Things is not your typical teen rom-com, this is actually surprisingly good albeit predictable and formulaic. It has solid performances and a sharply written script which makes 10 Things astoundingly good and really enjoyable as a teen movie.