Chocolat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chocolat Reviews

January 9, 2009
A fairy-tale that obviously doesn't qualify as my favorite. You don't need no Vianne to tell that. Kids, among others, might find this Chocolat tasty.
July 7, 2007
An international all star cast help concoct this pleasing little truffle about walking the thin line between sin and pleasure, magic and reality.
DreamExtractor
April 5, 2011
I thought this was gonna be a dumb romance, but this movie was really good. The true great thing is the music, the score was perfect if you ask me. I think they could've made the town brighter and more colorful if you get what im saying. The acting was great, and deserved more recognition. The plot was well done and fun. This was a very good movie, and I wish you see it.
ajaymuthecooldevils
October 14, 2006
Brilliant movie, brilliant cast, and brilliant story blends with a tempting taste from all the chocolates into a great movie named 'Chocolat'... Juliette Binoche delivers a great performance as Vianne who try to keep her mother's secret recipes by travelling with her daughter from place to place until she arrives in a small and unfriendly French village for her... The other cast did a great job too, Lena Olin, Alfred Molina, Johnny Depp, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Judi Dench, and they're all deserved at least a nominee... But unfortunately only Judi Dench who got it because yes she is hard to resist... Overall it's a really tempting movie about chocolates, wrapped with a great story and great music too...
½ August 3, 2006
Chocolat is a much better film than I?d expected it to be, a small town ruled by religion who?s inhabitants refrain from sin and are expected to refrain from the temptations.

A very enjoyable performance from Juliette Binoche, who truly carries this film and is of course the centre point of the story, this is by far the best of her filmography from those I?ve seen to date.

Worry not Johnny Depp fans, whilst he doesn?t enter the film until a good way through, it?s not one of those cameo roles/small parts that claim it to be a Johnny Depp film when it clearly isn?t and in true Depp style his presence and character in this film, doesn?t quite fit with the people surrounding him.

All in all this is one of those that is quite unique, almost in a fairy tale fashion, with a grown up touch, this is one that pulls you in to the heart of the community and one who?s title doesn?t quite give it the justice it somehow deserves, even though it?s completely fitting.
September 14, 2007
French villagers' conservative lives are spiced up by the introduction of a chocolaterie. A twee 50s drama that tells a touching story if a touch too melodramatic at times. Interestingly, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin's characters are almost exactly opposite to the roles they play in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
This always makes me want to eat chocolate. Yum. Johnny Depp helps with that... yum.
June 15, 2008
Townspeople's lives begin to change under the influence of a woman who opens a small chocolaterie in a repressed French village. Beautiful production values and sophisticated score highlight this engrossing fairy tale come to life. Additionally the superlative performances by the cast go a long way into making this film so enchanting. Occasionally the script's negative view of religion as a means to manipulate people's behavior, can be awfully preachy. However, more often than not, the story is a delightful confection that will make you smile.
November 19, 2009
I think this was extremely overdone and got more attention than it deserved. It is an average script set in beautiful locations with romantic settings. That does not make a movie great. The acting wasn't anything special and the film making was nothing out of the ordinary.
October 19, 2007
A touching and beautiful film.
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
i love this movie and i cryed so i love tearjerkers
its a lovely romcom and i always lov it when the underdog accomplishes his hoals really worth a watch
movieguru12
April 13, 2009
Not what I expected. When I watched this I was very tired and this movie is one that just draged on and you wanted it to end. Johnny Depp fans will be very dissapointed. Seriously!
December 28, 2007
What exactly does one say about this one? Good story, good acting, all around good movie. It paints a very nice portrait of rural France in transition, and shows the stranglehold of catholicism being broken in the 1960s - it's not necessarily the chocolate shop that does it, it's just a microcosm of a greater social change. It questions the things we cling to in the face of change, and the reasons for resisting change. A timeless film.
½ April 22, 2007
Okay, but the use of colour was such a prominant feature of the novel that I can't understand the somewhat sepia or bland-tones used here. Also, the changes are offputting for me (while I wanted Vianne and Roux to get it on, it didn't happen for a reason) .
thmtsang
July 7, 2007
Story about a sleepy village that is awakened by mysterious visitors. An unconventional mother who makes delicious chocolate and an Irish boatsman.
bbcfloridabound
January 3, 2009
I put off seeing this movie, but somehow it made it to the top of my Netflix list, I had moved it down a number of times. After seeing it I can?t believe this movie came out in 2000 and I missed it. Also after seeing it I am sorry that I ever put off seeing it. It was a outstanding movie, but with actors like Johnny Depp, Juliette Binoche Alfred Molina, , Carrie-Ann Moss, Lena Olin, and .Judy Dench, what else would one expect. This is one of those Don?t judge a DVD by its cover. A single mom enters a French village and sets up a candy shop across from the church, and the mayor goes crazy and leads the town people to hate the shop and its owner, but one by one she win?s each ones heart with a chocolate. After seeing this I ran down town and had me two candy bars, something I haven?t done in years, go figure, power of suggestion, Anyway its 5 stars and nothing short of and it goes in the collection. You need to see it.
mwilliams078
October 18, 2008
Chocolat starring Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp, Lena Olin, and Judy Dench is a sinfully good movie. A mysterious lady and her daughter move into this small European village and brings everyone a live with some wonderful chocolate. Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp are great in this film.
½ March 12, 2007
lighthearted and engaging.
MANUGINO
½ November 19, 2007
Great Movie Wow!! When Vianne, a mysterious stranger, and her child arrive in a tranquil French town in the winter of 1959, nobody could have imagined the impact that she and her spirited daughter would have on this community stubbornly rooted in tradition. Within days, Vianne opens a very unusual chocolate shop, filled with mouth-watering confections, across the square from the church. Her ability to perceive her customers' private desires and satisfy them with just the right confection coaxes the villagers to abandon themselves to temptation. The resident nobleman and self-appointed leader of the town are shocked that Vianne is tempting the local townspeople with her delicacies. Fearing it will ruin his town, he pits himself against Vianne and tries to forbid anyone from entering her shop, hoping to run her out of town forever. But when another outsider, the handsome Roux, arrives and joins forces with Vianne to liberate the town, a dramatic confrontation arises between those who prefer the ways of the past and those who revel in their newly discovered taste for pleasure.