• Brother

Brother Reviews

garyX
garyX

April 3, 2007
When an uncompromising Yakuza leaves Japan to prevent the ignition of a gang war, he joins his brother, a small time drug dealer in America and shocks both his friends and enemies with his ruthless brutality. But when their fledgling organization reaches the attention of the mafia, the cycle of violence soon spirals out of control. Kiteshi Kitano's culture clash gangster movie has the unlikely friendship between his stone-faced and laconic Yakuza and wisecracking petty hustler Omar Epps at it's core, punctuated by explosive bursts of visceral action. It contains his trademark humour, "gangsters at play" and simple yet beautiful direction that relies on stoic imagery and composition rather than the endless dolly shots and pointless colour filters that seem to plague modern cinema. One minor gripe is that Takeshi clearly tempered his vision for the sake of American audiences and his usual uncompromising nihilism is diluted to provide a (semi) happy ending. Not his best, but the familiar US settings and English dialogue make Brother the perfect entry point for anyone unfamiliar with Beat Takeshi's work.
Anthony L

September 4, 2009
Something was lost slightly when Kitano decided to come over to the west and make an English speaking film. The supporting cast were such in awe of him and it showed on film and made for uncomfortable viewing. That said, this film contains one of the most shocking and unexpected twists that I?ve seen for a long time. It?s still Kitano, it's still good.
Pierluigi P

February 9, 2008
Takeshi Kitano creates a peculiar, paused, funny, highly violent but somewhat touching clash between the eastern and western underworld.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

October 1, 2007
A compendium of ideas that Kitano has previously explored, and with far better results, in Sonatine, Violent Cop and Hana Bi. Not a bad effort per se, it just feels like a long deja vu, and eventually becomes just a shooting gallery for Kitano. Don't get me wrong, watching Kitano killing gangster after gangster can be fun, but it can also get repetitive after a while.
Stephen M

January 27, 2008
As ever, the first order of business for Takeshi Kitano, director, is ensuring that Takeshi Kitano, actor, looks cool at all times. In this particular vanity-project he plays a Yakuza exiled to the United States, who rises through the underworld ranks to become a powerful mob boss -- much like Pacino's Tony Montana in "Scarface" -- before an ill-advised war with the Mafia brings his empire crashing down. Also like "Scarface", the nature of Kitano's business once he's hit the big-time is very superficially sketched, jettisoned in favour of painfully unfunny culture-clash comedy, excruciating sentimentality and a lot of honourable Yakuza self-mutilation. The absence of plot leaves one plenty of time to reflect whether Kitano's anti-heroes would be quite so laconic if he were a better actor. "Brother" is indifferently acted, as unattractively photographed as a TV movie, and it has a ghastly, maudlin jazz soundtrack. Of the half-dozen Kitano movies I've seen, this is the worst.
kpn666
kpn666

May 15, 2007
Superb gangster movie! A grey film of sorts where there is no spectrum of colors, only shades of grey - metaphorically speaking. the term i would use is faux zen: style without substance. and funnily, it works.
Wu C

August 27, 2006
My favorite so far by Kitano. This yakuza flick has a perfect blend of drama, humour & violence. So many great sequences. Don't miss this!
RicardoCraneo
July 12, 2011
Much better than the other dry and lifeless works the director has made. Still only my fourth from Kitano. I think it's only fair to judge him based on his best though? Brother is dense, unique, violent, badass, funny. It turns a lot of cliches on their heads and best of all a two hour add on (An extension of the rising actions) would've not harmed the film one bit - it's that diverse and entertaining with the plot. It's great how it paints a Yakuza as so cruel and intimidating, yet there's still a soul within the story and character. Some of the acting gets choppy and you can tell it's because of the style of the directing, but there's no net damage because we just can't get over the awesomeness of the concept of oriental organized crime intermingling out of its native territory and into America..
August 30, 2010
An exiled Yakuza turns up in America and reconnects with his half-brother. Together they begin to take over the local drug scene in increasingly dnagerous altercations, which will ultimately come back to haunt them.

The film is okay, but to be perfectly honest the best thing is Kitano's performance, and I've liked him much more in other films.

It's worth a rental, but nothing I'd recommend that you check out first when Kitano has many other, better films out there.
ilonangu
May 25, 2009
I do recommend this movie, though because of it's somewhat complexity of the story, it may not be to everyone's liking
December 12, 2006
This film is a classic kitano gangster film but with a twist. The film takes place in Los Angeles and has just as much English and it does Japanese. The film is much more violent than the other films Kitano has done, but is still very entertaining. The movie has tons of shoot outs and leans more on the side of action rather than drama. The film was given bad reviews for not being the typical "Kitano Film" but he wasn't going for that. The move out of Japan showed that Kitano wanted to do something different with the genre and overall he did. Brother is nothing like Sonatine, but still a well executed Kitano film.
zmhdragoon
August 25, 2007
Takeshi Kitano is a genius when it comes to both acting and writing/directing. One of the top three best gangster movies I've ever seen.
July 11, 2007
Not Kitano's best, but a personal fave. I really really like this film for some reason. It's basically Scarface done Kitano style. Which is cool. :>
igotthisblaster
May 8, 2007
Stylized Art House Gangster flick. "Beat Takeshi" is always worth watching. But see his Japanese films first... this is an American production that loses some of his flair!
regisb1977
March 16, 2007
Bout time africans and japanese find some kind of bond. This is one of my all time favorites. Takeshi has always captured my attention with his absent minded realness when he acts. In my opinon, he always played the best gangster roll in a movie. Cant stand over the top acting when it comes to gangster movies. We all know the quite ones are the REAL killas, lol.
miwalyric
January 17, 2007
I love how he doesn't have much dialogue, just like a Kurosawa film, not all films always need a huge script.
Darxness
January 7, 2007
Great acting by Beat Takeshi and Omar Epps. A mix of action, drama and humor perfectly blended together making a good movie.
June 15, 2006
Brother is a great film by one of my favorite directors. Beat Takeshi (Takeshi Kitano) directs and stars in this American, Japanese film that's both equally. One of the best fish out of water and best Yakuza films you'll ever see. The cast is great, the soundtrack is great, the characters are well developed and directed and the tone of the movie is classic. I loved it. A total favorite.
aelric99
May 30, 2006
not at all what i expected. i thought this was going to be kitano unfortunatly whoreing himself out for a "rush hour" style action comedy, but it's really a great gangster flick about loyalty and trust.