Driven

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Driven Reviews

Phil H

June 30, 2013
There aren't many films about Champ Car (CART) racing or F1 now I think about it (if any), we did have NASCAR in 'Days of Thunder' but that's about it really I think. But here we have this slick offering from Renny Harlin and starring Stallone...yep.

Lets not beat around the bush here, this is basically 'Top Gun' for racing cars. The plot is completely as you would expect from start to finish. It follows a young hot rod driver trying to win races and gain the trust of his managers and backers whilst juggling friendships and a romance with another drivers bird. Naturally this all leads to problems which affect his racing so he has to battle his inner demons, the press, the spotlight, the fame, family etc...all in time for the big world championship final. Gee I hope he can do it.

So yes everything has that typical Tony Scott/Bay/Bruckheimer type gloss which we've come to expect in films like this. Lots of fancy camera angles shooting very fast cars so they look ice cool, girls in tight skimpy outfits, the lifestyles of rich spoilt drivers, plenty of shades wearing, lots of petrol head lingo, dangerous slow motion accidents and all accompanied by a rip roaring soundtrack just in case you forget this is suppose to be ultra cool.

Predictable plot aside the film isn't all that bad really, the racing on show, I thought, was pretty sweet to be honest and I'm no F1 fan lets get that straight. These types of cars have no visual interest for me but if you try to fantasize real hard this could almost be pod racing in 'Star Wars' hehe. It appears that real footage has been interwoven throughout the film (effectively) but there is also a lot of real stunt work and race action which does work well in my opinion.

Most of the crashes did seem really good to me and quite impressive, and from what I've seen on real footage they are accurate looking too. Massive gas tank explosions, clouds of flames and car debris showering down everywhere, I liked it and it looked cool I gotta admit. Not all of the race sequences were that good of course but a rain soaked race was nicely done showing a drivers pov from inside his helmet as the rain hits his visor.

The best sequence is also the stupidest one, it involves the young hot rod driver throwing a tantrum and running off in a brand new car, Stallone chases after him in another. The catch...they are chasing each other on regular street sections, downtown Chicago. Of course this is absolutely ridiculous and probably impossible due to traffic, people and road conditions but I can't deny its a great adrenaline rush. The fact they actually seem to use real Champ cars on street sections makes for a glorious 'Fast n Furious' type moment which puts a grin on your face. Yeah you can see they aren't going as fast as the engine roar makes out but it just looks n sounds awesome! guilty pleasure moment right there.

Aside from the decent racing the rest is standard dribble involving the young hot rod constantly arguing with rich team owner Burt Reynolds, German rival Til Schweiger (who's character name is 'Brandenburg' just in case you forget he's German), his bit of blonde fluff girlfriend and his Jedi Master-like trainer Stallone. As you would expect in the world of rich racers there is lots of partying, dinners, grand openings, double cross, jealousy, rivalry, my car is better than your car etc...

Add to this all the regular Hollywood emotional crap like the young hot rod overcoming his weaknesses, the guru like trainer who is actually the best driver in the world ever!, girlfriend wars, a near fatal accident, the hard ass team owner who has a change of heart at the end and of course the HUGELY stereotypical big race finale. Surely you know what will happen right?.

Its all about the visuals and for me it worked, the film looks great, sounds great and makes you wanna jump into your car and drive like a maniac. I can see how it may have disappointed people wanting a really good sensible F1/Champ Car flick. Its a bit of a cluster fudge really, Harlin has clearly gone for realism but can't help himself by adding total nonsense moments that break that reality. So end of the day in terms of a realistic racing flick its touch and go, in terms of a fun rollercoaster flick its not too bad and should have you smiling, obvious nasty shabby CGI moments aside that is.

The film was a flop upon release but I kinda like it for what its worth. Its a race car film and it delivers in that aspect so job done really.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 30, 2011
Mediocre action film directed by Renny Harlin, Driven is a poorly constructed actioner that not even the good looking racing scenes could save. This is a film that doesn't satisfy, and the cast are terrible in their roles. Driven could have been a good film if it had a better script, a better cast and director. Renny Harlin is the type of director that is really hit and miss. In the case of Driven, it's a miss. Driven could have been a good film, but it misses the mark. The only thing the film relies on is its racing sequence, which I admit are great, but the overall problem with the film is that it lacks substance to its plot, and the film goes nowhere. Like I said, the racing sequences are good, but that's about it. The acting is shallow, unimpressive, and you don't care much the characters. Aside from the entertaining racing bits, this film boring, and Renny Harlin has scored another mediocrity fest. This could have been a great film if it had a different director and a much better script; instead the film is plagued with clichés, bad actors and bad characters. Thus, Driven isn't all that good. Once the credits roll, you end up having mixed feelings on the film, and you realize that the film isn't that good. The film is quite mediocre with only a few mildly entertaining bits with little substance or satisfaction.
Cynthia S

October 14, 2010
Oooooooh. It was pretty good. Why is everyone always picking on poor ole Sly?..
movieguru12
movieguru12

August 20, 2009
Just a fantastic movie about working together with people even if they are your enemies. Slys acting was great as well! :)
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Not as bad as I thought it would be.
Jason S

January 8, 2008
Ok but it falls a little short in the story for me. Stallone's character is given a bum deal through the whole thing and we are supposed to care for the rookie he is there to help but he isn't very likable.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
really dumb.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
decent watch but a little rediculous
deano
deano

November 29, 2006
Whoa! What a speed and wild in the racing competition including on the road at the city.
Roy G

October 22, 2006
An average race-car movie with a few cool scenes and blatant special effects.
Luke B

August 20, 2006
This movie wasn't exactly great. So i'm afraid I have no excuse or reason as to why I enjoyed it so much. It was simply a laugh. It wasn't too bad and I guess the performances were as good as they were ever going to be from a C list cast. A good look at how Hollywood can take anything and make it very overblown. Just a very guilty pleasure.
Steven V

February 9, 2007
Once again Sylvestre Stallone is amazing in this movie. Very good!! Good Race!!!!
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

December 6, 2009
The cast is intriguing, headed by Sylvester Stallone and Burt Reynolds. The movie is about a rookie (Kip Pardue) who is burning up the track of formula racing, but lacks the discipline so Stallone is called in by Burt Reynolds to help his star rookie get that certain edge.
The racing scenes were good and I enjoyed them. The crashes are impressive (a little over the top lol) and the special effects that put you "in the driver's seat" are breathtaking, accented by a thundering rock soundtrack. But the best car movies for me were the Fast and the furious followed by Gone in 60 Seconds.
Marcus W

November 2, 2007
Renny Harlin has made a career out of mediocre films, and here's another, but at least it's fun (possibly due to Stallone's writing skills). It sticks to a rigid format of introduce next country montage, race with at least one (SLOW MOTION, CGI-ENHANCED, MULTI-VIEWPOINT) crash, melodrama behind the scenes, various montage - repeat for 105 minutes. There's a soap opera plot about everyone being in love with Warren or Gershon, and the usual spiel about racing for the love of racing. Like everything Harlin has ever done ever, it's entertaining but easily forgotten the next day.
iLeo
iLeo

December 7, 2007
This movie, I definitely remember Gina Gershon for! Remarkable performance.
Mr. C

May 26, 2007
At the time of this movie, I was a big CART fan, so I had high hopes this movie could help its image....it didnt do anything except drain time out of peoples lives. Worst Stallone film ever.
December 4, 2011
January 2, 2011
Decent racing movie. Probably would have enjoyed it more if it werent for that lame kid who stars in this. He has no charisma whatsoever.
BantamDraper
May 6, 2010
Awful characters and not believable stunts. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care about any of these people or their problems. The track action is just way too over the top (no pun intended).
March 11, 2010
"Driven...I think I've seen that...oh my god, I HAVE seen that!"

There is shame in that realization...I just cover it well with laughter.