The Intruder (The Stranger) (1961)
Release Date: May 14, 1962 Limited
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 771
The Intruder was not only Roger Corman's most daring and unusual film, but a unique movie in the history of cinema, as one of the few theatrical feature films to deal with school desegregation in the South. William Shatner gives the performance of a lifetime as Adam Cramer, a sly, rabble-rousing racist who travels the South in the wake of the Supreme Court's Brown vs. Board of Education decision, fomenting protests and riots and organizing white citizens groups with himself at their head. By
May 14, 1962 Limited
Mar 27, 2001
Pathé-America Distributing Company
Watch It Now
George Clayton Johns...
William F. Nolan
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Shatner gives a very scary performance (this was pre-"Star Trek"). Corman's direction is gritty and uncompromising.
...suffers from an amateurish vibe that extends to virtually every aspect of the proceedings.
Audience Reviews for The Intruder (The Stranger)
- Sam Griffin: [to Adam] Boy, you gonna get grass stains all over those trousers, you don't get up. C'mon. That's better. I figure your work in this town's about over. Ya hurry you can catch the bus to Farragut, they've got trains there. If you're a little light on trav'lin money I'd be proud to - ...you're sure now? Oh, I almost forgot. These belong to you [pours several bullets into Adam's hand]. I wouldn't want to steal from you, Boy.
- Sam Griffin: You know something? We're in the same line, you and me. We're both selling something. Well I've been at it longer - I can see where you're making mistakes. And right now those mistakes are beginning to pile up on you, and in a little while they're gonna smother you.
- Adam Cramer: Get out of here.
- Sam Griffin: I've been studying your pitch - it's not bad you've got technique. But you know what's wrong? You're too clever, Adam. You've got no room in your head for intelligence. Cuz if you were intelligent you'd be able to see that you've started something that you can't control. You think you're the boss now? Wake up, boy, that mob's the boss!
- Adam Cramer: What do you know, ya big boob?
- Sam Griffin: Did you tell them to blow up the church?
- Adam Cramer: You go to school around here?
- Ella McDaniel: aHuh!
- Adam Cramer: I didn't know they had a college in Caxon.
- Ella McDaniel: Oh, they don't.
- Adam Cramer: You don't go to high school, do you?
- Ella McDaniel: [with a smile] mmHmmm.
- Adam Cramer: My, my, they do grow things fast here don't they.
Discuss The Intruder (The Stranger) on our Movie forum!